VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Ant Timpson
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

THIS YEARS GRAND FINAL JUDGING

This years judging will be slightly different for the Grand Final. City Winners DO NOT automatically go into the Grand Final.

- HEATS (Audience Faves)
- CITY WINNERS (Best of Each City)
- A GRAND FINAL JUDGING POOL (City Winners and selection of The Best of the Rest)
- GRAND FINAL (Best of the Pool + Wildcards)

As new regions join the comp and have a small amount of teams, it's becoming obvious that it is unfair for their city winners to automatically go into the Grand Final. We want the Grand Final to be the best representation of the competition and this is the way forward.

V48 did not receive NZONAIR funding for the series and GF for TV which means the TV series will be a Best of Compile show on U. So this years Grand Final this year will be a fun live event at the Civic in Auckland (Sat July 2nd). We expect to live stream this event like a Charlie Sheen nightmare for all in NZ to see. We hope to break the record for the biggest live webcast in NZ.

Everyone is invited to come along to that and have a great night.

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

Thairocksuperstar
Since: Apr 2011

This sucks,
Feel for you Ant.

How about , Live Civic Final - recorded and released later online ala Apple keynote event. (on 48hrs site via vimeo or youtube etc)

Combine this with live tweeting at the event itself (yes, I know I got slated for suggesting this last year - and ,no , i'm not suggesting people have to tweet while movies are actually screening,) - Tweeting will possibly happen anyway?

Ant , if he wanted to, could record an intro to that online video also.

I'm sure, if there was an official Grand Finals type video (like last years C4 show but just not broadcast on tv) made available soon after - and I can only speak for Wanaka area here, but , Paradiso cinema would happily screen it and likely fill the room. Would other cinemas around the country also be keen to do that?
(I'm aware that funding a non broadcast "show" might be outside the affordability too though.)

Just trying to throw up some suggestions off the top of my head.

Thanks

2013 | Shooting And Cutting - Obsessive Relationship - "Oranges" (Writer/Shooter/Director/Actor/1 man team)
2012 | Sitting out this year. Producing a human kid instead.
2011 | Translucent Flexible Ducting - Musical/Dance - "The Row" (Writer/Lyricist/Director)
2010 | Squashed Pineapple Lump - Sex Ed Film - "Dig Deep,Dick" - DUNEDIN City Finalist- (Writer)
2009 | Wanaka Film Trust | - Horror - "Pick Up" - DUNEDIN City Finalist- (Writer/Actor/Director)
2008 | SuperNatural Productions - Buddy Film - "Silent Echo" (Co-Direct/Write/Shoot/Edit etc)

Manta

in reply to Ant Timpson:

This is awesome, awesome news... I'm referring to the original post... I'm a little slow. LOL

Team Just 2 Guys... only I'm just one guy... one fat guy... so I guess I am two guys?

Ant Timpson

Well I have been inspired to try and do something more with the Grand Final. I have on an old friend who is a pretty smart dude with some kickass equipment. Stay tuned we may just have solved the issue of the Grand Final.

Ant Timpson

Great phone call.
Houston we don't have a problem!

Get ready for some live streaming Grand Final action for all.

Cardinal

I'm pretty much in favour of this. One question though - it seems from what I'm reading here that we have our individual city judging panels deciding our city competitions, (as usual) and our international grand final judges ranking the finalists and deciding the actual winners for us (as usual) - but who are the judges deciding which 10 (12? 15?) of the "Grand Final Judging Pool" makes it into the final to go before the international judges? A composite panel of judges from around the regions? Or will the final judges be selecting the finalists and grand winners amongst them both?

Ant Timpson

It will be a Grand Final pool of more than that 10. It will be closer to 20. (dependent on a few factors.. # of teams etc)
And it will be selected by independent regional and some offshore.
As non-bias as we can make it.

Cardinal

Good. Goooooooood.

CrazyEyez

in reply to Shifty:

While is disagree that the competition should be fully broken up into amatuer and pro, I've always believed that there should be a prize for best amatuer team. Not just best new team, but a prize for a team full of people (cast and crew) who have absolutely no industry experience or training.
Just an idea :)

Section59

Please consider carefully before dividing between amateur and professionals. There have been plenty of instances where non-pros have won (well, in my mind there has been).

The fact that we are going up against professionals makes me want to lift my game, and energises me to do my best. It's not that I want to beat them - it's that I want my films to be as good as theirs', if not better.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't win the competition by shooting it on a shitty little home cam, with your mum's aunty and the next door neighbour's dog in your back yard!

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

DonnieDarko

in reply to Ant Timpson:

Hey Ant, just a thought...yes, surprisingly I do have them sometimes ;)
What if you asked everyone for a gold coin donation at the heats. I'd have no problem throwing some change into a bucket. It'll stop me from eating that plate of chips up at Denny's afterwards and my thighs will be very thankful. I may be wrong but I think most people will be OK with it. Seeing your work on a big screen's a buzz and believe me, I used to pay a hell of a lot more for a buzz than a few bucks. Don't make it mandatory...just something people can do to help out. You might be surprised. Cheers....see you at the finals.

2011 - "Gooseville" - Crime
2010 - "The Separation of Sidney Manson"
Auckland Finalist - 2 nominations - Won Best Art Direction.
2009 - "How to make friends without actually meeting people"
6 nominations - National Winner - "sexiest looking short"
2007 - "The History of the Apee"
After Effects Animation - Commissioned by Ant for screening at the Auckland Finals.

Andrew Todd

in reply to Section59:

The fact that we are going up against professionals makes me want to lift my game, and energises me to do my best.

QFT.

And the same goes for removing automatic regional representation in the national finals.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2020 Lockdown - "The Quiet Moon" - Science Fiction
2019 - "Schism" - Science Fiction (National finalist; Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography; Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019, Chattanooga Film Fest 2020)
2018 - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist; Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation; Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "√úbermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Mononoki
Since: May 2011

in reply to Ant Timpson:

Hey which films will Peter Jackson choose his wild cards from exactly???

Does he watch the majority of the films or does he just choose wildcards from the already selected finalist??

Thanks, would be interesting to know...

Pete Holmes
Since: Jul 2011

Whether you are for or against Amateur vs Professional split, I think it would be diffiucult to define. How would you define people like myself who work for a TV company, but not in the role that I take in 48 hours. What about students on film courses who have access to professional equipment? Or teams that have 5 amateurs but managed to draft in a professional actor.

What I would like to see if possible is more promotion of the under 18 category. These are the future of NZ film making and need to be encouraged and nutured as much as possible. How about a decent prize at the grand final for best damn Teen movie? Why give a camera to a team for best cinematography when they probably already have a good camera, when it could be given to the school of the best team film to encourage even better stuff from the following year.

themorgan

Never mind that a split is probably impossible (where do you draw the line? a pro camerman? someone who has acted on Shortland St?), I think this year's winner tells us there's no need for a split.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

c0ina

pretty sure this years winners work in the industry?

not that that means anything at all, just saying - i'm not sure that this year's winner tells us anything at all re: a split.

bexxgirl

I asked this in another thread but it's probably more appropriate to this one:

Does anyone know if the judges viewed all the films that were nominated for prizes in various categories, or did they only see the 20 films out of which the Grand Final films were chosen?

For example were the awards like best Teen Team decided by the Grand Final judging panel? Because if so, they would surely have had to view a lot more than 20 odd films...

2014 - Scone Shot "This Little Piggy Went to Market"
2013 - Crepe Shoot "Prime's Numbers"
2012 - Crepe Shoot "Nick of Time" (Wellington Finalist, nominated for best editing)
2011 - Pancake Pictures "Sammy" (Wellington Finalist and Best Actress)
2010 - Pancake Pictures "Fleet Street" (nominated for Best Use of Line and Best Actress)
2008 - Pancake Pictures "Resignation" (Wellington Finalist - 3rd place Wellington Region, Best Actress, Best Use of Character)
2006 - Pancake Pictures "Forbidden Fruit" (Wellington Finalist)
2005 - Pancake Pictures "Quench"

themorgan

in reply to c0ina:

All I mean is that they didn't do anything in terms of production that you couldn't do with any camera, any gear. They won because their actors gave a warm performance. No flash cameras or rigs, no grip truck, or any of that other shit, no editing trickery that requires years of experience. Just honest creativity and keenness.

I can't tell if any of the team are really pros, Tom Furniss & Tim Batt are stand-up comedians, I don't know about Cam Neate. I guess it depends on how you define pro?

Creativity is not the sole purview of the "pro" teams. And that's what won them the golden apee.

That's all I mean.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

toowit toowoo

in reply to bexxgirl:

The category award nominees were simply the winners of that award from each city/region.

2020: Taste The Happy (Whodunnit) LOCKDOWN SOLO
2020: Seven Eight Nine (Whodunnit) LOCKDOWN SOLO
2019: Banana Split (Coming of Age) ULTRA DUO
2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

bexxgirl

in reply to toowit toowoo:

Ah, so unlike with the films, these awards weren't re-judged... Did that then mean it was a foregone conclusion that only the acting nominees whose films were in the finals were actually ever eligible to win those awards?

2014 - Scone Shot "This Little Piggy Went to Market"
2013 - Crepe Shoot "Prime's Numbers"
2012 - Crepe Shoot "Nick of Time" (Wellington Finalist, nominated for best editing)
2011 - Pancake Pictures "Sammy" (Wellington Finalist and Best Actress)
2010 - Pancake Pictures "Fleet Street" (nominated for Best Use of Line and Best Actress)
2008 - Pancake Pictures "Resignation" (Wellington Finalist - 3rd place Wellington Region, Best Actress, Best Use of Character)
2006 - Pancake Pictures "Forbidden Fruit" (Wellington Finalist)
2005 - Pancake Pictures "Quench"

Dean

in reply to bexxgirl:

Did that then mean it was a foregone conclusion that only the acting nominees whose films were in the finals were actually ever eligible to win those awards?

I don't think that's a foregone conclusion at all. Who said they weren't re-judged? The nominees would all be compared with each other, without a doubt.

The regional acting winners are the only ones eligible to win the national prize and would be judged against each other - having a film in the final could be for heaps of reasons other than the acting. By the same token, a film can have really good acting and not progress to the national final.

TRACES OF NUT ft. EPC
2011: Ruby Red - Wgtn Finalist, National Winner: Best Make-up, Best Costume
Longdrummer - Wgtn Finalist, Best Use of Character, Aud Fav for heat
Free Range - Wgtn Finalist (3rd), Best Costumes, Best Actor, Aud Fav for heat
Half a Horse - Winner: Best Disqualified Short '08
First Death II - Wgtn Finalist, Aud Fav for heat
Monster - Wgtn Finalist, Aud Fav for heat
Ananab - Wgtn Finalist, Best Actor, Aud Fav for heat
The Flatmate Tree - Wgtn Finalist, Best Use of Prop, Aud Fav for heat