snapdragon
Since: Apr 2013

Uploading film

in reply to Mista Teas:

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks! :D

snapdragon

Uploading film

So this question gets asked every year but it doesn't seem like there's ever a definitive answer..

If our team hasn't been announced as a finalist, can we upload our film?

I've read the rules top to bottom and it doesn't seem like there's anything saying that we can't.

Thoughts anyone? :)

snapdragon

THE COUNTDOWN IS ON

Soo uhh I guess if we haven't been announced as a finalist, it's ok to upload to the screening room?

snapdragon

Disqualification question

Thanks for that. We haven't had a call yet so hrm..

We misinterpreted the definition of match cut and ended up shooting a scene with 2 guys have a phone conversation, matched up using split screen.

But we've since learnt we messed it up pretty bad lol compared to the actual definition of it.

snapdragon

Disqualification question

Random question.

Does anyone know - if you mess up an element (i.e. misinterpret the definition of "match cut"), do you get disqualified and made ineligible for any awards?

And if so, do you get told?

Thanks! :D

snapdragon

Match Cut!

We weren't so fond of this element, as none of our team had heard of it before and we misinterpreted the definition we found online.

In our final film we used two people having a phone convo in split screen, thinking this qualified as a match cut.

"a cut in film editing between either two different objects, two different spaces, or two different compositions in which objects in the two shots graphically match"

Didn't realise until today that we got it wrong.

Gutted. First time in 8 years we're out of the running :(

snapdragon

What I learned this year

in reply to ScottKennedy:

Very good point. An even easier method: some NLEs will allow you to select a portion of the timeline and render all effects within that selection. This greatly reduces the import time.

snapdragon

What I learned this year

Don't use a dog as your lead character.

snapdragon

Experienced editor/s wanted

in reply to The Robstar:

As a video editor myself, I would disagree that it's the "suckiest" job.. bro.

snapdragon

LED lights

Sweet, thanks a bunch :D

I noticed that the same model is sold on Ebay for about half the price with free shipping. Think I'm sold!

snapdragon

LED lights

Thanks for that. You have the 600 LED model? Do you know if they're powerful enough to use for outdoor work, such as interviews or lighting an actor?

snapdragon

LED lights

Just wondering if anyone has tried these LED studio lights from Photoshack?

http://www.photoshack.co.nz/afawcs0142140/CATID=59/ID=649/SID=27072507/productdetails.html#.UhWBbxZVhFR

They're significantly cheaper than most other "brand name" lights I've seen, so I'm a bit worried about quality.

Any thoughts? :) Cheers.

snapdragon

Editing Competition to practice your cutting.

I had a hectic month and kinda ran out of time. Spent Sunday night making a totally half-assed video. Didn't get into the finals. I might try again next year.

snapdragon

Editing Competition to practice your cutting.

Thanks for the link. I've never heard of it, but sounds like fun so I just entered :D

snapdragon

Watch my movie - a plea for reviews

in reply to Dark_Hadou:

Yeah I've been doing this for 6 years now, and I've never been to a heat with as many good films as that one on Saturday night.

Congrats on making finalist! Looking forward to seeing your film at the finals.