VF48Hours Forum

AJ
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

What are your pet peeves in 48 Hours?

What do you see in the films that gets under your skin?
For example, any kind of overdone topical reference/joke/meme never lands well, and really dates the film.
Not looking forward to the ammount of Trump jokes which will surely be in the competition this year.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

in reply to Samuel Shelton:

Another one is people bringing way more people then they are designated to the heats to vote there film in for Audience choice

This is one of my pet peeves. It is usually very obvious (from the quality of the films, the genuine audience reactions while playing etc), but so difficult to police. Just putting it out there, but how would you feel about having voting set up in the heats so each team had one voting sheet each, so it doesn't matter how big (or stacked) any of the teams are? I'm reluctant in a way, as the voting is such joyful chaotic madness, but from a practical side, it would be seemingly much fairer, and much (MUCH) easier to tally up and get results out quickly.

As far as the taking risks thing goes - it may be that there is a specific prize for going batshit crazy, which would allow for more storied films to also stand on their own merit, rather than trying for them ALL to be mad (as great as that sounds). If it were up to me it'd be the Batshit Crazy Award, and highly prized.

Bloydd

Another one is people bringing way more people then they are designated to the heats to vote there film in for Audience choice

I haven't been able to attend the heats in years but this did always bug me a little bit. I've seen teams of 20+ people walk out after their film finished which was the worst etiquette I've seen from a 48hours team. Was a pretty good film too, which was a shame, because I doubt they got any votes from outside of their team that night.

I used to take the audience vote as gospel, but nowadays it seems to have almost no effect on who makes the city finals (in Christchurch at least).

I'd also add to the peeve list that every year you see films from Wes Anderson fans that have the entirety of their film riding on the use of centre-framed shots and quirky voiceover, rather than trying to make a good film.

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Samuel Shelton

in reply to droolingmonkey:

I'm so down with this Idea 'BIG THUMBS UP' this would even it out a lot and like you said counting the votes would be much easier and time saving.

Conspiracy of Ravens
2017 Bad Vibrations - Bad Seed ULTRA
Purple Leaf Productions
2016 Childhood Pussy - Mistaken Identity
2014 The Budgie Smuggler - Mistaken Identity
2012 Afghani Gold - Crime - Nominated for Best Animation
2011 Super Bully - Super Hero
BadMoFoProductions
2010 The Toy Next Door- Femme Fatal - Nominated Sexiest film
2009 Experiment #37 - Conspiracy
2007 War Shrooms - War
The Unofficials
2005 Family Echos - Horror

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Wellington has had fairly open heats the last few years. A key element to the success of this comp is the attraction of seeing your work on the big screen. Every team needs an equal chance of this.
Having a large cinema to enable large numbers to come to the heats is important in my opinion- otherwise teams end up in the unfortunate situation of selecting the '10 most important' people in the team to attend. Everything that can be done to avoid this should be done.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Samuel Shelton:

Another one is people bringing way more people then they are designated to the heats to vote there film in for Audience choice. So any times have I seen undeserving films win and great films missing out.

I wonder if the incidence of this sort of thing might vary from city to city. In my (CHCH) experience, I've often been surprised at how reasonable the voting audience has been in most cases, and if there's a bias, it's usually that the crowd-pleaser film will often win out over the ultimately better-made film (and I think our team have both benefited and suffered from this particular bias over the years).

Personally, I wouldn't want to see the audience voting process get too complicated or over-policed cos, you know, in the end it's just a certificate and some brownie points (which totally isn't nothing, sure, but not the same thing as winning a camera or whatever).

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Mista Teas:

Teams not putting their film into the Screening Room.

In CHCH last year I think there were 80ish entries. Only 38 have made it to the SR & not all of the city finalists are even there. This is rubbish and has been for a number of years.

Yes! Very much this!

Along similar lines, this is a fairly rare one, and I think there's been mild debate about this on these forums before, but I personally feel that the film that gets uploaded should be exactly what was submitted. Actually, maybe I'm willing to give some of the more novice teams a pass on sneaking in a little fix-up to their badly-recorded audio or whatever, but at least for the more experienced teams, I feel it's important to present it exactly, cos people look at these and go "Wow, you did all that in 48 hours?" Plus they're comparing apples to apples that way, when viewing multiple competition films.

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

AJ

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

I personally feel that the film that gets uploaded should be exactly what was submitted.

Interesting. I'd say it depends on what the change is. Our first film we made as Les Cosuins had a big blue banner through some of our shots saying "COULD NOT STABILIZE", and to be honest we're just not gonna upload that version anywhere. The only change we made was taking the failed stabilizer off those clips.

I would maybe draw the line at any additions made to your film? Adding scenes, doing re-shoots, anything like that.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

dramamike

I think it should be the one submitted.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to AJ:

Interesting. I'd say it depends on what the change is. Our first film we made as Les Cosuins had a big blue banner through some of our shots saying "COULD NOT STABILIZE", and to be honest we're just not gonna upload that version anywhere. The only change we made was taking the failed stabilizer off those clips.

I would maybe draw the line at any additions made to your film? Adding scenes, doing re-shoots, anything like that.

Oh yes, to clarify, I mean the 48HOURS final cut creatively speaking. I would definitely make an exception for issues to do with exporting, corrupted files, etc. (This was much more of an issue back in the bad old days of MiniDV or whatever that format was called.)

I'm really talking about fixing an edit, a sound queue you didn't quite get time to finish, a special effect, choosing a different take, improving the titles, etc.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

AJ

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

It's a tricky one though, maybe there's some credence in uploading a director's cut if you really really care about your film post 48.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to AJ:

It's a tricky one though, maybe there's some credence in uploading a director's cut if you really really care about your film post 48.

100% agree, and sometimes the film is so almost-great that it seems criminal not to do those few minor tweaks to make it even better. I guess all I ask in that case is that they upload the original in addition to their special fancy-pants final fiddling edition.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Bloydd

Trying to write my wrong of not uploading my CHCH finalist film from last year but the screening room won't let me!

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

mikedensem

in reply to droolingmonkey:

This could be solved mathematically.

--------------------
2019 - Maximum of 30 characters - The Holiday Movie:
Cabin Fever
2018 - Silence of the LAMZ - The Last day on Earth Movie: An Appointment with a Poo
2017 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical (Transformation): TRANSformation
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Survival (Fate): Best Day Ever
2016 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Horror: Glitchers
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films -Time Travel: One More Time(s)
2015 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical: Find a Way
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Mad Science: Kitty-Matic 2000
2014 - Slept through this whole year...
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

Samuel Shelton

in reply to Bloydd:

Yes the upload page is like the V ad it's Kaputski

Conspiracy of Ravens
2017 Bad Vibrations - Bad Seed ULTRA
Purple Leaf Productions
2016 Childhood Pussy - Mistaken Identity
2014 The Budgie Smuggler - Mistaken Identity
2012 Afghani Gold - Crime - Nominated for Best Animation
2011 Super Bully - Super Hero
BadMoFoProductions
2010 The Toy Next Door- Femme Fatal - Nominated Sexiest film
2009 Experiment #37 - Conspiracy
2007 War Shrooms - War
The Unofficials
2005 Family Echos - Horror

squire
Since: May 2013

"Another one is people bringing way more people then they are designated to the heats to vote there film in for Audience choice"

Just stick a rule in: everyone who comes in must be of a team (this already happens) and decree: you can't vote for your own film.

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines

ruth

I'm not looking forward to a thousand Donald Trump jokes repeatedly appearing. (I totally support making fun of him but it gets tired after heat 3).

dramamike

in reply to ruth:

Noted.
Will hope to be in heat 1-3
Otherwise, sorry

2019 Depart'ners Buddy