48 Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Rastinha

Posts by Rastinha

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

Well I thought I'd just jump in and add my opinion because I can, lol.

I can see where both sides are coming from, and I don't think there's a right or wrong option, they both just have slightly different results.

It's definitely true, and a very good point that "if you supervise the methods, you can't hold people accountable for the results". But it's also true that this is a pretty unique situation.

Of course, everyone should be able to make a film without a gun, but it's also true that many films contain triggers for many people even if they're G rated.

I think the course of action with the least fallout would be pointing out that, especially in Christchurch, it would be advisable for teams to ensure that whatever their story (guns or no guns) they're sensitive about the events of March 15. Then let people know that films with gun violence (or any other related content deemed insensitive e.g. white supremacy) may be censored higher than usual and grouped and shown together at the start or something so people can choose to sit them out then watch the rest and awards in one go.

Someone who has been directly affected by the shooting may be entering 48 hours, they may have a moving story to tell in that time, it may be a form of healing for them as so much art is for people.

Films are designed to make people feel stuff, and I think just advising people to be sensitive specifically about that event and that screenings will also be exercising discretion over how films are played, is a way of not having a big backlash that would come from a ban, and keep things open enough.

Having said that, people are generally more receptive of things they have input in, so there would be no harm putting it out there to the people to say would they support the exclusion of guns in films this year in solidarity with Chch, or comment for other solutions?

Just some thoughts.

2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2013: MIA
2012: MIA
2011: MIA
2010: MIA
2009: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Rastinha

2018 Pyramid Review Scheme

Would love a couple more reviews if anyone is still out there... Only have 2 (1 from screening, 1 from pyramid scheme) despite writing like 30 myself, lol. Thanks if anybody is still out there!

2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

Rastinha

Working my way through the later ones. Don't forget early adopter folks, every film before AND after your post! :)

Rastinha

Yay, I can share my film! Thanks in advance for any reviews, much appreciated as have only had 1 from locals! I'll review all of the others tomorrow :)

Without further ado, here is "Heist School Musical", our overly ambitious musical short that we're mainly happy we finished in time, haha. Pro-tip: don't choreograph a finale dance at 3am on Sunday in a team full of non-dancers because it will take you 51 takes and until after 4am to get a halfway decent shot of it, lol.

Screening room:
https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2018-1/taranaki/heist-school-musical/

Review page:
https://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2018/taranaki/01/pastafarian-productions

Also

Mannequin Shenanigans

I loved this film :) Not sure if that's you Ian, but hey from Hannah from Code Avengers if it is! Cool to have your team in the Taranaki pool this year :)

Rastinha

Christchurch - fantastic year

in reply to Clayton Hiku:

I think some of the ways to increase the camaraderie in the city community is also to organise pre/post finals hangouts.

I talked to our city manager about this after our final this year, so hopefully we can organise something in the lead up to next year. But I can barely get people to show up to the reviews website, which they only have to click on a link to from FB and sign in with the FB account they're already signed into, so not sure how easy it will be to get anyone along to a get together. It's gutting when you're the #1 reviewer, but because you write all the other reviews your film gets like, 1 review, lol. Enough of that tangent!

Hoping to run a Q&A session locally next year, and maybe even a couple of small workshops on basic film making stuff in the lead up. There are often quite a few people interested in doing it but a fair few who don't have technical expertise. We could divi up a few teams almost if there were more editors around for example. But yeah. Definitely using CHCH as some inspiration to try to build our community :)

it's worth noting that CHCH peeps also seem to be over-represented on these forums too

I'm just glad there are still some other people on here, since even on the FB group the discussion can be a bit sporadic!

Rastinha

Christchurch - fantastic year

Sorry to hijack your thread CHCH, but I'm like the only Taranaki person on here so I have nobody to talk to, lol.

I think this pretty much nails it too:

End of the day, you want to give as much leeway as possible without allowing teams to completely disregard the challenge. Then the judges evaluate their take on it accordingly, just as they would use of genre or elements.

However, having the organisers try to think of the most obvious questions people would ask or clarifications that could be made and making it clear at the launch that these can be found on the website would help without too much extra strain.

I think ultra films should be judged based on the added ultra criteria, but absolutely think there should be a regional certificate for it. From a smaller center's perspective, for example, we have several really capable teams, but only 1 who has chosen ultra both years, and they fully deserved some recognition for doing that. My team still makes average as films even though I've personally done this like 8 times (in various incarnations of teams), so we haven't taken on ultra yet. But one thing that I've noticed about good teams, is that there are 2 types. Those who make *diverse* good films year after year, and those who make *the same* good films year after year.

Ultra is the kind of thing that takes the second group of good teams and makes them take some risks. It's easy to get comfortable with a good ol' comedy type film and do well with it in 48 hours, especially in a small city, but I admire teams who pull off vastly different good films over the years and I think ultra is there to shake up teams who get comfortable.

For that reason I think there should be a regional award so more good, comfortable teams are encouraged to do it, forced to change their style up a little perhaps (depending on the ultra requirement) and then rewarded for doing so. Levels the playing field a little, and makes things a bit more dynamic from year to year. You'd think genres alone would achieve that, but given that the genres are quite varied (which I love) and sometimes more related to tropes etc. often you get films that are tonally identical but with a different plot from well-oiled-machine teams :)

Just have to also add I can't wait to see all the city finalists and the grand finalists. You guys down there in CHCH have such a great 48s community and always produce some awesome films! Been talking to our city managers trying to work out how we can emulate a bit more of CHCH's 48s spirit, but it's hard in a small place with only 15-25ish teams each year!

Rastinha

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

in reply to themorgan:

48hours shorts play completely differently in front of an audience on a cinema screen than they do on a laptop or TV.

Yeah, but the vaaaast majority of 48ers will be watching the grand final literally on a laptop or a TV, that's why I'm saying let everyone upload after their city final is done. At least with the announcement today we only have to wait 3 days after the Auckland city final to get grand final nominees, but that's still 22ish days after the first city's final (smaller regions where people are less involved in the whole process anyway), so a lot of those folks will probably have lost a bit of interest or not upload their films etc. by that stage, since all of them were city finalists too with no heats.

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that there would be a lot of people who attend the grand final that would then change their mind about going if the films had been in the screening room for a couple of weeks before the announcement and they'd seen some. Especially since before then none of us would know who the finalists were going to be, so the chances of having watched all 15 would be kind of slim.

Rastinha

This isn't really related to elements, but I wish we could get rid of the "you can't upload until the national finalists are announced" rule. I get why it's there, but it suuuuuch a long time to wait when every video in a small city is a finalist so you have to wait for the announcement, and then no Taranaki films end up in the screening room because everyone's forgotten about it by the time they're allowed to upload.

I think everyone should be able to upload their films after their city final has happened. By then, if there's been heats and a final, or just a sold out final like Taranaki and BOP had, then a couple of hundred people have seen the film already anyway. Ones in the screening room at the moment that were some of the first to go in there (DQs and early city final announcements) have had 100, maybe a couple of hundred views some of the more talked about ones. If they all got uploaded around now at the same time, after the city finals instead of several weeks from now and several weeks ago, I think it would concentrate the screening room and review giving vibe a bit more and they would have only a handful of extra views each really. Then you just temporarily get the national finalists to take their videos down/make them private once they're announced until after the final.

Oh on the reviews note, I love seeing that some of the other city managers are reviewing films... I reckon it would be good to have the reviews thing pushed strongly in general with the competition. I reckon it's a pretty key aspect of the increase in the quality of films over time for those who read them. I've been pushing for weeks to encourage people to sign up for reviews site in prep for our screening last night, and to write some reviews, but there's always only a handful of folks who do anyway, lol.

Rastinha

What about a new tradition of putting 48 hours on daylight savings weekend in April? Y'know, so we can have *ahem* an extra hour sleep? :P

Rastinha

I really loved the suggestion from last year's facebook vote-off on a new genre of "State sanctioned propaganda", I reckon that'd be cool.

Or like educational documentary or something random like that.

But overall the thing I'd like most is a feedback form that gets sent out after 7pm Sunday so I can give comprehensive and useful feedback, instead of it being combined with the online wrap form, because I'm really not going to waste 20-30 mins of my 48 hours right at the end when I want to get it in on time, but I always have lots to say, lol :P

Rastinha

Posters!

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

You totally get bonus points if they’re in your film next year!

I better put them somewhere safe then :D

Rastinha

in reply to steelpotato:

That's quite interesting AJ, because 'heist' also gives characters a theoretical desire right?

I would say, while both "Wish" and "Heist" give characters a desire, "Heist" seems to be more steeped in cliche.

As a team who got "Heist" I would agree with the steeped in cliche bit. We went around and around in circles for aaaaages with a million ideas that just all felt like they had already been done, or every other team with Heist would have thought of them too.

"Stealing diamonds! No, every heist is stealing diamonds or money. Make it trivial, like a worker who really wants some other person's donut out of the office fridge. No every non-diamond heist is literally that! Kids, heisting cookies from the cupboard, or money from their parents... IT'S ALL BEEN DONE!"

So out of frustration we turned it into a musical, lol. Because we came up with the title Heist School Musical and it seemed infinitely better than anything else we'd come up with so we came up with a story to fit, lol.

Heist is definitely more plot driven because it's the 'elaborate scheme to try to get the thing' that drives it, rather than the character's need as such. And singular character arcs are kind of easier to get bang for buck with in a 5 minute film I think.

We are guilty of using our puddle lazily as an opening shot, but in our defense we had better plans, but having to write songs (having never attempted a musical and with only one musician on the team who was also DOP and director) we couldn't start filming until 11pm saturday, and at 4am when we finally did our puddle shot it was raining heavily outside and too dark for most of my lenses to get the shot we actually wanted, haha.

So it is what it is but that's what 48s is all about when you're not a pro team right? :P

I do like that the "things" that have to be included are much less jarring this year. You don't really notice a bunch of puddles, shadows, and door slams in a row in the same way that you notice "Oh Harper Harrison, you're so thoughtless in the way that you're eating that bread!" "Oh really?" Haha.

Rastinha

Posters!

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

I was very impressed when I got an email to claim their free stuff a day after I posted it :)

It was me, I read the small print, *I* won the stickers and everyone else missed out! :P They did arrive safely a week or 2 ago.

You can blame it on/credit it to Taranaki not having heats and me having to squeeze every ounce of 48 hours goodness out of forum and facebook posts while I wait 4 weeks to see any of our films!

Do I get bonus points if I work your stickers into our next year's film? Or sued for copyright infringement? Haha.

Rastinha

Promote yourself and your film!!

in reply to Mista Teas:

So, I’m very proud of our entry “The Stile”. Here’s why:

I really liked your film! It's also actually really, really interested hearing this side of the film from the team. I've changed my mind about the tooting, because it's not so much about the tooting as having a bit of a glimpse into what each team's films mean to *them*. So maybe I'll come post after our final has been and give a bit more background to our film.

Your analysis of your film is really cool, and it's really nice to hear about the intentions behind some of the things in the film. There are always things we put into films that are subtle in meaning, and may be lost on the audience, but it doesn't mean they're not there or that they don't serve their purpose. Even massive budget Hollywood productions often come out with director's commentaries that give you further insight, right?

I'm a huge fan of people going serious with 48 hour films. Short films are such a good opportunity for social commentary and high impact feels (not that comedies don't have social commentary, get the subtext right and they can be pretty deep and meaningful on the other levels, but many 48hr comedies are more surface level). Ironically of course this year our team did a light comedy, after doing a serious alien film last year about social alienation... and we got actual nominations this year.

So with that, would love to hear the backstory and back-thoughts of more people's films :)

Rastinha

Ahhhh I wanna join in too, but our all-inclusive-city-final-and-heat isn't until June 11 and then I guess we'll technically have to wait until grand final announcements :(. Keep some reviewing eyes and brain power available for mine! :)