VF48Hours Forum

Searlo
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Ultra 2019 (and why you should do it)

Some interesting stats regarding Ultra: of the 34 teams that entered, 9 have made the Grand Final (excluding the PJ Wildcards). That could be due to a) more experienced teams take Ultra and tend to be better at the format, or b) the added restriction helps story. I’m more inclined toward the latter. Imposing restrictions helps story and encourages creativity.

I’m not sure how many non-ultra teams there were, but assuming 600ish seems fair. 6 non-Ultra teams made the Grand Final (so far) - which is 1% - significantly down on the 26% of Ultra teams.

While the numbers might be slightly off, it’s interesting to note the over representation of Ultra teams this year. It builds a pretty strong case for eligible teams to enter. (I am trolling Rowan a little on this, but curious as to what you think).

(Congratulations to all the finalists! Can’t wait to see all of them!!)

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

Freezingfire
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Clayton Hiku:

But then animals would have been an option in that case?

I mean we did make an Anti rom com with snails.... it could have been a high school movie with snails... or a splat stick with snails (now that would probably have been harder!) And we did have other ideas with people in animal ones-ies etc. I do think the age limit could have been lower. Even 14 would have still meant you could use actual teenagers in it.

I'm just very glad we didn't go for our children ruling the world and looking after adults idea.

Johnathan Guest
Halcyon Entertainment
14 time 48Hours entrant
2018 Auckland City Winner