VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by Meatloaf

Posts by Meatloaf

Meatloaf
Since: Jun 2012

Clunkiest compulsory line ever?

Hmmm ... I see that they're in the running for best use of prop. I guess that's valid given the image is seared on my brain.

Meatloaf

Clunkiest compulsory line ever?

in reply to Daniel Frost:

lack of testicle shots

One Wellington team got two for the price of one by making the testicle both their ball AND their extreme close-up. It was jammed in a zipper at the time. Not good, I'm tellin' ya. My eyes will never be the same and sometimes it haunts me and just pops into my mind when I least expect it (like now, damn it).

Meatloaf

Disqualification

in reply to Section59:

Great post, thanks Section59, I'm liking your suggestions and rationale. In particular ...

Consulting with participants. Totally agree. Perhaps a wrap-up/feedback discussion would be beneficial if there were going to be some (minor) tweaks to the comp. Each 2014 team could be invited to send along one or two representatives to present and discuss ideas.

That could evolve into a smaller elected 2015 User community group that supported the official regional organisers in whatever capacity they could. One example might be that they are seen as semi-official reviewers who are committed to attending all heats (I said it before, and so have others - Wellington teams really missed SteelPotato in that role this year).

Repeat the process each year. It would definitely give more buy-in as you suggest and possibly remove the grumbles that occur in the forum. If you wanted to see things evolve, then as a participant you'd have an avenue for promoting suggestions. They may not be taken on board, but they would be listened to and discussed at the very least.

2013 had over 800 teams take part. Looks like 2014 had around 600 (early April may be somewhat to blame). I'd hate for 2015 to drop to 400 as that would definitely signal a need to change. Cheers.

Meatloaf

April 48hours? Better or worse?

Was just looking at the 2015 April calendar ...
Easter is 3-6 April, Daylight Saving changes that same weekend.
School Term 1 ends 2 April, restarts 20th April
Anzac is a Saturday so gets Monday-ised to the 27th (yeah!)

If 48Hrs stays in April then it would most likely need to occur on the 11-12th being the middle weekend during the School Hols, or the 18-19th being the last weekend during School Hols.

My challenge to the wonderful organisers of this comp: Announce the 2015 date at the National Final. Or at the very least within 3 months of then.

Meatloaf

Disqualification

in reply to nimlin:

maybe this comp has past it's use by date or needs a huge reshuffle

Now that's more like it ... but let's take it a step further. What would you (or anyone else) do differently next year? Here's one idea:

Reduce the genre's down to six strong ones (e.g Horror, Musical, Rom-Com/Comedy, Road, Drama, Thriller, Mystery, Sci Fi) and not weak or dubious sub-genres (e.g Fad, One Shot, One Room, Robots). None of these latter items are genres in my view, they are "requirements".

Treat each category separately when picking the Regional finalists, so best two in each genre get screened. Certificate and small cash prize (like $500) to the regional winner in each genre then have Winner & Runner up across all genre's for more major prizes, plus the usual individual actor, script, etc recognitions.

Same approach for the National Final plus two wild cards of any genre from Sir Peter. So at the Final we'd see the nations' best two films for each genre. Or cut back on all the cringe-worthy and/or awkward presenter time and show us 3 in each category at the National final.

Just in case anyone starts up again on the whole two tier comp thing (please don't), I'd say strongly NO to that, but like Nimlin I do wonder if the format needs a bit of tweaking to keep it fresh and to maintain enthusiasm levels.

Meatloaf

Disqualification

in reply to nimlin:

yes I have missed you guys as well

Ah, Nimlin ... welcome back. Even though I often disagreed with your posting in the past, I just want to say I have missed your pokes and jibes during this years forum sessions. They always livened things us and got people debating and talking. That didn't happen much this year.

Meatloaf

Disqualification

in reply to dramamike:

surprised to hear the song 'Happy Birthday' in the middle of it

Oooh, that is so wrong to be using that song. Just google it so goodness sake! Agree that hands need to be slapped with more than just a wet bus ticket.

Looking forward though ... there must be many, many 48 Hours films that get DQ after hand-in for reasons of copyright breach. We watched one the other night that used the online Tinder app which left me thinking: surely that's out of the running for anything. When the judges are watching everything (and they do have my sympathy on that front!) and they come across an issue that DQ's the film, I'm wondering if that reason could be captured and posted against the entry in the reviews database perhaps?

Then the team involved and more importantly, anyone else watching the film with the view to learning about what makes a good 48 Hour film, or what doesn't pass the test, would indeed get a better understanding of what the rules mean in practise. Seems at the moment there's a lot of grey around where boundaries do or don't fall so more and more teams are pushing out those boundaries and mostly getting away with it.

Meatloaf

Dunedin City Finalists and Award Nominees

in reply to Matthew J Scadden:

What does it mean by the embargoed awards though?

Just google the word "embargoed". In this case it most likely means that there may only be one in the category, or they don't want to tell you until you're at the Regional final, which would make the most sense. Cheers.

Meatloaf

Dunedin City Finalists and Award Nominees

in reply to Cookie:

Congrats to the Pretentious Artholes - seems there is some benefit after all to abandoning your old Wellington team in order to move to Invercargil, aye Mr Phewy-ma-no-no. Good luck with the next round (yes, you are dead to us).

Meatloaf

My Film is Not in The Review Database

in reply to Robstar Rapper:

I doubt I'll be DQ'ed

Keep the faith, man! Hopefully soon you'll also remember that you clicked "Save" before rushing out the door for the hand in. I'm sure that "Rules 2014 - What you Must do" title means absolutely nothing. Cheers.

Meatloaf

My Film is Not in The Review Database

in reply to dramamike:

As far as the online hand-in goes, I think this one is close to the DQ line

No Online Wrap = DQ'd in my view. Otherwise what's the point of teams doing it during the always busy and stressful Sunday afternoon? If I'm organised and ticking off my list of items to complete and someone else is not ... that's just too bad for them.

Meatloaf

What I learned this year

in reply to themorgan:

7 minutes is the maximum

Oh so true. This year we aimed for 6 mins and got pretty close. Sometimes that extra minute seems to take about 7 minutes of it's own to pass by! If I feel that way watching it in a heat of less than 12 films, just imagine how the regional judges are going to feel after watching over 200 films!

Meatloaf

Christchurch Audience Awards 2014

in reply to Mista Teas:

one of them was a musical

Well that just makes me want to watch Sweeney Todd now! I'll probably just end up with Masterchef instead. Although, maybe if I listen to the soundtrack while watching some skilled knife work ... nah, won't be the same.

Meatloaf

Christchurch Audience Awards 2014

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Yeah, I thought that too but it seems to only be the case for Christchurch audiences. I was thinking that it was going to be a tall ask for a Rom-Com or Musical to take out any Audience Fav spot based on the early nationwide returns. Don't want to get into the whole Chch take on the world given the absolute crap you've all been through, but perhaps being entertained by happy things has some appeal after all.

Meatloaf

Writing team

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

this place has been much too nice

OK, because you encouraged me, even though I said I'd stop on this thread ...

To think that no one starts planning, talent sourcing, location scouting, battery charging, costume buying, puppet making, concept exploring until 7pm Friday night ... yeah, right. After 4 years in the comp I've come to the conclusion that if you do truly head into Friday night with "nothing" then you shouldn't be disappointed at coming out of the weekend with exactly that same "nothing".

I appreciate the comments from Dan Bain - clearly he's someone who has achieved well in the comp so I'm in awe of that and totally respecting of the words of wisdom that he has shared. Same thing with the comments from TheMorgan, what he says is always worth a read and a think about.

Dylan also provokes some interest ideas, although I do disagree with him on the "just have fun" aspect. I think that depends on where you're coming from. If you are already in the Film or TV industry, then absolutely yes - just have fun! If you are on the fringes of it or wanting to be within the inner sanctum at some stage in the future then 48 Hours is a great way to practise and hopefully produce something that may get you noticed (that's if you really do have a spark of talent, and let's face it, many 48ers just don't and never will).

The prizes are worth aiming for, plus NZFC Fresh Shorts views taking part in 48Hrs as a qualifying criteria for applying for a $30k grant, so heck yes my team takes it seriously. We want to publish something that is a possible contender. Last year we got an Audience Fav certificate which hangs proudly framed on the Games Room wall - for our 18 year old director you'd have thought we had won the entire competition on the day she found out she was getting a certificate! This year we went into it with reaching that same level in mind again and if we've absolutely nailed it then a nomination at the Regionals will have us jumping over the moon (we don't want to win anything ... just being nominated will be mind-blowing enough).

I didn't take part in the forums pre-comp because I thought I would instead try to focus more on being ready for the challenging weekend that 48 Hours always is, regardless of how prepared we think we are! I read them, but they were pretty lame. I enjoy checking them regularly afterwards and always laugh, learn and listen to what others choose to share.

And yeah, I'm sick of all this PC crap of "everyone wins" that we all seem to promote to our kids. Actually, that's not how the real world works and never will be. Just exactly what is wrong with aiming to be a winner? Cheers, Meatloaf (aka Nigel)

PS. I really miss SteelPotato (The Legend) reviewing every Wellington movie ... there's no one giving a point of view from the same unbiased starting point, across all the heats. Maybe that's something for the Wellywood team to think about for next year?