VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Forum > Posts by Rastinha

Posts by Rastinha

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Review Pyramid Scheme (is anyone stilll here?)

Toowit Toowoo I'll do yours ASAP, everyone else's I have done :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Rastinha

Filling up the screening room

in reply to star striker:

y computer just gets an error page coming up after ive filled out the initial city and team information page.

Double check the spelling of your team name, and if unsure go and see how it's written in the reviews site, as that's how it will be in the database. A couple locally couldn't get their initial info to load because they were down as the singular version of their name rather than plural (I spotted difference in review site). Once you get to the next page you can correct the team name for screening room purposes if it's wrong.

Hope that helps! If still unsure let me know your team name and I can see if I can help :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

Rastinha

Christchurch City Finals: morning-after de-brief/-lirium/-tox

Yeah, I agree with what you've said about all of that, especially the deliberation bit. That to me seems key for judging something so subjective, there are parts of all films one person would miss/not notice subtleties about, especially for winners.

Rastinha

in reply to Andrew Todd:

ranked balloting and no in-person deliberation

Yeah I'm also not sure that's the best strategy for this kind of thing given how subjective film is :). I will be interested to see what the non-placing Chch films that are finalists are like as I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how the judging works, but I feel like a quick briefing on what makes a good film/use of the elements/story etc. would be a good start, then everyone scoring films on a bunch of criteria like how the elements are used, story, technical etc. etc., and tallying it all up, then looking at the order of films and discussing in person (or video call) anything that seems out of sorts until everyone agrees on the final lineup/awards would be good.

Rastinha

2019 posters

in reply to Rowox:

Here is The Big Number by The Directors

Love it! :D

Rastinha

Review Pyramid Scheme (is anyone stilll here?)

Hey guys,

Going to try my luck at getting this started again since everyone apart from "The Big 18" can upload their films now.

Remember the rules are by posting your film you agree to review every film posted both before and after yours until the forums die off again for another year :)

Here's my solo, ultra, first-time-animation, musical, gross-out comedy "DopeMonkey Live" that I'd love some reviews for!

Screening Room link: https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2019-1/taranaki/dopemonkey-live/
Review link: https://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2019/taranaki/02/pastafarian-productions

Rastinha

Finalists

Yeah, it looks like they are doing Best Ultra as best use of ultra elements, which is good, as you could make a stellar film that's finalist-worthy, but someone whose film wasn't finalst material might have had a better way of using the ultra elements.

Very cool to see a diverse range of centers represented in the finals! Can't wait to see all the ones I've been hearing heaps about from the big centers :)

Rastinha

in reply to AJ:

I've become very sick with a flu. I think my body was doing me the honours of holding it off until as soon as the finals were over.

My body did this on shoot weekend, my partner was sick as from Tuesday and I started to feel it Friday night, but charged onwards through a weekend with little sleep, then on Monday I felt like I'd been hit by a bus and was bedridden for a few days. Interesting how your body can do that!

Really enjoying living vicariously through other cities' stories while I wait for Taranaki final, haha. Chch seem to have a great community with a lot of people engaging online 🙂

Surprised Night Shift didn't place, but then I've only seen screenshots and read reviews of things, haha.

Rastinha

in reply to Bloydd:

Maybe it could be something like the city finalists are uploaded a week or a month after the comp if they're not already up & you can opt out of having yours go up for whatever reason.

This is pretty much what I was thinking, like after grand finalists are out, city finalists that aren't grand finalists get a window of time to upload, then the back catalog gets completed by The City. Entry forms include a box to tick to opt out of having film uploaded if they're a finalist.

Actually I just realised I have 2006 and 7 to add to screening room too I think, I found the digitised files for them a few weeks ago and put on YT but not screening room. I shall practice what I preach and add them tomorrow!

So interesting to see the caliber of the films improve over time

Rastinha

Fair enough for the bulk of general films, but what about city finalists? Surely having a record of those would be worthwhile and people would be far less likely to want to never have people see those again?

Rastinha

in reply to ruth:

some teams don't want them uploaded

Fair enough I suppose, you could always make it a condition of entering, that it will be uploaded to screaming room via 48's YouTube channel. You have to agree to that kind of thing for other comps.

Or at least that all City finalists will be uploaded or something? Very exciting to hear about upgraded to screening room though and combination with reviews 🙂

Rastinha

Christchurch Finalist Prediction Thread

Yeah, ours was DQ'd for being a few mins late after they got there on time first but with the wrong stick. So not for not adhering to the elements.

Rastinha

I was looking back through the Taranaki screening room history today, and thinking "Man, out of at least 10-15 finalists every year most years and more entries, there are like 5 films uploaded".

I think small regions especially suffer from this as people seem to disengage fully from the comp once the heats are done, or finals if they're in them (hard to get reviews, not many people in the FB group or on forum, very few films get uploaded).

It feels like a real shame losing 75% of the films created each year because they all bring something interesting to the table, so maybe there's an alternative way to get them all to the screening room? City managers obviously end up with all the film files, and all of the credits. Maybe each city could have a 48 hours youtube account, and a group of volunteers could have access and upload the films that weren't finalists after city finals, and the rest once grand finalists announced?

I would very happily upload ~1-5 films to help make screening room a more complete archive, and I bet there's at least a few people in every city that would do that.

Thoughts?

Rastinha

Christchurch Finalist Prediction Thread

Taranaki has:

2 finalists:
Coming of age

1 finalist:
Opposites attract
Wrong place/wrong time
Sci fi
Nature run amok
Gross out
Musical
Time travel
Generation gap

Other notable statistics:
- 4/10 finalists are school teams
- 4/18 school teams that entered are finalists
- 6/8 adult teams that entered are finalists
- 7/10 finalists are repeat finalists, 7.5 if you count one team made up of some people who have been finalists before but rejigged a bit.
- 4/4 school team finalists are repeat finalists

Our one ultra that's not a finalist was DQ'd

*Statistics to the best of my knowledge are correct but don't quote me on it, lol.

Rastinha

2019 Thoughts

The other thing I like star ratings for is given that each year i try to get a handful of reviews through forums etc, so from a varied crowd, I like being able to compare the films I've made year on year with each other. Especially since there are always some of the same people reviewing. It's interesting to see if the overall impression is improving over time, or if the first one I did has a higher rating than this years etc.

I'm always a fan of quantitative + qualitative data for the best picture... So would prefer to keep 7 stars (even though I hate it) rather than have no stars at all...