VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Rastinha

Posts by Rastinha

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

2020 Lockdown Review Pyramid Scheme

Ok I finally finished all my reviews, so sorry about the delay folks! Hope some of you find your way back to the forum to see and check in the screening room :)

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Rastinha

What kind of rules would you like to see in Ultra next time?

Wow, these 2 films ideas are really out there for the solo-ists among us (speaking purely for myself at how hard 2 solo animations would be in one weekend!)

I always liked the idea for ultra of adding a second, left-of-center genre, like the genres that aren't really genres, on top of it. So everyone gets some kind of story-type genre like horror, coming of age, time travel, science fiction, last person on earth, or whatever.

But then ultra teams with their second number get like, a film structure type genre on top e.g. real-time, one shot, non-linear, silent film, intersecting storylines etc.

Teams would end up making a silent horror, or non-linear coming of age, or one-shot sci-fi etc. These genres you'd only need a few of each year mixed with the regular genres. The actual ones could be random every year so you wouldn't know what you were getting, but the actual nature of ULTRA would be fully known by everyone signing up for it. It would challenge creativity but not overly constrain etc.

I reckon that could work quite well.

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

Rastinha

Judging this competition

in reply to Mista Teas:

"getting-ready-for-the-day-toast popping-jam spreading-jug boiling-tomato slicing" montage at the start.

Haaa haaaaa I did this in 2014 in my first year back in since 2008. 2006-8 were uni days, random teams, made all kinds of crazy stuff so 2014 was the year Pastafarian Productions was born and the first year I had a DSLR and 50mm lens to film with so I had fun with those shots! Have since learned everybody has fun with those shots, lol.

Rastinha

Most of the ones I've done (and I just have a few left to do now after more vet trips and a day of migraine this week conspiring against me!) the reviews all seemed pretty constructive.

As others have said, constructive criticism can sting, but if it's not nasty, it is really, really valuable for improving your craft and getting better results each time you do the comp. I always try to make a feedback sandwich - start with what I loved, offer something constructive that I reckon could improve it (which doesn't mean it was done badly, it's just much easier to be *more* objective about other people's films than your own so you can often find improvements), and then end with more encouragement/positive stuff.

If you see any that are outright nasty, do report them because that's not in the spirit of the comp. But reviews should have meat on the bones. I've been reviewing every Taranaki film for the past... 4 or 5 years and not many people have gotten into the reviewing there, so I always rely on the pyramid scheme to get valuable feedback to improve my films and see what worked for people etc.

Glad so many people made it into the scheme this year, was a bit worried the forums would be too quiet :)

Rastinha

Hey folks, I've been dealing with a sick bunny over the weekend and yesterday, back and forth from vet, so I've done some reviews and will be catching up on the rest starting today. Apologies for the delay!

Great to see so many people in the scheme :)

Rastinha

Judging this competition

in reply to Mista Teas:

Great discussion here. Some excellent ideas, thoughts & reflections. Ahh, the civilized 48HR forum.

I guess the forum is kind of like the best of the commentary, while the FB group is like, a showcase of it ;)

Rastinha

Team Reflections: 2020

Well, I spent all of the weekend before working on this gem:

Then they announced 48 hours lockdown and TBH I wasn't in a mood for another weekend of animating right away, haha. But I thought, I'll whip up something dumb in 24 hours instead! Needless to say once I was in, I was in it for the long haul. So my achievement is I actually did it, haha.

I'm actually quite proud of the film I made as a solo effort. I'm still quite fresh with animating, and planning stories to tell via animation. Brainstorming is HARD by yourself. I never have any idea if things make sense in solo efforts. So in the end I roll with whatever sleep-deprived me finds funny. A gamble, but at least I know I'll still laugh a year later when I watch it!

I'm pleased that my production values are getting better over time (animating helps as doing a solo/duo film project when you're the only technical person is haaaaard too). And that my audio was pretty clean!

Oh, also I usually have a bunch of little 'extra things' I want to do if I have time, and usually I have to leave more things out, but this time I got to add in a few of the extra things instead, so that was a win.

Drags: an arc show when you're a beginner 2D animator! But learned how to use cameras, so I suppose that's a win in the end :)

Rastinha

Judging this competition

in reply to themorgan:

I'd really like to see it change to being a big panel of former category, region, and national winners. Like an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of 48hours folks

This! I would love this! Every year there are people who can't compete for various reasons, and if they're seasoned folks they would make a great judging panel. Especially regionally where the smaller regions struggle to get people who have really even got any connections/experience with the industry or comp.

I prefer the 5 min films though, 3 mins is nice for this competition, but I wanted a bit more meat on the bones of the stronger teams films. There are still a lot of excellent films, but they're really no more than simple vignettes. 3 mins is a great length for new teams though, much more manageable in 48 hours, and to watch. Maybe Ultra could become, once you've had 5 year's experience or won something locally or nationally you're allowed an extra 2 mins in your film, haha :)

Rastinha

Judging this competition

Yeah I agree that more feedback would be both better and worse, haha. It's a complicated kettle of fish, and definitely, I think, exacerbated this year by people not getting to vent on the way out of the cinema as Andrew said. Plus everyone's a little tightly wound from being in lockdown!

Judging is always very subjective, and you'll never please everybody. But I think people get most frustrated when ones get through that don't line up with the judging criteria we ARE told about. Not all finalists always fit into story is king, and clever/good use of all the elements and their genres, and that can be a bit frustrating. Something can be a really good short, but only have a slight nod in the direction of their genre and slap the required elements on top, which seems not quite in the spirit of the competition.

However, everything said and done I'm stoked we got a bonus 48 hours this year, and it was free, and the team worked so hard to put it together in a short time frame, so thank you everyone! I would have loved to see nominations for the award categories, and a shortlist even released afterwards, so that it will be easier to find the gems in the screening room, as having it all in one big feed makes it hard to know where to start (apart from at the top, lol).

P.S. @Andrew Todd, loved your film "The Quiet Moon", just sneaked a peek from your signature :)

Rastinha

I thought I would start one of these here as the FB page has gotten really noisy, haha. Of course this forum might be too quiet but worth a try.

I'm also missing that the films are not all listed to review right after you watch them so, although I will sift through the screening room and review ones I watch, I'd love to get some reviews too and target my review efforts a bit 🙂.

So, if anyone is still here, here's a link to my film and I'll definitely review yours too if you post it!

Remember ideally you review everyone before and after you.

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/tonight-on-extreme-quickfire-trivia/

Rastinha

New reviews / screening room!

Also: correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems like it's currently only possible to post reviews of films that have been posted online? Surely this has gotta change when we return to screening films in cinemas.

Yeah, I would hope that long term we still see all entered fils listed, just with a placeholder thumbnail until the films are uploaded, so we can still review them even if they're not uploaded.

If not I suppose that will mean more people will watch and review those who do upload theirs, which I suppose is still fair, lol.

Looking forward to the explosion after the screening!

Rastinha

Lockdown genre numbers (a math nerd's theory)

I did a lazy math nerd statistical analysis on the thread where everyone said their genre numbers, which was obviously only like 50 odd people, so probably not representative of the 2000+ entries (because I'm too lazy to work that part out, lol).

Graph looked like the attached so I picked 6. I needed a good reason so I wouldn't be heartbroken if my 'free choice' ruined it all, lol. 6 is also an upside down 9, which is what I would have chosen if there were 9 genres.

They might wish they went with 15 genres given the number of entries now :)

Rastinha

New reviews / screening room!

Ah damn, I liked the ratings as it helped me get a good idea of my own improvement year on year and how my different films were received! I wish I could have downloaded that data first (my fault for not being a super spreadsheet geek and saving it anyway I guess!).

Love that they're combined though, how cool.

Would like to see the city finalists with banners for sure, there's a lot of films to wade through in Auckland that aren't winners!

Also like the idea of clicking a team to see all their films. But I know they can't implement everything at once, hopefully they'll do this.

Please please can they set up a special category for the year 2020:lockdown so everyone's go up, really want to see more than just the finalists :)

Rastinha

2020 Lockdown Roll Call

Pastafarian Productions was in, waaaay late for roll call! But got a solo animation done and handed in, yay.

Hope everyone had fun!

Rastinha

Review Pyramid Scheme (is anyone stilll here?)

Toowit Toowoo I'll do yours ASAP, everyone else's I have done :)