VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by ryan

Posts by ryan

ryan
Since: Apr 2011

It's quiet. Too quiet.

First time ever we aren't doing it - combination of people growing up and having families and equipment getting ruined in a short shoot a couple of months ago. So it could be the old guard all getting that bit older.

It's sad but I'm looking forward to having a nice sleep over the weekend.

Might join another team I guess, and will be back next year - just momentary blip.

Was RyanM on the old forum.

ryan

What "filmmaking related" websites do you follow?

dvxuser.com an oldie but a goody.

ryan

Film Making, a Basic DSLR Kit in 10 Easy Steps?

I've found the GH3 to be usable up to about 1600 iso, which when coupled with very fast lenses (like the SLR magics and the Voigtlanders) is plenty for low light shooting.

@EdAish have you looked at recording audio in camera? The GH3 records uncompressed LPCM format and is fairly quiet / doesn't appear to have auto gain. I've been keeping the internal amp on the GH3 at its lowest level and then running in a hot signal seems to work quite well.

I have a couple of cheap 198 light LED's from personal-view.com which I was impressed with, no noticeable green tinge that I could see. Ran all day on cheap DSE branded batteries.

ryan

Film Making, a Basic DSLR Kit in 10 Easy Steps?

Can't wait to see upstream colour at the Film Fest this year. Apparently its stunning, all hacked GH2 + Voigt lenses.

We did the 48hours this year on a GH3, the lack of needing sync sound was massive. And although we had a few issues with lens cleaning solution fogging up our lenses the image was great.

For those who are interested in building a good kit we have:
A 7 inch field monitor with false colors and focus assist that plugs into the GH3.
A Mix-Pre D field mixer that plugs into Beachtek DXA-2t that plugs into the camera. This provides balanced XLR from Mic almost all the way to the camera, and protects the camera from people tripping on cables, etc.
We also have the SLR Magic Cine 12mm T1.6, a Olympus 50mm F1.8, and a 28mm F2 as well as the 14-140mm Pana zoom that came with My GH1.
On order we have the SLR Magic Cine 25mm T0.95.

I'm pretty happy with how the setup performed during the 48hours.

ryan

What DSLR camera shall I purchase?

I'm going to add another + for the GH3.

I was originally getting a Blackmagic MFT, but after 6 months on the waiting list I decided to bite the bullet and buy a GH3 + Preamp.

Pros of the GH3 are:
Designed for Video to an extent that other DSLR's aren't
Ext Mic in so all you need is a pre-amp/field mixer and then no more sync sound.
50 or 60 fps at 1080p for slow mo
Can use pretty much any lens ever made.
Good DR, Low light capability (not exceptional but still very usable).

Negatives are:
No Raw
8 bit
mic, headphone, and hdmi cables make it hard to use the articulating screen.

I haven't had any regrets with the GH3, and I even cancelled my pre-order for the Black Magic pocket cam in order to invest money in sound gear. I'm thinking that 8bit is still acceptable for this Generation and I'll see what comes out when raw cameras are in their second gen.

ryan

Projector Issue in Memorial Theatre (Wellington)

Serves us right for being in the first heat. Next year we are going to call out selves Zee Last Team so that all issues are ironed out.

We tend to be guinea pigs :)

ryan

Projector Issue in Memorial Theatre (Wellington)

People who were clearly exposed in our film were just silhouettes at memorial theatre.

Noticed quite a few films looked contrasty.

ryan

Software to track shooting info

Cheers - unfortunately it seems that I've talked myself into a much bigger project than I initially intended, that's a problem that I have - I can't quite bring myself to do the small focused and beautiful.

ryan

Reviews Page

It's a shame that it appears to be down as it means movies in the first set of heats (including mine) won't get the reviews that they deserve.

ryan

Is this controversial, but "chick"?

You're being overly sensitive.

ryan

in reply to DylanReeve:

@DylanReeve

I thought it would probably be a bridge to far at this stage, as I said earlier it is something that I am working on for my own workflow.

I was hoping that I could save say an AAF file that could be imported by the other applications - however it is much more complicated than even that - I would have to write an application that would when pointed to a directory parse at least the file names and assign said meta data. Then there are the issues that people store files in completely different ways, split by device, card, scene, etc.

Originally I was going to write a plugin for Vegas that works with my workflow, if people like it I could expand it to other systems, at least those that have a well documented api and plugin system.

ryan

in reply to LizardWizard:

@LizardWizard does it keep track of takes as well? Seems like its just a replacement for a spreadsheet - however it does seem useful, I wouldn't pay $17 for it however. You think its worthwhile?

ryan

I wonder what the most common NLE project format is - for instance Vegas can import from Premier, Final Cut, and Avid. I wonder if most can do one of these.

I'm not talking about complicated projects here, just pre-populated bins, so if there was one file format that could be read by all the big 3 (Avid, Final Cut, Premier) then I would be tempted to look into that.

ryan

one more rendering question

in reply to R17:

I have a Quadro 2000 which I think is quite costly new, but a guy I know didn't like it as its not a gaming card and it was just lying around so I got it for a hundred bucks and a box of beer. It came with his computer so he wasn't fussed.

You mainly want as much cuda cores per buck, I've heard that last generations GTX cards have quite allot but they are not cheap, even though they are a generation old.

ryan

one more rendering question

If you think SD cards are painful you should have seen how we did tape in 48hours. :)

We used to have to write down in a notebook the start and end time code for every shot (so hour:minute:frame) and then we would plug the camera into the computer, load the NLE software and enter in every time code.

The camera would then play, and the computer would record the video until it got to the end timecode, the camera would then stop, rewind a couple of seconds and play, etc.

You would have to keep an eye on this to make sure that numbers had not been written incorrectly and quite often it would just stop randomly and you would need to do it by hand (so play until you saw a take start, press record, stop, etc.). Would take hours but more importantly was very, very tedious.