Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Ultra teams: What did you think?

I think it was a great challenge.

TBALC / Team Moon

DogsBreakfast
Since: Apr 2011

I liked it.

Took us a while to think about what film we could turn into a survival movie. We certainly pushed the boundaries of that genre, hopefully it still counts, but we'll see.

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Andrew Todd

I would maintain you can make a sequel to any film in any genre...

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Taunise

It was certainly fun to revisit that one film that made you itch to do more - but I don't think I'd do it again if it was a sequel. I like making up a new story every year and changing up the visual aesthetic.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

CraigWB

I wasn't thrilled about the sequel at first but once I decided what film to do a sequel of I think it helped the writing more then if I had to write the film from scratch. I think the biggest problems I ran into was that I was under the impression that we also had to combine this years genre with the last films genre so I was rolling out films based on that. The other thing was keeping track of all of the elements. I kept looking up on the 48 hours website thinking things like "What's this years line of dialogue? What is this years prop?"
I think it would be good to have a different Ultra challenge every year I could keep making sequels to Operator until I had a 48 hours franchise going on but it would be good to make things fresh every year.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

We loved it! I think the concept was brilliant. The regular competition was way more vague in its elements this year and Ultra was crazy specific. Which is great as the newbies got an easier start and the Vets got thrown for a six. I feel like in recent years the biggest names in the comp have been going further and further with their preplanning. This really helped to give the old guys a fresh new unknown challenge and make it feel like those exciting first couple years in the comp where you were wide eyed and nervous as hell. I hope Ultra stays but that they keep coming up with fantastic clever ideas like the sequel idea but not sequel again. Perhaps prequel in a few years though?

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Andrew Todd:

I'm not saying you can't, but in terms of what we thought might work best as well as keeping it in the same universe. Even though we switch from live action to animation, we kept the same characters and world that the originals live in.

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Ness Patea

Hi All, Glad to hear ULTRA went down well and yes it makes the competition fresh again. Our plan is to switch up ULTRA next year - it will be different.

If all the ULTRA teams can make sure the film they made a sequel to is in the screening room then we can link to it.

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

Mista Teas

When it was revealed at the launch it felt like a huge amount to do in the 48HRs. However, as others have mentioned, with the 2017 elements being relatively straight forward it was only a matter of making sure we kept in mind the other year's elements, which we found pretty straight-forward. I kept a running list of both years, ticking everything off!

Friday, we drew up a list of our films and discussed the pros & cons of each in relation to a where to next for the story & characters. And so we settled on a sequel to our 2014 film, "The Shirt". It was a lot of fun for me to revisit the character of Kurt who I voice. We kept it in the same animation style of the first film but with a little more polish & live motion backgrounds instead of illustrations. The film takes place immediately after the events of "The Shirt".

On the downside I was really excited about getting the Alien genre (Aliens & Witches terrify me) and immediately had an idea for it which I would have loved to have done during the weekend. ULTRA48 completely killed that though.

Great initiative though and I'd do it again as I really liked the mystery factor of ULTRA48. Well done to all concerned!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Vanessa
Since: Jul 2015

Loved it. Initially thought it would be relatively straight forward, but it so wasn't and we were seriously challenged. Not least because we had set ourselves goals within the team, and we had new people trying new roles. So much fun!! I felt the danger this year!

2018: TBALC - The Spares - (Ultra)
2017: TBALC - Down 2 The Wire - (Ultra)
2015: TBALC - The Silent Man - National Finalist, Best Use of Character / Christchurch Winner, Best Editing, Best Script
2015: Zebra Crossing - #2 Way - Christchurch Best Animation
2014: TBALC - The Ex - National Finalist / Christchurch Winner
2014: The Eh Team - Restaurant D'Erreurs (Mistaken Identity) - National Finalist
2013: Zebra Crossing - Azanti (Non Dialogue) - National Finalist / Christchurch Runner Up, Chch Best Cinematography
2012: Zebra Crossing - Fukushu (Fantasy) - Christchurch Best Actress, Sexiest Looking Short
2011: Zebra Crossing - A Series Of Unlikely Events (Quest) - Nominated Christchurch Best Actress
2008: Otherside - A Brush with Death (Horror)
2007: Otherside - The Other Side (Religious Movie) - Nominated Christchurch Best Actress
2005: (Don't remember team name but can't forget the prop!)

jjosland
Since: May 2015

Ultra challenge was fine.

Building the airplane in the garage was ok.

The real challenge was having enough time to get all the skydiving death scenes in- I pushed myself and the team a bit far and didn't have time to get them all in. Will make an extended cut for the fans.

2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

Koopzilla
Since: Jul 2016

I really enjoyed Ultra. There was so much debate over which film we wanted to sequelize. It was certainly a challenge and refreshing addition to this year's comp. Would Ultra again.

Chess Club
2019 - Hart and Soul (Buddy)
2018 - Small Fish, Big City (Fish out of water) ULTRA - National Finalist
2017 - Morgan Foster presents: Mindcreep Cinema (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016 - Text Back (Rom-Com) - National Finalist
2015 - Bread Winner (Musical) - Grand Final Winner
2014 - Mindcreep (Fantasy) - Auckland City Finalist
2013 - I Got Robots (Robot/Android) - National Runner up, Best Actor
2010 - The Power of Love (Rom-Com)
2009 - Alex, His Kids and Miracle World (Family) - Wellington City Finalist
2008 - The Hack Pack (Juvenile Delinquent) - Audience Favourite
2007 - Andrew Bayliss: Ghost Detective (Religious)

dramamike

I'm really stoked that Ultra seems to have gone so well.
I'd like to see it become a regular feature of the comp. Obviously, you can't have sequel every year. But it should be doable with other challenges in its place.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Andrew Todd

in reply to Koopzilla:

I'll admit: I'm mildly sad we don't get to see I GOT ROBOTS 2 (WE GOT ROBOTS? I GOT MORE ROBOTS? ROBOTS GOT ME?). That's an all-timer. Would be hard to top that ending though.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Steve Austin

I'm looking forward to the year musical gets excluded from the genres and Ultra is "REMAKE a previous 48Hours short you've made, as a musical"... wait, no, I'm not looking forward to that at all...

2017 - "Gym Buddy" - Buddy Movie - 6 Million Bucks - Team Leader/Executive Producer
2016 - "Jour du Biscuit" - Comedy of Errors - 6 Million Bucks - Team Leader/Director/The Police Detective
2015 - "The Breadmaker" - Last Person On Earth - Ask Me Tomorrow - Doctor Harper Harrison Senior/Stylin Beta
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" - Action/Advanture - TBALC - Carruthers/The Sandman
2012 - "Surcease" - Inspirational - Hybrid Motion Pictures - Production Co-ordinator
2011 - "Roundelay" - Mystery - Hybrid Motion Pictures - Producer, Co-Writer
2005-2010 - OPERATIONS MANAGER (2009/10) & THAT THERE CHRISTCHURCH CITY MANAGER GUY (2005-2010)
2004 - Buddy Movie - (Tape destroyed/files lost)

Ness Patea

We have started posting links to the films that ULTRA teams made a sequel to. If you want to have a look at them before the heats - https://www.48hours.co.nz/2017/register/?ss=ultra48

ULTRA teams send us a link to your previous films preferably in the screening room. ness@48hours.co.nz

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

Sam Spooner
Since: May 2012

Deciding which film to sequelize was difficult and it caused a rift in the team for a while. I really wanted to make something new. Having to include all the old elements felt like a huge step backwards in terms of the other changes made to this year's competition, I was under the impression that the whole point in the changes was to make 48 hour films less formulaic so asking the experienced teams to rehash stuff was a little baffling to me, plus I know Ant likes original voices and thinks Hollywood's obsession with sequels and remakes is a bit shit, so yeah the whole concept of the Ultra 48 surprised me and made me go "wtf are they thinking!?".

Having said all that, I had an absolute blast. I got to revisit a character that I wanted to do justice(I think I did), we had kept all the old costumes and props from that year and we made something we are all proud of.

TOMORROW TODAY
2017 - ADAD2: The Wizarding - Crime Ultra
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite
2014 - 20q - Mystery Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2013 - NZSS - Converging Storylines Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2012 - The Brick - Superhero Film Audience Favorite First Equal

Koopzilla
Since: Jul 2016

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Haha! As was I man. Robots was the front runner for most of the deliberations. Maybe... one day. I'm intrigued to see what kind of curve balls ULTRA throws at us in the future.

Chess Club
2019 - Hart and Soul (Buddy)
2018 - Small Fish, Big City (Fish out of water) ULTRA - National Finalist
2017 - Morgan Foster presents: Mindcreep Cinema (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016 - Text Back (Rom-Com) - National Finalist
2015 - Bread Winner (Musical) - Grand Final Winner
2014 - Mindcreep (Fantasy) - Auckland City Finalist
2013 - I Got Robots (Robot/Android) - National Runner up, Best Actor
2010 - The Power of Love (Rom-Com)
2009 - Alex, His Kids and Miracle World (Family) - Wellington City Finalist
2008 - The Hack Pack (Juvenile Delinquent) - Audience Favourite
2007 - Andrew Bayliss: Ghost Detective (Religious)

AJ

We didn't do ULTRA, as no one else on the team felt they were ready for it except me, but later on I realized that ironically we would have had an idea WAY sooner if we had to do a sequel, as it's almost a justifiable reason to repeat a previous formula that worked, instead of coming up with something from scratch.

I thought the decision to make Ultra a sequel was a very interesting one, and I'm surprised to see everyone here loved it, I was expecting a lot more anger haha. I would like to do Ultra next year, but I worry the output of films will just end up too self referential if it's something like "make a sequel" each year. Just my two cents, I'm sure the ultras will be great. Can't wait to see them!

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

Not an Ultra Player BUT.

I love love loved the changes to the comp this year.

And i still love the concept of Ultra. But good god I’m glad we didn’t do ultra.

I guess i shouldn’t really pass judgement till ive seen what the ultra teams made. But my fear is that all to many of the ultra film will be based in comedy and in particular, inside jokes.

I can’t wait to see the teams that made serious dramatic sequels.

I was really hoping that ultra would firmly push the long time teams away from easy comedy ideas. But perhaps it succeeded in taking the easy part away!

*awaiting moderation*

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

Cardinal

Sequel was neat, although the trick will becoming up with stuff that's as-good-but-not-the-same for Ultra in future years.

I'm wondering how many teams reacast roles from previous films? We mentally ruled out a lot of our previous entries due to personnel.