VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by LindenFilm

Posts by LindenFilm

LindenFilm
Since: Feb 2014

Creative District: Showcase. Collaborate. Create.

So quite a few weeks back I got an email from Technicolor

As an avid video-creator and user of the Cinestyle profile from Technicolor, we are excited to invite you to the exclusive private beta of Creative District!

Creative District is a professional social network for film and media makers, where you can get the support you need to complete your projects by collaborating with other filmmakers.

I created an account but at the time there wasn't much you could do, other than look at people's projects.

Since then, Creative District has opened their doors up to all Filmmakers and the network has begun to grow. Right now there's about 7700 people signed up globally. The platform itself looks pretty promising, similar to LinkedIn, but exclusively to people in the Creative industry. Their aim is to have anyone from Producers to Actors, Directors to Sound guys and Composers using the platform to base their projects off. Each month, you have a chance to win $5000 towards your project.

The Open Collaborations part looks pretty sweet, people can put out crew and casting calls for their projects, you can then apply for those positions. It's pretty small right now and there's only about 20 people in New Zealand on it at the moment but the more people that sign up to the platform, the better it's going to get. I've been telling friends about it who are now telling their friends to get on there. I think this site has potential, but I wanted to know what everyone else thought and what they'd like to see in the future.

http://www.creativedistrict.com/#/

Connor

LindenFilm

Wellington Filmmaker meet up

I'm an 18 year old Filmmaker from the UK living in Auckland. I'm down in Wellington until Friday if any filmmakers wanted to meet up to talk films.

email is connor.ayliffe@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Connor

Connor

LindenFilm

Which RØDE microphone to get?

in reply to IronFilms:

I think my part on the NTG-2 may have been a bit misleading. As the NTG-2 is also a condenser it will be a pretty sensitive mic. If you're using a good preamp you should be fine anyway. Although I said the VMP was the most directional, I was in my own mind comparing this amongst the Videomic range. The NTG-2 is probably slightly more directional meaning if you were recording in a room, you would get less reverberation because it actively rejects sounds coming from the side and behind. The mic will be lower noise as well. There's no doubt that in the long run, the NTG-2 will have more scope for bigger and better projects.

The Videomic range is more convenient and better for DSLR shooters, which is why they currently work for me. The simplicity of the mic and features (high pass filter and quick gain changes) make run and gun shooting easier. It's good enough for Philip Bloom, so it's good enough for me ;D this may be another consideration to take in, ease of use, if you're shooting weddings then you can't do second takes.

The VMP has it's own shockmount whereas the NTG-2 won't come with one. Just a thought.

Anyway, hope that gives better justice to the NTG-2 mic.

Connor

LindenFilm

48 Hours to Shoot, Edit, ...Flow

in reply to treefrog:

Is this prior to shoot weekend then?

Connor

LindenFilm

in reply to Jason Howarth:

Read 'How Not to Make a Short Film' not so long ago, written by Sundance programmer Roberta Munroe. She places the same emphasis you have on food and well being of the crew. The last thing you want is an unhappy crew walking out on you at the eleventh hour!! I know exactly what you mean about taking a break, I often find when grading for a long time that I like my finished grade, then I come back an hour later and hate it! So breaks are pretty important.

An idea for post: Do your end credits nice and early in the piece to avoid errors.

This is a good point, you can get this locked down way in advance before the shoot weekend. Preparing this could save vital time that may otherwise have been wasted.

Connor

LindenFilm

UK film maker in Auckland looking to join a Team

Email is connor.ayliffe@hotmail.co.uk

Are you comfortable with Final Cut Pro X? Or are you still on 7 or earlier.

I switched over to FCP X shortly after the release so I'm very comfortable editing with it, although I can switch over to Avid, Premier or FCP 7 quite easily if that was what the chosen system was.

Connor

LindenFilm

Which RØDE microphone to get?

Depends what you want to use it for really. Do you intend on using a boom operator?

If you're going to be doing more professional video work, then I would say go for the NTG-2, although, because it is a condenser it will require phantom power (48V) or AA battery. The output is to XLR, so if you have a camera that will take this, great, or alternatively you will have to use a digital recorder such as a Zoom H4n. Then, sync sound in post.

2 years ago, Rode ran a similar competition in partnership with Philip Bloom, Rode Rockumentary. I had recently bought my Rode Videomic Pro and when registering for the 10 year guarantee, saw the competition. Anyway, I entered and although I didn't win anything, they sent everyone who had entered a free Rode VMP, so now I have 2!!

Getting back on topic of the mic discussion, going from cheapest to most expensive.

VideoMic Go
Basically a dynamic mic, doesn't require any batteries or phantom power. Uses a 3.5mm jack that will connect to most DSLRs. Very cheap mic, good for live music performances, close mic'd stuff and loud sound sources. Because it's dynamic it's not particularly sensitive, so it won't be the best mic for human voices, you lose a lot of high end frequencies.

VideoMic
A condenser mic, a lot more sensitive to sound than the Go, requires a 9V battery, but you very rarely need to change it. It's heavier and bulkier than the Go, but can't totally be compared because they're 2 different types of mic. The VM has a high pass filter, eliminating any rumble or low frequencies, such as planes, traffic or mic movement. It also has 2 pad settings of -10 or -20db (this will lower the sensitivity of the mic). This is very useful for recording loud sound sources.

Videomic Pro
Another condenser mic. Very sensitive, but is lighter and less bulky than the Videomic. It also contains a high pass filter eliminating rumble, however it only has one pad setting of -10db, although as long as you have your camera's manual audio level very low I have never encountered any issues with not having a -20db setting. It does however come with a +20db gain setting which can be very useful if you're recording something very quiet. If you use your camera to manually increase gain, the sound will be very noisy and most likely unusable with out good editing!! The Videomic Pro's 20db gain is much cleaner. The VMP has the most narrow polar pattern, meaning it is the most directional, picking up less noise from surroundings.This is the most expensive (mono) Videomic in the range, but from tests, it gives the best audio quality with less noise than the Videomic.

One thing I will add, don't use Rode's windshield/ deadcat. It's really not great and doesn't do the job well. Use one from Rycote!!

Hope this helps :)

Connor

LindenFilm

Looking for people to join our Auckland team

Hi my name's Connor. I'm an 18 year old self-funded film maker in Auckland, recently moved here from the UK. Started out making animation when I was 10 with plasticine and lego. My interest has snowballed from then onwards. I'm a dedicated and highly motivated individual with intentions of going to film school. Fast learner and a problem solver.

Experience in directing, editing and sound technology. In depth knowledge of foley recording and manipulation. Competent user of Final Cut, After Effects and Logic Pro, and can run with new and different technology.

Canon user, own grip and slider. Experience operating Glidecam/ Flycam

Do you have any examples of your work online I could see? :)

Connor

LindenFilm

in reply to clang:

This is a brilliant yet simple idea! Hadn't thought of that. Any cracks in the team would certainly show and it would give you an idea of everyone's strengths and weaknesses.

Connor

LindenFilm

Editor wanted for Wellington

Shame you aren't based in Auckland, otherwise I'd be happy to join your 'boutique' team ;D

Connor

LindenFilm

in reply to themorgan:

This makes sense, especially when writing so you can be realistic with your script; having a place in mind for each scene.

Shooting in public is always good fun, unless continuity matters. Do you get many teams running around in Queen street on Saturday?

Don't just take anyone in your team. Get actors who can act, techs that already know what to do, and in general people who want to get on and get it done

It's unbelievable the amount of time lost through chatting and messing about, this is a great point for all new people wanting to start a team (and people who waste time!!)

If they cant commit to all the hours find someone else it will save a big headache

Again, this seems to be the big thing that could cause friction. I guess a lot of people might simply say "yes" even if they don't understand the scale of things or how much time they need to give. Something that definitely needs to be understood by all the crew from the outset.

In response to your order of points not to compromise, Nitro, I agreed with you down to the bottom of the list. Sound is one that gets often overlooked by new film makers. It should be just as important as the moving image if not more. It's the first thing people pick up upon because of association with home family video, discrediting the most professional looking footage.

For a solid crew you need solid leadership. A confident, but not cocky, director always needs to have strong sense of where the film is headed. I do think though that the director shouldn't be expected to know everything about the shoot though. There are some things that a director should be allowed to have a vaguer idea of, so that actors have more free reign to put their own unique creativity into the project.

For breaks and meals, other than getting friends and family to help, how are small businesses for sorting out film crews for food?

Connor

LindenFilm

Dunedin! Anyone wants to join me?

in reply to undeadbus:

Or an Auckland version!

Connor

LindenFilm

in reply to dramamike:

How does a location scout go about finding shooting locations during the 48 hours? Do they make note of interesting places prior or is it phone calls, googling and street view?

Connor

LindenFilm

in reply to CraigWB:

I definitely understand about wanting to have control over every part. Being used to working as a 1 man crew it takes some time to adjust and place trust in other people to do their job.

I'm someone who always wants "just one more take" from more angles... Not sure how I'd cope!!

I haven't had to scout locations before simply due to the nature of films I've done. I guess that's what makes one room simpler in a way. The added constraint takes of stresses in one sense.

The new colour correction in FCPX is quite good I think, although no curves adjustment, you can still have quite a large control over your image. Only issues I've had is that sometimes FCPX maps white to a really light grey, giving the image overall less contrast. But I think that may have been fixed with an update as I haven't had that issue recently.

Did you shoot and then edit afterwards or did you start editing as soon as you got some footage Mike?

Connor

LindenFilm

2014? What do we want from the comp?

in reply to themorgan:

For school entries, do they receive the same genres as everyone else? I don't imagine school groups would be given a genre like Grindhouse?

Connor