VF48Hours Forum

ruth
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

What if changed all the requirements this year?

Just putting the cat among the pigeons but us here at HP48 HQ are thinking about the required elements this year. Should we keep the same format or change it up completely - If you were us what would you do? Go..

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Possible changes/additions-
Required action- eg- glass breaking, slamming a door, bouncing a ball
Sound effect- A sneeze, siren, dripping water

Have two different film styles- one a director's style and a genre. Each team gets one of each, therefore loads of potential across the heats.
Peter Jackson with sci-fi
Christopher Nolan with western
Tim Burton with romance
M Night Shylaman with comedy

A given genre (like normal), then given a choice (like musical/dance or western/war) to add to it.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

AJ

in reply to dramamike:

I hate to be a naysayer. But I say nay.
Required actions and sounds are bound to become way more intrusive and noticeable, yes there will be some teams who find ways to be innovative, but it's already a slog to get through seeing the same prop a thousand times, and I think action and sound would be far more cumbersome. When was the last time you didn't notice a Wilhelm Scream?

That being said, as I'm typing this I realize you probably didn't mean everyone has the exact same sound_effect.wav, so I guess in a lot of ways this could simply be an audio version of a prop. But then what would the line of dialogue be?

I guess the required elements work now because they're all different aspects of the process. Prop is video, line is audio, character is writing and tech is camera/editing. If the elements are to be changed, I would hope they'd all still fill this criteria.

I think making the genres anymore restrictive isn't gonna produce a myriad of varied films... so I dunno about your director style idea, as that's a subjective thing anyway. What I say is Tarantino might be what you say is Wes Anderson.

In regards to changing things at all, I'm in two camps here. I definitely don't think the changes should make it harder for newcomers. It's fine to up the stakes for veterans, but it'd suck for this to be your first year and all of a sudden you HAVE to include some crazy element.

As I said, if the changes still fill the same functions as the current ones, I think it'll be all good.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Bloydd

I support changing up the elements, to bring something new to the competition. But I totally agree with everything Alex said, I guess you guys know the competition and know what would restrict too much vs what could be integrated well. It's like a Black James Bond, it can work, but don't do it just to be edgy

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

dramamike

Alex, saying nay is all good.
Do I desperately want the elements changed? Nope, not at all.
But if they were? Then there are some ideas.

Definitely not the same sound effect, simply each team's version of the sound. For example the'siren' might be a car alarm or someone pretending to be a fire engine 'Woooo'

Although director styles are somewhat subjective, some- like the ones I suggested, do have distinctive styles (like the ones you've identified). Tarantino and Anderson are very different film makers.

I hadn't thought of the audio, visual, camera and character as clearly as you had. It is nice and neat.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up

ruth

What if you could take an element away? Which one?

AJ

in reply to ruth:

Prop seems to be the one I care about the least but it also seems to be the most obvious. I love the line and character, they both feel pretty iconic. Tech element doesn't matter to me much.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

dramamike

in reply to AJ:

Character and line must stay.

If I was to drop one, it would be the technical one.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy

Bloydd

I personally think they should all stay. I mean keep 4 elements, would be dumb to have 4 for so long then just go back to 3. But yeah I mean if you wanna swap one out for something, then we can talk.

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Cardinal

Just discussing this with a team member.

Required... event? Would have to be something really adaptable, like "A collision" or "An interruption".

AJ

in reply to Cardinal:

Hahaha these are all really creative ideas, and I'll eat whatever's on my plate. I guess I'm just conscious of still having a variety of films. Props, scripted lines, character names are all pretty clear cut. A collision is pretty vague and could mean a number of things, so I guess that counts for variety- but it could also be hard for teams to define?

Idk, my first ever comp my genre was Biopic and I'd never heard of that, so I guess this works fine.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

ruth

oh thats a creative idea... I was loving the genre mashups on the other thread...

mikedensem

in reply to ruth:

Drop the technical element - with so many gear setups it isn't always possible.

I've always felt the line of dialogue being so specific (meaning it has to be exactly as written) has restricted some clever and funny uses of it.

--------------------
2019 - Maximum of 30 characters - The Holiday Movie:
Cabin Fever
2018 - Silence of the LAMZ - The Last day on Earth Movie: An Appointment with a Poo
2017 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical (Transformation): TRANSformation
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Survival (Fate): Best Day Ever
2016 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Horror: Glitchers
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films -Time Travel: One More Time(s)
2015 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical: Find a Way
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Mad Science: Kitty-Matic 2000
2014 - Slept through this whole year...
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

fakenews
Since: Aug 2017

DO IT... NAKED 48hrs.. no requirements.. just be radical and unpredictable.. unconventional.. left field.. nutso

maybe you guys should set up a POLL for this?

ruth

Like actually naked or metaphorically - NO RULES...

fakenews
Since: Aug 2017

POLL: go naked or .... hit the url and make a choice

https://goo.gl/J6fety

AJ

in reply to fakenews:

I'm very confused. But I like that people are posting on the forums now.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

Please don't drop the required Technical Element, Its easily my favourite of the elements, and it gets teams to think more about the technical/visual language of cinema, the match cut was an inspired choice for technical element.

Something I've thought about in the past was mixing up Genre,

Currently we have two types of genre in the mix, standard genres like Horror, Rom Com, and then what i kinda call film descriptors like shyamalan twist, or the robot/cyborg movie, or one room movie, while these can be treated like genres they actually require the team to pick a genre on top of their required genre.

something I thought about a few years back is if each genre came with a theme r idea. something more open ended. then teams could pick genre or theme, or for extra big balls, they could use both. first time teams would be encouraged to go with genre so they know the kind of movie they are making, intermediate teams could pick the theme and pro teams looking for more of challenge would do both.

so a team might get Horror paired with 'Prejudice'. they could then make a horror movie, or a movie with the central theme Prejudice. or a horror movie about Prejudice.

or you might get the genre, Science Fiction and the theme of Courage,

Crime Movie &/or Isolation
Rom Com &/or Discovery
One Room Movie &/or Freedom
Sex Ed Movie &/or Ambition

The themes wouldn't have to relate to the genre at all, something like this would still add the quintessential element of a required story element, while still giving the team the choice of what kind of movie they want to make.

some might say I'm totally missing the point of 48hours, but I would prefer to use a required theme, than a really nutty required genre.

at the high end of the completion i think this would level the playing field, I think currently the luck of the draw around genre means that teams arn't really competing on a level playing field. at the moment you either get cursed by your genre or empowered by it, it's a real luck of the draw.

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

My personal feeling is that the required elements are actually quite useful for the process, at least (and especially) for the newer teams. While I'm sure many of the more established teams would be able to rock out something off the cuff, I think that others might kind of flounder around without some guidance.

There is always going to be certain aspects that are required simply to ensure that there is no cheating (specifically, no prerecording/shooting etc), so having a character or something that is required will likely never change.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think a fully "naked" comp without the requirements would be both harder to run, and harder to succeed in as a filmmaker. (But perhaps offer greater satisfaction and even greater results?)

I know that for me, waiting to find out our genre was one of the most thrilling and terrifying parts of the whole event - the anticipation is always palpable at the launch events, and the cries of joy and horror at the announcements are wonderful.

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

in reply to Cardinal:

Required... event? Would have to be something really adaptable, like "A collision" or "An interruption".

I like this a lot!

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

AJ

in reply to Strange:

some might say I'm totally missing the point of 48hours, but I would prefer to use a required theme, than a really nutty required genre.

Look man, I think you're totally missing the point of 48 hours.

There's a danger here because I think the idea of switching things up is very tantalising for those of us who've been competing for over 2 or 3 years, but it's also missing the point of what the elements and genres are supposed to do, and where the excitement of competing even comes from.

In my mind, the current elements are as basic as you could get. A prop, a line, a character name/trait, a technical element and a genre are the most obvious things that come to mind when thinking of elements. As Droolingmonkey points out, they serve dual purposes- ensuring no one cheats by making a film early, and giving storytellers a prompt to get the ball rolling. They don't need to be complex, and I'm still not convinced they need to advance beyond what they are because it's not like having the same format for ~13 years has made the films stale, no one is watching the films thinking "Oh man I'm really sick of 48 Hour films having at least one CHARACTER in them year after year", because every film has these components anyway.

Genres, I'll concede, are a different kettle of fish as they continue to get weirder and more tangential every year, and we all have genres we don't think were that great, but I guess that's the biggest gamble of the comp, it's the one bullet in your Russian roulette, it's the one pizza slice with super hot sauce on it, it's the booger-flavoured Jelly bean you hoped was Juicy Pear.

Pairing any of these elements with something else, like you stated Strang, runs the risk of either making the guidelines confusing- as some teams hamfistedly shove "Well I guess in the end we learned that prejudice is wrong" into their horror film, as well as making those restrictions which inspire creativity a it too restrictive for my tastes.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA