VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Peter Haynes
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

The 48 Hours Old Boys Club

...doesn't exist. However much some people might wish it to, to pander to their own insecurities and wacko conspiracy theories because their film didn't get whatever accolades they think it might deserve.

What does exist is a loose collection of 48 hours veterans who have gotten good at making films by...guess what? Making lots of films. And these veterans, every year without fail, have to endure accusations of favoritism, showing off their resources and this year flat out cheating, apparently in cahoots with the organizers. All of this is insanely ridiculous.

Speaking as a veteran, the only reason I come back is because I like to make films, and I enjoy being involved in the contest. I also enjoy seeing what all the other regulars come up with every year. And I recognize that the odds of my winning decrease every year as the competition grows larger. But thats ok, because the fun of the competition makes up for it.

And every year, there is the possibility that some team is going to come out of nowhere with a film that blows everyone else out of the water. It's happened before, it'll happen again. It doesn't matter how many years they've been doing it, it doesn't matter who they know, all that matters is that they make a good film.

When you see a film that does better than yours (Which happens to me every year), there are two ways to react. You can a) whine, bitch and moan about how they had better gear and more experience, blah blah blah, or you can b) Suck it up, move on and improve. Make more films. Don't wait for next year, make a film a month. Its never been easier to do. Do what Halcyon did, come back and become a regular and hang out until you've been around long enough for people to start bitching about 'you'. 'Learn' from the regulars, who are almost uniformly helpful and willing to pass on knowledge to newbie teams.

Or leave. You won't be missed.

Team Haynesfilm/Ow - Affluent Syndicate
48 Hours Old Boys Club - Lifetime Member
Forum Winner: Best Snapping Dog award, 2012

48hrs 2003 - 'Rockqueste' (Fantasy)
48hrs 2004 - 'Flashman' (Musical)
48hrs 2005 - 'Jungle Fever' (Action) Audience fave, Regional finals, Peter Jackson Wildcard
Moonlight shorts 2006 - 'Two Worlds' (Finalist)
48hrs 2006 - 'Phairytale' (Fairytale) Audience fave, Regional finals, Best Actress
48hrs 2007 - 'Cowboys and Indians' (Western) Audience fave
48hrs 2008 - 'Three's a Crowd' (Romance)
48hrs 2009 - 'The Loneliest Vampire' (Musical) Audience fave, Regional Finals, Best score
48hrs 2010 - 'Two Timer' (Time Travel) Audience fave, Regional Finals
48scs 2011 - 'The Human Centi-V'
48hrs 2011 - 'Stuck in the Mini with you' (National Winner: Best Road Movie)
ABC's of Death - 'T is for Talk' - 2nd Place internationally
48hrs 2012 - 'Blackout' (Found Footage) Regional Finals
MMHM 2013 - 'Penance' - Final 6
48hrs 2014 - 'Flicker' (Time Travel) Audience fave, Regional Finals, Peter Jackson Wildcard, National Finals
48hrs 2015 - 'Katy Harrison: Grooming a Superstar' (Rockumentary) Audience fave, Regional Finals, National Finals
48hrs 2016 - 'Mahnamana' (Puppet Movie) Audience fave

New Zealand's most epic webseries
http://www.afkwebseries.com

Pastor Thug
Since: May 2011

in reply to DylanReeve:

Damn, you had everything going for you, but were let down at the last spec by only a 1080p resolution.
I bet you get the chicks with that camera though... Chicks love a 35mm sensor.

2011 The Audition - dance/musical - Blue Suit Productions

themorgan
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Pastor Thug:

Luckily for him his wife doesn't give a shit about the size of his "sensor".

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral