VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Nikki
Since: Nov 2012

Feed for this Topic

What do you spend?

Just out of curiosity, what do people tend to spend on their 48hours films? The only time I did 48hrs we just pooled a bunch of people and things and everyone bought their own food so it didn't cost anything and the outcome was pretty good. But that was 2006! I think times have changed....?

nimlin
Since: Apr 2011

entry fee,food, petrol,are the basics. but some teams hire cameras,lights,microphones etc so it varies on the budget each team has

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

ryan

Entry + food

But we have a fair amount of gear so no need to rent.

Was RyanM on the old forum.

dramamike

Our team spend similar to the above and usually it costs are $500-750

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

clang

Yeah, entry fee and food are unavoidable, although how the costs are split amongst the team is a deep and profound philisophical discussion point.

Rental of costumes and equipment varies wildly from team to team - you need to agree up front what if any budget you have (and again how the costs are split) so that your writing team knows what they have to work with, otherwise you'll wake up Sat morning and find the DoP trying to hire a helicopter. :)

dramamike

in reply to clang:

I've charged people to be involved to help cover things and keep the costs down.
$20 per person is around the figure that worked for me.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

ryan

We have a producer team of 3, its usually goes something like I pay for entry, someone else pays for beers, someone else makes all the food.

Was RyanM on the old forum.

Mista Teas

Everyone contributes food/alcohol at some point. I can usually source all the gear/props we need. I like to take care of the entry fee (although I've been lucky enough to get it for free for the last couple of years) mainly so that I can take ownership of the DVD! Wait...

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Giles
Since: May 2011

Apart from the usual stuff, like petrol and the entry fee, the only thing I can think of that we spent actual money on was some lamb's brains from a butcher. I don't know how much that was, but it can't have been a lot. Crew and friends of crew brought food along and our amazing production person wrangled coffee sponsorship. Oh actually, now that I think of it, we bought some pizza and some food from a bakery as well. Everything else, like make-up consumables, gear, props and costumes was just donated or found by the crew.

Our production didn't really cost anything in money terms so it sounds pretty similar in that regard to your 2006 experience, Nikki.

2014| Noise and Pictures | Rubble | Co-writer, Director, co-D.O.P., editor.
2013| Noise and Pictures |Gift-Wrapped| Director, co-writer, co-D.O.P., editor.
2012| Noise and Pictures | Brains? | Director, co-writer, D.O.P., editor.
2011| Noise and Pictures | Super Self Me | Director, co-writer, D.O.P., editor.
2010| Noise and Pictures | Bottle o' Love Director, D.O.P., editor, music.
2008| Naked Pictures | Merely Players | Actor
2007| Naked Pictures | Happy Valley | Actor
2007| ??????? | Fear it, Want it, touch it. | Editor
2004| The Hilariafia | This Topia | 2nd D.O.P.

Nikki
Since: Nov 2012

I've heard of some teams spending thousands (usually the ones from advertising agencies) and calling in all matter of favours from their hugely resourced production contacts.

But I hope that those big productions aren't necessarily the favourites. I love the films that are just so bad and awkward that you can't help but get frozen in an ear-to-ear grin.

Giles
Since: May 2011

I was acting for a big team one year that had a lot of sponsored stuff, so it was quite a big, full production. Although that's not the way I've run 48 hour teams when I've produced/directed I really enjoyed just playing my part in the system and I think it can be good for people to get some experience with more professional ways of doing things. I know people who have been involved in some of those more highly produced 48 hour films who have gone on to get good work in the industry, even when their films didn't go that far in the competition. I guess the competition can be different things to different people. I love the inventiveness and cringe comedy and awkwardness of the having-a-go teams as well. I think my favourite is when you watch something and you have no idea how someone came up with it; the thought processes are unfathomable. I think it's great to have all the different kinds of teams in the same arena. It makes for a great night at the heats and the finals.

2014| Noise and Pictures | Rubble | Co-writer, Director, co-D.O.P., editor.
2013| Noise and Pictures |Gift-Wrapped| Director, co-writer, co-D.O.P., editor.
2012| Noise and Pictures | Brains? | Director, co-writer, D.O.P., editor.
2011| Noise and Pictures | Super Self Me | Director, co-writer, D.O.P., editor.
2010| Noise and Pictures | Bottle o' Love Director, D.O.P., editor, music.
2008| Naked Pictures | Merely Players | Actor
2007| Naked Pictures | Happy Valley | Actor
2007| ??????? | Fear it, Want it, touch it. | Editor
2004| The Hilariafia | This Topia | 2nd D.O.P.

Freezingfire

We spend a lot. We have a lot of gear ourselves, mostly camera and computers but gear like lenses and lights Nick and I hire in for the weekend. Our reason behind spending money is that it gives all of our 30 person cast and crew a role and something to do. For some of them this is a future they want to pursue and for others a hobby, new equipment has kept it interesting and them all learning. Also worth mentioning feeding and transporting 30 people is hugely expensive and easily accounts for 1/3 - 1/2 the weekend's cost.

We ask for donations from the group, some have jobs, others are poor uni students but most value the weekend and contribute what they can. In the end we all have fun, and all the shiny gear and full stomachs tend to help that (especially at 6am Sunday morning in the cold and rain as they fight to sleep in the back of a van). That is not to say that a brilliant film can't be made on the entry fee alone, for us it wouldn't work and there would be more dissent in the ranks than usual.

Johnathan Guest
Halcyon Entertainment
14 time 48Hours entrant
2018 Auckland City Winner