VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Rocket Boy

Posts by Rocket Boy

Rocket Boy
Since: Apr 2011

Christchurch - fantastic year

'I think the over-representation on the forum is just to make up for our under-representation in the national competition'

Are we all looking forward to another Auckland 1-2-3 in the National finals this year, just like last year?

I don't get why the National finals are always in Auckland, for a nation-wide competition you would think the organizers would spread it around a bit more.

Rocket Boy

Christchurch - fantastic year

That's all good Andrew, except as there is no 'ultra' prize (in the regions) and if the ultra requirements are largely ignored in the overall judging then what is the point of 'ultra'?

Rocket Boy

CHCH Finals Discussion, Congrats & Question Zone

I don't see how a city manager 'earns' the right to have a 'mascot' team. Surely it's the city managers role to treat all teams as totally equal and not to play favourites.

Rocket Boy

CHCH Finals Discussion, Congrats & Question Zone

in reply to Mista Teas:

I agree Mista Teas, I wasn't happy with the Pig Guts film being played at the finals. I know that most of my team felt the same way.

The fact it was 5 days late, not a few hours late, really does not fit with the spirit of the competition. I've got nothing against Pig Guts, I just think it was the wrong decision by Andrew.

Rocket Boy

Introducing... THE 48HOURS PODCAST

It would have been interesting to ask Lachlan about how the 48 hours has affected or influenced his future career choice. I understand that some members of the Pig Guts Team have gone on to the NZBS.

Rocket Boy

Life After The V48

in reply to Allan George:

Nice effort from Sideways Productions, I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure how showing your disappointment is 'poor sportsmanship', it just shows that you are human.

Rocket Boy

2012 GRAND FINALISTS & WILDCARDS

'some bigger picture ideas come into play when it comes to finalist selection - which I think is fine and I'm not criticising at all.'

What do you mean by that?

CHCH doesn't have teams full of Shortland St actors or full time animation studios or people working for Weta or making the Hobbit and that is always going to make it difficult for CHCH (and Dunedin) films to make the finals and win. Plus we didn't have anywhere enough zombie films this year.

Rocket Boy

the trifecta of bullshit

I enjoyed 'Brains?' and thought it a worthy winner however I do agree with nimlin that it was not horror. Wikipedia defines a horror film as 'eliciting a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's most primal fears'.

If it makes you laugh its a comedy, if it makes you cover your eyes and curl up in your chair its horror. But genre bending is part of the game with 48 hours.

I'd be more concerned about the fact the competition is being swamped by teams of professionals, still that's a whole different issue.

Rocket Boy

Grand Finals Buzz-generating thread

I mean watch the films in advance of the finals. The whole thread is about 'the buzz' and there isn't any because no one (except the judges) has seen all the films, it's hard to have a opinion about which film is best when you haven't seen the films.

In previous years the films were shown on TV prior to the finals.

Rocket Boy

Grand Finals Buzz-generating thread

It's a bit hard to get excited about the finals when you can't actually watch any of the films. I've seen two of the finalists (from CHCH) but have no idea how they compare to the other finalists.

How many people read the NZ Herald online article about the finals and thought cool where do I watch the films? It even said 'check out the V48 hours finalists' but only had descriptions of each film.

Rocket Boy

2012 GRAND FINALISTS & WILDCARDS

in reply to MalibuBarbie:

I also struggle to understand the appeal of 'The Outwits' and think the CHCH films from 'Zebra Crossing' or 'The Eh Team' were much stronger.

Really Peter Jackson's 'wildcards' should be called his 'favourites' since he seems to favour certain teams.

Rocket Boy

Are we allowed to use things like Facebook or a fake youtube page in our film?

'The genres aren't there to limit you - they're there to inspire you.'

Andrew, you should stand-up with a megaphone and shout that out loud at the CHCH launch.

Best bit of advice I've heard in a long time.

Rocket Boy

Rules 2012?

Nice to see the rules all laid out nice and clear, well done to the organisers for doing this.

I've been DQ'ed in the past for something trivial, what really hurts though is other films with the same issue not getting DQ'ed, so let's hope the clearer rules also result in more even handed judging (and less people making silly mistakes!)

Rocket Boy

If you were to design new screenwriting software what would you want it to include

There has been development of a simple formating language for writing screenplays that gets around the whole issue of what software to use.

Basically you write in a plain text editor using formatting commands so the screenplay can quickly and easily be converted into a proper format for distribution.

Since you are not working in a particular software package you have more freedom.

The formatting language is called 'Fountain' and an example of a converter (for Mac) is 'Highland'. Details of Fountain & Highland are here, and there is a lot more about it here at Prolost

Rocket Boy

camera sliders

star striker I've got an indislider, it does a reasonable job but it's not really for large or heavy cameras, really my Canon 7D is a bit big for it, also the puck used to hold the camera is not the best solution, the pistol grip shown in the photo on the website would be better.

The build quality is good and the guy who makes and sells the products is good to deal with.