VF48Hours Forum

MR
Since: May 2012

Feed for this Topic

Saturday Night Blues?

I've entered the competition four times now, and around about the time we finish shooting (or sometimes before) on Saturday I always get this sinking feeling that I've made something terrible, or that it isn't going to come together (until this year they hadn't come together either). Anyone else get this feeling on Saturday?

Forget about the Last One (Wellington)
2015 - Crossroads - The Other Dimension Movie

Annoyed Grunt (Wellington)
2014 - A Little Bit of Pluck - Against the Odds
2013 - Parasite - Robot/Cybord/Android movie
2012 - Sunday in the Park with Mary - Musical/Dance

Twins and Bullies (Christchurch)
2011 - Tip of the Iceberg - Body-switch movie
2010 - Sidney Manson saved my life - Biopic
2009 - Men of the Millenia - Politically incorrect (regional Best Bad film winner)

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Yip. Always feel we are getting nowhere (& have no idea what we are doing) until we start editing Saturday night and actually see it come together! I have experienced all sorts of "doubt panic" during this amazing competition. But it all seems to turn out OK as long as we aren't late!

Having seen your CHCH films over the years, I'm looking to seeing your musical! Good luck!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

sideshowstu

I got this feeling on Saturday morning when I woke up worried about the script we wrote. Then again on Sarurday night when we wrapped and halfway through the edit. I think it's natural to doubt yourself. I also think my film is shit. I'll seek the opinions of others as it's really hard to have any perspective on these things.

Stuart Rogers
Director/Producer
Team Super-Best-Friends
Queenstown

c0ina

yeah, i always feel a bit anxious and have moments of second guessing what we're doing around that time.

i just tell myself that it's just sleep deprivation kicking in and "who cares anyway?". by that stage it's kind of past a point of no return and as long as i'm lol-ing hard with my friends then that's all that matters :)

MR

in reply to Mista Teas:

Having seen your CHCH films over the years, I'm looking to seeing your musical! Good luck!

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised Mista Teas, We think it is light-years ahead of our embarrassing CHCH entries.

2009 - Men of the Millenia - Politically incorrect (regional Best Bad film winner)

Mista Teas

in reply to MR:

We think it is light-years ahead of our embarrassing CHCH entries

Sounds good! - "Men of the Millenia" is a film I'll always remember fondly though!

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

DylanReeve

I get this. Usually when we're still shooing at about 9pm on Saturday and have what seems like more than half the shoot still to go I start to wonder if we're ever going to get it shot, and if we should just give up.

Then we power through that, shoot it all and feel much better in editing the next day.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

ligeia
Since: May 2011

We always feel that very same sinking feeling, this year the Director decided on Sunday to re-write the script... PRODUCER SAID NO! at the end of the weekend i'm just happy to hand something in on time, nothing is worse than being late. Maybe being stabbed is worse?

2015 - Bureaucracy is the epoxy that greases the wheels of progress Horror LIMP & REDUNDANT PRODUCTIONS
2014 - I'd prefer to forget this film
2013 - This is a Fork Musical TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2012 - Shenanigan six Crime TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2011 - Payback SuperHero TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2010 - Time Wasters Time Travel TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2009 - PostHumours Politically Incorrect TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2008 - Love over Risotto Romance LAUGHING GRAVY
2007 -Back to the Front War TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN (Audience Choice & Best use of line)
2006 -Stained by me Coming of Age THE DREAM COLLECTIVE (Late)

Steve Austin

in reply to MR:

I'm very pleased to hear that you lads are stepping it up this year, but "Men of the Millenia" will always hold a special place in my heart. =)

2017 - "Gym Buddy" - Buddy Movie - 6 Million Bucks - Team Leader/Executive Producer
2016 - "Jour du Biscuit" - Comedy of Errors - 6 Million Bucks - Team Leader/Director/The Police Detective
2015 - "The Breadmaker" - Last Person On Earth - Ask Me Tomorrow - Doctor Harper Harrison Senior/Stylin Beta
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" - Action/Advanture - TBALC - Carruthers/The Sandman
2012 - "Surcease" - Inspirational - Hybrid Motion Pictures - Production Co-ordinator
2011 - "Roundelay" - Mystery - Hybrid Motion Pictures - Producer, Co-Writer
2005-2010 - OPERATIONS MANAGER (2009/10) & THAT THERE CHRISTCHURCH CITY MANAGER GUY (2005-2010)
2004 - Buddy Movie - (Tape destroyed/files lost)

Nick Burridge

Happens every year... staring early Saturday morning ("oh god our script sucks" panic), continuing through the day ("ahhh we're making shit" freakout) then into the edit/Sunday ("gah everything is going wrong" frustration). Pings back and forth between that and something resembling confidence. Has resulted in a few Saturday morning frantic completely new scripts though.

I liken 48 hours to giving birth*... whilst doing it the pain is tremendous and you wonder why the hell you're doing it in the first place...then afterward the endorphins kick in and you forget the pain/want to do it all over again.

*not based on personal birthing experiences due to being male

Mista Teas

in reply to Nick Burridge:

I liken 48 hours to giving birth*... whilst doing it the pain is tremendous and you wonder why the hell you're doing it in the first place...then afterward the endorphins kick in and you forget the pain/want to do it all over again.

Oh. So. True. (also never given birth but have been a spectator)

Peter Haynes

I TOTALLY get that. At around 11pm Saturday, doing a rough assemble, I looked at what we had and thought 'ahhhh, it's just a bunch of random crap!'.

But then, with some gentle coaxing, it always seems to come together.

And agreed, 48 hours is like having a baby...it's a sudden onset of a long, protracted labour and your'e not sure if the final product will be a beautiful thing or some hideous mutant you want to chain up in the basement.

Team Haynesfilm/Ow - Affluent Syndicate
48 Hours Old Boys Club - Lifetime Member
Forum Winner: Best Snapping Dog award, 2012

48hrs 2003 - 'Rockqueste' (Fantasy)
48hrs 2004 - 'Flashman' (Musical)
48hrs 2005 - 'Jungle Fever' (Action) Audience fave, Regional finals, Peter Jackson Wildcard
Moonlight shorts 2006 - 'Two Worlds' (Finalist)
48hrs 2006 - 'Phairytale' (Fairytale) Audience fave, Regional finals, Best Actress
48hrs 2007 - 'Cowboys and Indians' (Western) Audience fave
48hrs 2008 - 'Three's a Crowd' (Romance)
48hrs 2009 - 'The Loneliest Vampire' (Musical) Audience fave, Regional Finals, Best score
48hrs 2010 - 'Two Timer' (Time Travel) Audience fave, Regional Finals
48scs 2011 - 'The Human Centi-V'
48hrs 2011 - 'Stuck in the Mini with you' (National Winner: Best Road Movie)
ABC's of Death - 'T is for Talk' - 2nd Place internationally
48hrs 2012 - 'Blackout' (Found Footage) Regional Finals
MMHM 2013 - 'Penance' - Final 6
48hrs 2014 - 'Flicker' (Time Travel) Audience fave, Regional Finals, Peter Jackson Wildcard, National Finals
48hrs 2015 - 'Katy Harrison: Grooming a Superstar' (Rockumentary) Audience fave, Regional Finals, National Finals
48hrs 2016 - 'Mahnamana' (Puppet Movie) Audience fave

New Zealand's most epic webseries
http://www.afkwebseries.com

ryan

I always irrationally think we're making a good movie until its actually finished and then I think oh crap.

Was RyanM on the old forum.

debzk

I usually love the script, panic at the shoot, love the first look at the footage, panic at the shots we don't have, high five numerous times during the edit when things flow together and panic numerous time when things don't....

Just LOVE the whole process and my awesome crew....very happy to have a movie on time this year after missing out the last two...

Oh and giving birth...................YOU HAVE NO &*%$$#@# IDEA!!!!!!

Craig Parkes
Since: Mar 2011

I often get that, not so much this year, as I was on camera as much as I was behind it (a lot on both counts for one person) so didn't really have time to worry if what we were making was rubbish, and as we finished shooting at 1am on Sunday morning I had to head into the office to do post, start editing (until 5am when I had a rough cut) go home, sleep til about 9.30am, get into the edit suite again by about 10.15am and export at 6.20pm or so....

Only niggling feeling was probably about 4.45pm Saturday as light was fading and we had only shot the first two scenes (we had musical) and I was genuinely concerned we wouldn't be able to work out a way to get the exterior stuff we needed at night. Fortunately we had hired some LED light panels and had an LED top mount light for stuff further away from power that did the trick enough to get something workable on tape.

What I do tend to do though, is think that other teams are going to deliver something amazeballs that makes my efforts look like crap, even though I know most teams are facing a much more difficult time than our team does (Having an awesome team that is in it for the fun of it around you the whole time generally means that anything we put together was fun for us, if an audience enjoys it, then thats just a bonus.)

MR

in reply to Craig Parkes:

What was your process for composing and recording the music? I co-directed and wrote music and lyrics, and to get filming at an early time (about 11am) we recorded the actors against very crappy piano reductions with melody on separate instruments for them to sing along with. I then orchestrated the music for large synth orchestra a lot later on.

dmanthei
Since: May 2011

Last year was wayyyy worse than this year for this, for us.
Last year we started off on the wrong foot, bit off too much,
and then were playing catch-up the whole time.

This year there were a few moments when I was super frustrated
and wanted to lash out, but that was more due to equipment being cantankerous
than other factors.

I think the biggest thing that I never expect
is just how physically intense the event is.
I always feel super messed up somewhere around the middle.
Last year I was so anxious and jacked up that I couldn't eat,
as even the thought of food made me nauseous.

But I guess like all great competitions/feats/challenges,
the end is made all the more sweet by just how ridiculous the gauntlet is.

2014 - Robocrop - "Pads of Passion" RomCom (Best Original Score - Christchurch)
2013 - Robocrop - "The Price of Pilsner" Horror
2012 - Robocrop - "Promises" Crime - DQed (Nominated Best DQed Film)
2011 - Robocrop - "Protocol" One Room (Crime) - LATE

debzk

I think its like an Ironman for filmmakers.......you challenge your skills and training to the max and push through some personal demons on the way,
ending up happy to get to the finish line. And just like an Iron man your equipment can *&^* you up on race day...

Craig Parkes
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to MR:

What was your process for composing and recording the music? I co-directed and wrote music and lyrics, and to get filming at an early time (about 11am) we recorded the actors against very crappy piano reductions with melody on separate instruments for them to sing along with. I then orchestrated the music for large synth orchestra a lot later on.

Organizationally we wrote lyrics and created rough accompaniments using guitars and keyboard on the friday night, and the musicians kinda took things in shifts to record tracks from about 7am Saturday. We had a couple of non musical shots we could get while initial tracks and music was being recorded, but didn't get to main production with music until after 2pm which meant we we had to shoot til nearly 1am sunday morning and had to struggle against low light conditions for some exterior shooting (worked ok for our plot luckily). Our muso's delivered great catchy tracks that weren't overly polished, but it doesn't matter too much about polish when your lyrics are going for big laughs, as the crowd will hopefully drown out any mistakes wi their laughter.

All in all I didn't really plan any of it, we just wrote songs, recorded songs, and then shot lip synced action as fast as we could to get what we needed. It led to some waiting around time here and there, but nothing that was grossly detrimental to the film, as production values weren't trying to exceed what our team was capable of within 48 Hours.