VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by Scott Ransom

Posts by Scott Ransom

Scott Ransom
Since: May 2012

Clunkiest compulsory line ever?

Not with that your not... that was a tricky one! I reckon 'I did that' was a little hard too from memory... but it's the case for me that when you know the line you kind of hear it more, or look out for it more so it does stand out. I reckon the most successful uses of the line are those films that are able to make an event out of it, or slip it in so naturally you don't notice it...

Anyone recall last year's one? It's completely slipped my mind!

Noise and Pictures 2014 - Rubble | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2013 - Gift-Wrapped | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2012 - Brains? | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2011 - Super Self Me | Actor, Co-Writer
Noise and Pictures 2010 - Bottle 'O Love | Actor, Co-Writer

Scott Ransom

Dumb Things People Do Around Film Crews...

I may not recall the full story accurately, but I remember a few years ago we were shooting our film (we had a lot of bloody make-up) and one of the people in the neighborhood got a little freaked out which resulted in a welfare by a man in blue!

Scott Ransom

I keep thinking about this years character

in reply to bexxgirl:

I've found the tone of reviews this year to be overall a little different. It's been interesting to read a few reviews of folks heading to multiple heats, which is good to get a feel of a particular reviewers view of many different films from different heats rather just have one or two people review all for a particular region. It's good to see folks taking time to view other heats!

Going back to this year's character though... I feel we found an opportunity to use the character as part of the situation our characters were in... whereas with other years we were quite stumped with getting a character's trait into the film and felt it to be a bit tacked on (the fabricator will haunt me for years!). I feel the best way to do those traits is when it is part of the story and we can see those traits informing the story's momentum, rather than a character taking the time to label someone as a thing. I guess it all comes down to how much time you spend at the beginning of the competition figuring that out before moving ahead with your plans!

Scott Ransom

Merry Christmas from team Noise and Pictures

Awesome edit Giles! Great to see all us Zombie groaning around a camera again!

Scott Ransom

One Shot Genre

in reply to clang:

I agree!!! Have you Met My Sister was an excellent One Shot film, well timed, some great performances, and a clever use of the leaf! A great film, and excellently planned out!

Scott Ransom

2012 Wellington Winners

in reply to CarterNixon:

Thanks bud!

And congratulations to steelpotato!!! What a reviewer-trooper!

Scott Ransom

2012 Wellington Winners

It was an absolutely thrilling night, such a blast to see all those amazing films!

So many great films in the evening, Fetus 5000 was awesome, moffilaide cranking another awesome film, Nick of Time as well, such a fantastic evening, what a great night!

Thank you so much everyone, a fantasic 10 years of 48 hour films!!!!

Scott Ransom

What do actors think about this comp?

I've been in a couple of 48 hour film festivals in the past as an actor, and found myself not really enjoying the experience. The past entries I was involved with, I'd be told to be at a place at a specific time, arrive with a group of strung out people holding cameras on their shoulders, V cans at their feet, and waving sheets of paper with lines on it.
Ultimately acting for me requires a bit of trust, especially if you're thrown into it, and have a camera pointed at you, and the bewilderment of not knowing what relevancy your part plays in the narrative has lead to some bad performances.

That was the past, but in recent years I've been involved with one group, and I've been really happy with the process! Getting round a table on the Friday of the competition, brainstorming a narrative with the cast, the director, the sound and music guys, having the honour to co-write a couple of entries, it really helped me as an actor to understand what the end to end product was, and really instilled complete trust for my wider crew to give as much as I could to the characters I'd been blessed to play.

I love the 48 Hour Film Festival, and as an actor I've enjoyed it the most these past three years because of the process, the trust everyone in our teams demonstrates to each other's role during the process, as well as getting together to see the final product during the heats, it's fantastic!