VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

JacksColdSweat
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Who else did the V48 for the first time?

It was my first ever in any capacity and I'm still buzzing.

I'm also genuinely freaked out that were able to produce any kind of film at all in 48 hours. I realise now what I only thought I knew before we started- and I know people say it all the time - that anyone who turns anything in that even, kind of, sort of tells a story has achieved something pretty amazing.

What are you other first timers thinking?

2011 Eleven Merchants :: Leap :: Superhero :: Wr, Di, Ed
2012 Eleven Merchants :: ???? :: ???? :: Wr, DP, Di, Ed

Spitfire Productions Cody

Same here,
I was thinking, man are we really going to get this done. We achieved our story and filming in one day then our editing software crapped out for ages :( we got in with 48 secs remaining then got a phone call yesterday saying we are DQ'ed because our USB was empty

2011-Crime - Hunters - Spitfire Productions

Josh Howard

First time for me and also first time for the school I work at. It was an absolute blast and looks like it will now be an annual fixture.

There is no way to prepare for the experience without having been through it before. And trying to explain the weekend to other staff and students just doesn't seem to come out right. There is so much lost about the emotional journey that you go on.

If you get into situations where students want to walk out, they break down and cry etc. how can they possibly say at the end of it that it was the best weekend ever :)

2014 - Candlelight Productions - Shock Ending:
2014 - Lunar Films - Race Against The Clock:
2014 - Insomnia Films - Time Travel:
2014 - Grasshopper Studios - Shock Ending:
2013 - Insomnia Films - Horror:Pendulum
2013 - Grasshopper Studios - Converging Storylines:The Last Hand
2012 - Midnight Oil - 1-Shot (Horror):Mine
2012 - Grasshopper Studios - End of the World:Deadline
2011 - St Paul's - RomCom:Love In Reflection

EdAish

First time for me - always wanted to and really have no excuse as I have run a video production company for over 16 years... was fantastic had a great creative team and actors which allowed me to focus on Filming & Editing.

Rubber Soul Productions in conjunction with Pro-Vision Video & Advertising

2011 - Well Strung (Musical) - Audience Favourite | Regional Winner | Grand Finalist | Best Actor | Best Original Music
2012 - There for You (Musical) - Regional Finalist
2013 - Partners in Crime (Horror) - Regional Winner + Best Image & Sound | Best Original Song | Best Actor | Best Director
2014 - A Boaring End (Film Within A Film) - Regional RunnerUp + Best Cinematography | Best Actor | Best Original Song | Audience Favourite

Unicorns

First time for me, first time for my school, I was the one who put the idea forward, not at all expecting anyone to go for it so I was so stoked with just everything by the end of the weekend.

It was so much fun, I learned loads during the time and I can't wait to do it next year, hopefully with a bunch of equally fun, cool people (I'll be at uni next year).

And yeah, certainly agreed with Josh, we did what we could, preparing everyone by talking about it lots, making sure food, accommodation and everything was ready and well organized. But there was no way we could have predicted that the weekend would be that awesome or go the way it did. And yeah, every time I attempt to explain it to someone I get a few sentences out and I sorta give out cos words don't seem to do it justice. Definitely the highlight of my year so far, I can't wait for next year.

2011:: SCCUNICORNS:: Do You Swing That Way? - Best All Female Team + Auckland: Best All Female Team

JacksColdSweat

@ Unicorns Definitely the people who step up to come and help you is one of the most humbling and amazing experiences.

I was a totally inexperienced director with a bit of a dream and so many people I didn't even know before the weekend came along and slogged their guts out to make it happen.

That's pretty special stuff

*sniff*

It's dust in my eye - shut up!! ;o)

2011 Eleven Merchants :: Leap :: Superhero :: Wr, Di, Ed
2012 Eleven Merchants :: ???? :: ???? :: Wr, DP, Di, Ed

Smarty

I'm a first-timer - we had an amazing crew - my acting was super rusty but my 11 year old son had a chance to act his heart out. The only thing I would do next (and I've caught the bug!) is have an endless supply of food and a place to rest (I'm thinking campervan with well-stocked cupboards).

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Its pleasing to see the addictive quality of the competition remains.
If you're anything like me you'll already be planning next year's entry and what you could have done to make it better.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Pastor Thug

First time for me.
It was a lot less problematic than expected, and wasn't the epic marathon of doom that I anticipated.
I shot (17 lit setups) and edited it too, but churned it out and managed to get enough sleep etc.

Yes I do want a medal.

2011 The Audition - dance/musical - Blue Suit Productions

videoamp1969

First time for me and our school too. It was a mission watching over two school teams. But the students really loved the experience. The organisers will be pleased the students tell me they are hooked and cant wait for next year competing as an adult team. Great experience all round but next year I think I will limit myself to just watching over one team too much brain drain, and boy do teenagers get very silly when they are lacking in sleep and drink all the V!

2019TIC - Tatooed Banjos-
2019TIC - Kitty Gorls-
2019 TIC - The Thirteen-
2019 TIC - Girls-
2019 TIC - Fresh Prince of Bel Air-
2019 TIC - Round Table Productions-
2019 Editor - Nang Sun-
2018 Editor - The Reality Wizards-"Speak Up"
2018 TIC - Titanic Swim Team-"Balloon"
2018 TIC - Utopia Studios-"The Game of Life"
2018 TIC - Round Table Productions-"Death by Natural Causes"
2018 TIC - The Thirteen-"An Unfortunate Development"
2018 TIC - Tattooed Banjos-"Installing"
2018 TIC - Silver Stars-"The Black Phantom"
2017 TIC - Round Table Productions- "???"
TIC - The Three Shushes- "Damsel"
2017 TIC - Lame Name- "Logan the Bogan" (3rd Audience Favourite)
2017 TIC - Pingkee and The Pitts- "Fierce"
2016 TIC - Team Wannab- "Strings Attached" (City Winner -Spirit of the Competition Award. Nominated for; Best Make Up, Best School Team)
TIC - Af Rican Good Time- "Guess Who?" (2nd Audience Favourite, Nominated for, Best School Team)
TIC - Abra Cadaver- "Charlie's Psychosis" (2nd Audience Favourite)
TIC - The Rowing Team "Wool they wake up?"
2015 TIC - Tanfastic- "Command"
2015 TIC - The Darkest Timeline- "Walking in Pain"
2014 TIC - Vatican Daycare- "Slumber" (Audience Favourite, Nominated for;
Best Cinematography, Rialto Rising Talent, Best School Team)

2014 TIC - Proximity- "Relapse"
2014 TIC - Chookie- "The Diary of Morgan Foster"
2013 TIC - Procrasti Nation- "Joker" (City Winner - Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2013 TIC - 2 Cameras 1 Film- "The Way Forward?" (Audience Favourite)
2013 TIC - Man Over The Fence- "Drama Queen"
2013 TIC - Is That Kaiapoi?!- "Inside The Mind"
2012 TIC - JK-"Lucky in Love" (National Winner - Rialto Rising Talent Award, Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Dividing by Zero- "Shadow in the Woods" (Nominated for City-Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2012 TIC - Who Gave Us That Camera Bro- "Can You Be A SuperHero? (2nd Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Stickey Fingers- "Before the devil knows ur dead"
2011 TIC - Da Decepticons- "Kylie's Corner" (2nd Audience Favourite)
2011 TIC -The Filthy Ninjas- "Burden of our Memories"

apriochoco

Good on all you first timers....no doubt we will see you all again next year...

Not my first time this year but it has been a few years since my last actual compete but big ups this year to my son aged 8 his first year competing and he decided on the storyline and wrote most of the music and is already asking if he can compete again next year.

TheOtherGuys

All first timers. Six 12 year olds and two parents. None of us had ever made a movie, had movie experience or read any books. I think we managed to get everything wrong, have every failure, have a blast and hand something in.

We had start problems that saw us start filming at 2pm Saturday. Tiredness and inexperience saw us make poor decisions.

It was immense fun though.

We'll be back next year.

hl

awe... i remembered my first time. i actually got sponsorship and organised a giant sleep over, and had a bazillion props and gear.... and too many cooks.

2017 Permanently Confused - Snow Country for Cold Elves
H2Ow Ao-terror-oa
AFK - NZWebfest 2016 Winner

Unicorns

in reply to JacksColdSweat:

@Jackscoldsweat Haha yeah same here on the directing, I'm just a student I've never had to direct people beyond myself. Watching the final product by myself felt a bit emotional as well lol

@Smarty Ohmygod we had an ENDLESS amount of food, we fed our crew and actors totaling 21 over the entire weekend, just eat whenever you wanted and at the end of the weekend still had a massive amount of food left which we moved into our year13 common room at school, big brownie points with the rest of our year for that. We had an all girl team and the main thing we had in common was a love for some sort of media and a love for food, so naturally so much fooooood. *reminiscences about the food* 4:30AM hot chips, so goooood.

2011:: SCCUNICORNS:: Do You Swing That Way? - Best All Female Team + Auckland: Best All Female Team

nikkin

First time for me. Doing anything of this sort. I never acted in high school and had no knowledge of talent in doing so. Just got here on Saturday and did what I had to as there was nobody else to act.

I had no idea how intensely exhausting 8 hours in front of a camera could be. I lost my voice from screaming and sobbing. It was awesome. By the end I didn't need to act any more. Shit was bad and I was exhausted. There was genuine breakdown in the last scene. I honestly thought my hand was tying to kill me.

I am stressing about the techincal issues though. We had planned to use mini DV but it all went wrong so we whacked it onto a stick at the last moment. Oh the stress! Who knows how well that has worked.

But I am totally in for next year. I am concerning myself with the technical stuff now so that I am all knowledgable for next year and can be manager. Then our director can focus on directing and editing and all we need is to rope in another camera man.

2011 Vajazzle : If It Offends Thee

nikkin

Oh and late filming start = bad plan. We had to leave it til 4pm on Saturday which left everything else near to the wire.

Next year!

2011 Vajazzle : If It Offends Thee

Zombastor

Every year I'm amazed when I watch this thing that did not exist 2 days earlier, not even a twinkle in the eye.. The euphoria upon completion is the hook and it's what I remind myself every year at about 5:00am on Saturday morning when that first wall hits.

Make the deadline and be proud, our first film was an abomination but we didn't think that at the time.

2011 | Copy That | Lense Flare | National Runner Up
2010 | Episode 12: Season Finale | Lense Flare | Nameless Obscurity
2009 | Technical Difficulties | Zombies Rule | AKL Finalist - Best Screenplay
2008 | Beyond Belief | Lense Flare | National Runner Up
2007 | Lease | Lense Flare | National Winner
2006 | Tonight Live | Same Day Davids | Nowhere

sngeorge2

First time for me too and I done everything by myself.

dramamike

I'm tempted to do a night shoot on the Friday night and potentially a re-shoot on the Saturday night.
That way write, shoot then collapse, while the editors and actors recover.
This might enable the musicians to really have the chance to compose something that really blends with the film on the Saturday.
Then shoot again, or complete the edit.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal