VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Forum > Posts by Jason

Posts by Jason

Jason
Since: Mar 2013

Thread about anything else!

That's an awesome prize! But more pressure to win it now haha. No one else sign up for Ultra now please... You were right after all, it's not worth doing.

www.youtube.com/JovialEntertainment

www.facebook.com/JovialEntertainment

2018 - Jovial Entertainment | Daddy's Little Angel (Splatstick) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist. Auckland City Best Editor and best puddle
2017 - Jovial Entertainment | Pizza Money (Action/Ambition) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist + Auckland City and Grand Finals Best Editing winner
2016 - Jovial Entertainment | Munchies (Dystopian) | 1st Audience Favourite
2015 - Jovial Entertainment | Perp(Mistaken Identity) | 1st Audience Favourite
2013 - Jovial Entertainment | Barry (Crime) | 2nd Audience Favourite
2012 - Black Forest Breathes | One Last Shot (One Shot / End of the World)

Jason

While it's true they haven't been so difficult to stop veteran teams from submitting a completed film, I think they have caused some bad films to be made by usually great teams and stopped them from reaching the finals. I feel that's a good enough challenge. I don't want the difficulty so high that teams end up quitting and not submitting a film due to not being able to fulfill the ultra requirement. It still needs to be fun, and not scare teams away from doing it. But that $1K reward better go to a team that fully embraces the ultra requirements and doesn't use loop holes to do it an easy way.

2018 - Jovial Entertainment | Daddy's Little Angel (Splatstick) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist. Auckland City Best Editor and best puddle
2017 - Jovial Entertainment | Pizza Money (Action/Ambition) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist + Auckland City and Grand Finals Best Editing winner

Jason

I like the 5 year rule for Ultra to make it for veteran teams only. However I'd be glad to see an exception made for Grand Finalists. Even if you've only entered once before, I think if you made the grand finals with your film then you're ready for an extra challenge.

We got a participation certificate last year for doing Ultra which was nice, but I agree it would be cool to have a t-shirt or something else. It would be nice for this extra reward to be known about before the competition too so it can be used as an incentive for more teams to enter. The $1,000 prize is great, but possibly feels too unlikely to win for many teams to worry about. Regional rewards would be really cool, and if there's not many ultra teams in some regions then it will hopefully encourage more for future years so they can win an easy reward. A really cheap trophy would be cool too. Trying to keep those certificates safe while also having a long night of celebrating after the finals has been my biggest challenge of the competition.

Jovial Entertainment will be competing in Ultra again. I hope the numbers will pick up again this year. It's a fun extra challenge and maybe it will ruin your film, but it will be an exciting weekend regardless. I don't think you can wait for it to be announced and then decide on Friday night to do Ultra and consider yourself capable of achieving the Ultra element. If you can't take the risk to do Ultra no matter what it is, then you've already failed at it.

Jason

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

After hearing some responses and thinking about it a bit more I've changed my mind. I'd personally be more offended by the story of a film relating to the terrorist attack than seeing guns used in a completely different way. I imagine a lot of people in New Zealand are still going to be really excited to see John Wick 3 in a few weeks. But I understand there are some people who will now avoid watching that movie just because of the gun violence. When coming to a 48 hour screening audiences have no knowledge or choice over what they're going to watch, so I'd respect the decision to stop them from being used in the competition this year.

It seems like even if there is no rule change it's going to be a bad idea to use them. There's a higher chance they will be treated as offensive and not screened (especially for christchuch teams), and a higher chance of there being a judge who won't want to put it through to the finals.

If that's true, I hope like Bloyyd has suggested, there will not be genres to encourage gun use this year like action or crime. I also hope something will be said by 48 hour officials to all teams, even if it's not a ban but a warning that those films are more likely to receive an R rating now.

Jason

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

I think a ban on guns is a bit extreme. No one is calling for movies to be banned from cinemas if they use guns, or to cancel all tv shows using guns. There's no reason to make 48 hour films an exception to this and start banning them. It is a sensitive subject and people should be careful about how they choose to use them. Any use of guns in a similar way to the terrorist attack in Christchurch would be incredibly stupid, and should fall under the rule that's already in place to prevent offensive films from being screened. Teams also need to be extra careful about filming with guns and taking the appropriate safety measures so the public aren't concerned about it.

Of course even if nothing is done to the rules, we may have judges who aren't as comfortable with their use anymore. It's definitely a risk to all teams who want to use them this year. We may not see action films making it as far in the competition because of it.

Jason

Grand Final livestream - great job!

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

the way that the in-the-room audience reaction to the films was in the audio mix without overwhelming it

Even when watching Compress?

Jason

Ultra 2019 (and why you should do it)

in reply to Mista Teas:

This is very true. We managed to find an awesome kid to act in our film but if we couldn't find one or didn't want to use one there was the backup to just use adult actors. The criteria for kid to go up to a 17 year old character made it fairly easy too I thought. We wouldn't even have to dress up as animals or kids. We'd just get our mid 20's-30's actors to play teenagers like every other film does.

I feel like a lot of teams chose to do things the hard way with last years Ultra too. But I do like that teams don't go for the easy way out when opting to do Ultra. You've got to embrace the challenge, and then dial yourself back to what is realistically achievable.

Jason

I'm not sure that imposing anything like this on entrants is a good way to go. As we pay the entry fee we should really be doing the comp how we choose to do it. ULTRA is fine as an optional challenge. Also how do you manage something like that? Purely on team names? How much of a team would need to still be in that team the following year?

Yeah I'd do it based on team names. I can understand circumstances change for teams and they may not have the same people each year that got them to the grand finals, but to me that seems like a good reason to change your name if you no longer feel like you're up to the challenges that team could have handled. It is a bit rough to force it on teams, but 48Hours isn't meant to be an easy weekend. To me it would be the same as forcing a team to do a genre they don't want like musical. We pay for that challenge and enjoy facing it with no time to doubt ourselves. I think we end up with a lot of great films in the competition this way that many teams might not have been able to do with complete creative freedom and time.

At the very least the 5 year wait time should be waived for grand finalists so if they want the challenge they can sign up for it.

Jason

Ultra is a really fun added challenge. We didn't do it last year and while we were really happy with the film we made, we were kicking ourselves for not doing it at 7pm on that Friday night when Sequel was announced. I feel like the other elements have changed to be much easier too. We didn't even have to think about them last year. This year they all managed to flow into our story really easily. For any kind of challenge with elements I feel like Ultra is a must now.

I think that every team who has made it to the grand finals should automatically be required to do the ultra challenge every year following. It's crazy that Cool Story Bro was not qualified to compete in Ultra even after winning the competition. If they won't go as far as to make it a requirement of successful teams, it should at least be another way for them to be qualified.

Jason

Auckland Heats 2018

Great! Thanks Morgan

Jason

Auckland Heats 2018

Can we expect a smaller wait in between the heats and the city finals if the heats are pushed so far back?

Jason

Solo/Duo Teams!

A full cast of animal actors with some great voice overs is the only way to go. Make the most of Canada and get yourself a Moose and a Beaver to take the lead roles.

Jason

Looking for Cast and Crew in Auckland?

Jovial Entertainment are looking for a soundie and a Cam / LX assist to help us with the 48 Hours this year (Auckland based). We made the Grand Finals last year with our film 'Pizza Money' and won best editing. This year we've signed up for Ultra and are looking to fill some empty spots with experienced crew members.

We have some sound equipment but would prefer someone with their own gear.

Jason

Grand Finals Tickets

Thanks Ness! I'm buying our extra tickets now. See you next weekend =)

Jason

Grand Finals Tickets

Can anyone tell me how many complimentary tickets I'll get for the grand finals? I know there's 10 tickets for grand finalists. But there's also 2 tickets for teams nominated for awards. Do they add up so I would get 12 if nominated for one award? Or is it 10 total for finalists and the 2 tickets for nominated teams are only for the non-grand finalists?

I still need to buy the remaining tickets for team members as we have more than 10 members, and it would be great to know exactly how many I need to buy.

Also when will we be receiving the complimentary tickets?