VF48Hours Forum

Bloydd
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Thread about anything else!

I dunno about you guys, but the only other active thread on this forum has turned into a bit of a bummer.

So here's some conversation starters for a new, fun, lighthearted thread:

Are you back this year?
Are you doing anything different this year?
Are you doing Ultra?
Do you have any ideas for a new compulsory element?
What changes would you love to see in the comp?
What if changed all the requirements this year?

Anyone have any fun statistics? Those threads are always good.

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions and ask your own so that you and/or someone else can answer them.

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

themorgan
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Jason:

A really cheap trophy would be cool too.

The comp has a trophy. It was custom designed and churned out by the dozen in previous years. It's called an Apee and I don't know why they aren't still a really big thing because they were totally bloody coveted.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Andrew Todd

We're back, but we'll be based in Chicago instead of Montreal, so we're changing our name from Poutine Wolf to Deep Dish Pizza Wolf. Also, we'll both be in the same city, which will be a change.

Not sure about Ultra yet, but probably will do it.

Bring on whatever the competition brings on.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Pastafarian Productions is back, but I still have no idea in what format, lol. Previously we were a duo, then added a few actors to help, but this year nobody I usually work with is available so I'm a possible solo, possible duo, possible wrangle some random strangers in to make it interesting. If I'm solo I'm tempted to try animation, but was planning to y'know, learn how to do it with a bit more lead time into the competition, haha.

I don't think I'm doing ultra, like some of the others I'm a bit wary of what might come up, and it's hard to extrapolate from 2 really different data points. I'm not a fan of genres, elements, or ultras that shape your film too much, I like it better when they're open enough to let you do anything but you have to think carefully about doing it well. Like Alien as a genre... It's more of a trope and you basically have to subvert it to open it up. The first ultra with the sequel was a bit like that, a little too restrictive. Children and animals was good, but also hard if you're a solo team, and that clarity is definitely needed at 7pm Friday.

I liked the combination of 2 things that the year with the themes gave, not sure I like the themes, but I do like the idea of having 2 pools of choice in order to get more variety in the films. Maybe something like having 2-3 characters/traits to choose from plus your given genre could make the films more diverse than always being "Oh Jerry, you're such a hypochondriac!"

I miss the technical element for sure, would love to see that back. Wasn't a fan of the sound effect just because it was impossible to hear it naturally after the first 2 films. I'd prefer if it was like you need to include the sound of the wind, and they provide one, but you can use any wind sound effect. Basically I like elements that don't progressively start to just hit you in the face harder and harder as you sit and watch the heats, and see it over and over :)

I like being kept on my toes, so happy if they change things up, as long as they encourage creativity instead of boxing people in, haha.

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Joel_Tempero
Since: May 2018

rip focus is back in action - not sure if we qualify for Ultra yet..perhaps next year.
We're feeling pretty fresh, bit of a reset. The exam clashes gave us a scare initially with a number of our team having to drop out, but we've taken a page out of Submission Impossible's book and have decided to roll with the waves no matter where they come from. We're super excited!

rip focus - Team Leader
2019 - "a nipple in time" (Time-Travel)
2018 - "A Slice of You" (Anti-Rom Com)
2017 - "A Ripple in Time" (Sci-Fi)

Bus Stop Studios (School Team) - Team Leader
2016- "Knitting, Crochet & Embroidery" (Puppet)
2015- "Harper's Curiosity" (Mystery)

Ness Patea

Ultra48 just got a Crewlist injection - the prize is now 3K

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

Jason
Since: Mar 2013

That's an awesome prize! But more pressure to win it now haha. No one else sign up for Ultra now please... You were right after all, it's not worth doing.

www.youtube.com/JovialEntertainment

www.facebook.com/JovialEntertainment

2018 - Jovial Entertainment | Daddy's Little Angel (Splatstick) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist. Auckland City Best Editor and best puddle
2017 - Jovial Entertainment | Pizza Money (Action/Ambition) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist + Auckland City and Grand Finals Best Editing winner
2016 - Jovial Entertainment | Munchies (Dystopian) | 1st Audience Favourite
2015 - Jovial Entertainment | Perp(Mistaken Identity) | 1st Audience Favourite
2013 - Jovial Entertainment | Barry (Crime) | 2nd Audience Favourite
2012 - Black Forest Breathes | One Last Shot (One Shot / End of the World)

BigRay
Since: Apr 2013

Christchurch On Air back for another year....(after much pontification - perhaps that could be a Genre??)

We should really get around to changing our name .... always end up in a heat with the CPITers...any changes to Heat Selection criteria perhaps this year, AJ?

Christchurch On Air
2019 Closure | Opposites Attract
2018 Altar | Anti-RomCom
2016 Yarn Bombers | Cat And Mouse
2015 Special Delivery | Science Gone Mad
2013 the choices | Race Against The Clock
2012 The Collectors | Crime

AJ

in reply to BigRay:

any changes to Heat Selection criteria perhaps this year, AJ?

Alphabetical baybeeeeeee!

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Bloydd

Maybe you’ll get lucky since it’s called Ara now isn’t it?

Richard Martin

2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite

Mista Teas

If you want to hear some 48HOURS chat & banter then have a listen to my radio show, Expanding Horizons, tomorrow between 3pm and 4pm.

We're interviewing Christchurch 48HRS veteran Julian Josland from team Mad Scientists.

Check out his films here!

How to listen:
In Canterbury: 96.9FM
Everywhere: Streaming LIVE on Plains FM from 3pm.
From Monday: Expanding Horizons pods
APP: AccessRadio app

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

toowit toowoo

Toowit Toowoo are back. We're on holiday overseas, so naturally doing Ultra Duo as an out of town team. Will be a bit of a weird vibe not going to launch/hand in, but we're hoping the extra time not stuck in a Dunedin traffic jam (AKA two red lights in a row) will be useful.

2019: Banana Split (Coming of Age) ULTRA DUO
2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

Zac Neill
Since: Sep 2017

in reply to Bloydd:

I can't imagine regretting not doing Ultra. If it’s a great idea, I can maybe use it as a jumping off point for a story, without risking disqualification

Each to their own, but the extra challenge is the part I like about ULTRA, no matter how limiting it can be.

Everyone keeps coming back to the competition for their own reasons; some want to hang out with their friends, some want to show off their craft and make genuinely sublime film in 48 hours and some, like me, enjoy the creativity aspect over all else.

I like ULTRA because it can be super limiting, but forces everyone involved to push their creative limits - in my mind ULTRA should try to stop veteran teams making 'safe' films. This is often to the detriment of the finished product, and may give those not doing ULTRA a significant advantage, but that's a trade off I'm ok with.

I can understand that those teams who want to flex their craft and make objectively good film that ULTRA in the past has been unnecessarily constricting and worsened the final product, which is where I think you are coming from, but I know that my team were an instant and unanimous yes to the extra challenge for the reasons above.

Oh and there should definitely be an ULTRA award for best use of ULTRA, not best film that happens to be an ULTRA.

Bloydd

in reply to Zac Neill:

The extra challenge is the part I like as well.

My issues with Ultra aren't with the idea itself, I think Kids/Animals was a great one, but I also think Sequel was awful.
As you say, everyone enters for different reasons, one of mine is I love going into it on a Friday knowing that on Monday I'm going to have this completely new thing that I currently know nothing about. Except in 2017 I was pretty sure it'd be sequel because I had been on the forums, and it also meant that my film that year had to be tethered to another one in some way. Then the comp's handling of it, especially in the first year didn't exactly fill me with hope going forward.

Last year was a definite improvement, and I think there are some steps being made in the right direction but I think I need to have a few years worth of Ultra being an objectively good addition to the comp before I'm gonna do it again. So far we're at one bad year & one "aw yeah" year for my money.

Richard Martin

Andrew Todd

I still say I would've been thrilled to make a sequel and I don't think many teams embraced it properly. Most teams slavishly adhered to their original films (so many unnecessary flashbacks!) and didn't seem to realise that a sequel could just be a new story featuring one of their old characters. Nor did many teams engage with the many fun tropes pertaining to sequels. So many ways to play it, so few actually seen in competition.

OTOH, I do say this coming from the perspective of having made a feature sequel to a movie that didn't exist, so...grain of salt.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Stuart Broughton

in reply to Andrew Todd:

I still say I would've been thrilled to make a sequel

Yep, really enjoyed making a sequel and thought it was an excellent idea. Our result was particularly notable for falling into all and every criticism you list, Andrew, but it was challenging, fun, and, as you say, thrilling, in ways that only those whose minds and bodies have been ravaged by 48Hours participation can understand...

--------------------
48 Hours 2018: Mentor (read: driver) for my daughter's team
48 Hours 2017: Margaret Candy's BBQ Tongs: Clock: The Second Hand ULTRA
48 Hours 2016: static.comb.hummingbird: Where Are They Now?
48 Hours 2015: Hummingbird: The Stamp
48 Hours 2014: Hummingbird: Furious Filmmaking
48 Hours 2013: Hummingbird: Clock
48 Hours 2012: the whole damn universe: Honeymoon
48 Hours 2011: The Brainy Corporation: Kinky, Minx, and Cowboys
48 Hours 2010: The Brainy Corporation: The House on Vengeance Street
48 Hours 2009: The Brainy Corporation: The Jingle: Late!
48 Hours 2008: Humans from Earth: Lifting the Cape
48 Hours 2007: Visualeyes: Mondo Christchurch Chch Runner Up: Chch Best Script

Section59

in reply to Bloydd:

Hey Bloydd.

We are back.

Because we've had a 4-year hiatus I think we are looking at this with new eyes - so expect something radically different from our prior efforts. Certainly not going huge this time round, keeping things toight.

We are definitely doing ULTRA (oh my God, this looks so much fun!)

How about an 'element' as an element? Gold, silver etc. Or the swirly thing on top of your stove. So much possibility...

We essentially stopped because of the move from 7 to 5 minutes. I think at the time we were afraid that it changed the nature of the comp too much. So this is the first year we would have done five minutes and I'm interested to see if it makes it too easy.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

toowit toowoo

I think about half of our sequel was flashbacks, so I feel called out by this thread! We actually had enough time to play the entire first film as a flashback, but I cut it down to 50/50 for the sake of sanity. I feel the extensive flashbacks were justified, as we'd just moved across the country and nobody at the screening would have seen the first film. Also, animation is time consuming, we really struggle to get close to that 5 minute limit (it's not a target), so a bit of extra footage is a huge bonus.

Animals/children was definitely creatively more interesting. Especially as we spent the previous week rigging adult characters! Dinosaur musical that spans millions of years would not have been our first choice without Ultra. It's always good to have constraints to help the creative process, I don't think we'll ever not do Ultra.

2019: Banana Split (Coming of Age) ULTRA DUO
2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

Section59

Well we did the Ultra and we wrapped at 4:30, so we headed down to Lyttelton to shoot some extra footage. Small team this year and I can't believe how easy this is when you have got an experienced team that trusts one-another. Big shout-outs to our cast and crew for 2019: Ro, Erin, Chris, JR, Jess and Julian. Of course, there is still editing to come, and split screen? that's really a ten-minute film lol.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

CraigWB

We wrapped our Ultra film a little over an hour and a half ago. I wasn't sure how well it would work out but if the first scene I cut together is anything to go by I'm really digging the results.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

dramamike

I hope they flex the rules. For me, Ultra is about stretching the experienced teams and not shafting them.
Curious question though: If you did DQ from Ultra, are you still in the main comp? I would hope that an Ultra DQ is not a full DQ.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal