VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by caketaker

Posts by caketaker

caketaker
Since: Apr 2011

Review Site

Massive kudos to reviewers that go to every heat and review every film, I can't overstate how useful it is to get feedback from someone who isn't a close friend/family/a part of the team. Thank you for your hard work!

Decile One
2019 - Past-It Notes - Time Travel - "Today is the first day of the past of your life" - [Wellington City Finalist]
2018 - Minor Transgressions - Fish-out-of-water Movie - "We're rich!!" - ULTRA
2017 - Discord II: Alienated - Alien Movie + Non-dialogue Movie + Redemption - "..." - ULTRA
2016 - Last August - Time Travel - "Are you sure you want to do this?"
2015 - Six Seconds of Fame - Muscial/Rockumenatry - "My garage is a palace / it locks you out"
2014 - False Profit - Musical - "No one wants to hear their future is shit"
2013 - Discord - Non-Dialogue - "..." - [Dunedin City Finalist + Best Sound Design + Best Actress]
2011 - U Creations - Body Switch - "But now, I can see the moles on my wife's face, instead of just tasting them!"
2011 - DejaV - [V48Seconds] - "A DejaV is a glitch in the Matrix." [People's Choice Award]
2010 - The Rook - Femme Fatale - "Trust? You just wanna fuck her!"

RRRFOFES! - NATIONAL BEST DAMN TEEN TEAM YEAH
2009 - d r i p - The M Night Shyamalan Big Twist Movie - "Ohh, the knives!" [Hamilton City Finalist + Best Sound Design]
2008 - The Chronicles of Jeff-Man - Superhero/Fairytale - "Never fear!!!"

caketaker

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

I finally had a read-through of the full genre list and think they're great. There's so many that look like it would be fun to do and after reading the full genre list I'm even more amped to go see what everyone else has come up with!

ULTRA again was a mixed bag — sometimes it felt limiting but at the same time that may have been a blessing in disguise? I like the idea of ULTRA as a make-or-break challenge, much like musical as a genre. So, either you'll fail horribly, OR make the best film you've ever made.

Changing up the required elements was a nice touch though I do love seeing how each team uses their line of dialogue every year. There were a lot of panic moments throughout the weekend also when I was convinced we had missed an element.

Decile One
2019 - Past-It Notes - Time Travel - "Today is the first day of the past of your life" - [Wellington City Finalist]
2017 - Discord II: Alienated - Alien Movie + Non-dialogue Movie + Redemption - "..." - ULTRA
2015 - Six Seconds of Fame - Muscial/Rockumenatry - "My garage is a palace / it locks you out"
2013 - Discord - Non-Dialogue - "..." - [Dunedin City Finalist + Best Sound Design + Best Actress]
2011 - U Creations - Body Switch - "But now, I can see the moles on my wife's face, instead of just tasting them!"
2011 - DejaV - [V48Seconds] - "A DejaV is a glitch in the Matrix." [People's Choice Award]

2009 - d r i p - The M Night Shyamalan Big Twist Movie - "Ohh, the knives!" [Hamilton City Finalist + Best Sound Design]

caketaker

Ultra 2018

Decile One are doing it this year even though we're at a third the size of our normal team! Bring it on.

Decile One

caketaker

Heat Observations/Trends/Drinking game?

At first we thought the character "a female" was a bit of a cop out (i.e. too easy), but after seeing a few heats it looks like there are waaaay more all-male teams than I thought!

The lack of team intros was really sad :( I love seeing the teams behind the films, it makes it that much more personable and fun.

Also. Lots of deaths. Murders out of nowhere!

Decile One

caketaker

Ultra teams: What did you think?

ULTRA definitely made it harder, but we ended up having a blast anyway. The most difficult part was of course, casting. Our team started in Dunedin and, while most of us have moved to Welly, some of our key team mates are still down south. Still, I think we managed pretty well!

Definitely keep ULTRA for the upcoming years. It's like a completely open dice roll that has the potential to thwart any usual production patterns that many teams have slumped into the past few years. Keeps us on our toes and the comp fresh!

Decile One

caketaker

Ultra48 - new challenge for veterans

Decile One have signed up and I am truly terrified !!! We're rather amateur but I guess we have been in this for a while...

IT'S A RISK

Decile One

caketaker

Match Cut!

This is most definitely my favourite tech element so far (and perhaps ever), and it broke my heart that the rockumentary genre limited how stylistic we could be with this shot :'( Oh well, perhaps we'll sneak in a match cut next year!

Decile One

caketaker

REVIEWS DATABASE 2015 is live - please review the films in your heat!

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

I've just put a very simple synopsis of our film in there, hopefully others do the same, cause when writing multiple reviews you run out of time to write it all down or have trouble remembering which story was which.

That's a great idea, will do the same too. How did you log in as your team? I can only find login fields for normal users.

PS, Nick, amazing work as always. Thanks so much for doing this! Am planning to go to multiple heats this year to get my review on!

Decile One

caketaker

Where is the countdown clock?

We want to display it for the weekend. Where is the page with just the countdown clock?

Decile One

caketaker

2015 Roll Call

Decile One, now in the big city!

Decile One

caketaker

GRAND FINALISTS and NOMINEES 2014

DICK OFF

Decile One

caketaker

Post Your Films in The Screening Room. And also in here.

Wow. Production value has gone up tenfold this year.

Here's our two cents: We drew Body Switch and decided to make a mockumentary about a company that sells them.

Enjoy :D

Decile One

caketaker

Opinion's on hardest genre for 2011

in reply to Mackintosh:

Stats, stats, stats stats stats !

You are awesome for doing this, just so you know. Question: Where did the expected order come from, or was that just guessed?

Decile One

caketaker

Super city XXX?

Just as the Internet has Rule 34, Real Life has Rule 99.1.

Decile One

caketaker

2010 DVDs

Awkward. Apparently our producer received the DVD last year and just never told me.

Move along, nothing to see here...

Decile One