VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Nick Burridge
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

REVIEWS DATABASE 2015 is live - please review the films in your heat!

Hey everyone,

The 48Hours Reviews Database is back for 2015 at the same place as always -
http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/

Don't forget to review the films in your heat, as constructive feedback from your peers is one of the great things about this competition. Be honest, but be civil.

We have a new feature this year - teams can add a comment to their own film on the database using the password that was issued to them for the online wrap-up form. Use it to share a bit more information about your film, plead or make excuses for terrible sound, write a haiku, whatever... but now there's no excuse - don't add reviews to your own film. It's really obvious when it happens and doesn't help your film in any way, as the reviews database is not part of the judging process.

We've also switched to a 7-star rating system for reasons. Average ratings on films are still calculated using 5 stars.

To any returning or new regular multi-heat reviewers, thank you - you bring a whole other level of quality and professionalism to this platform. Anything I can do to make your lives easier, let me know.

squire
Since: May 2013

Mr Burridge,

I think you are escaping single quotes in team names wrong.

E.g.
http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2015/christchurch/3/the-gentlemens-agreement

If you then click on their team name, it doesn't have the right URL. (Looks like it is double-escaping).

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines

Barnaby

Just wanted to say another big thank you to Nick Burridge, the creator of this awesome review system. The addition of a subscribe feature is really a killer feature - no more constant checking the page in the hope of new reviews, and you never miss one either! There was a very late one posted yesterday on our film and it was delivered straight to my inbox!

Thanks for building this, it helps maintain some of the community feeling we all know and love.

Chess Club
2019: Hart & Soul (Buddy)

Newsboy
Since: May 2011

If only more people in our heat were writing reviews :(

2007: Solitaire
2008: F*Dance (National winner)
2009: Mime and Punishment
2010: Art
2011: Nubbin' But Trouble
2012: FETUS 5000
2013: Fist Cop
2014: Man Day
2015: Beyond the Fridge
2016: DICKS
2017: Cameo'd in 11 films.
2019: The Big Number.

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

Nick Burridge

in reply to squire:

I think you are escaping single quotes in team names wrong.

E.g.
http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2015/christchurch/3/the-gentlemens-agreement

If you then click on their team name, it doesn't have the right URL. (Looks like it is double-escaping).

Yeah, there is some trouble with the escaping of special characters currently - will look into it when I get the time!

Is it possible to get two separate rating systems for each film? One for story and one for technical elements?

I'm not sure about this, as a rating for technical elements isn't really objective and should stay fairly consistent across a set of reviews for film. Whereas what's more interesting - at least I think - is a viewer's overall impressions of a film. Bad technical execution may contribute overall to the charm of a film - does it get low points or high points in the tech category? Basically, I don't think we're really viewing discreet blocks of tech, stories in isolation, etc - we're watching films.

Cheers guys, I'm just glad everyone finds this a useful resource! It does seem like we have a fair few less reviews/reviewers than in previous years - I know we've lost some of our regulars to the inexorable grinds of life, but maybe next year a sponsored best reviewer award (regionally/nationally) like we've had in the past might help drum up feedback again? Not that this is happening, but just thinking what to push for to make this bigger and better!

Mista Teas

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Once films are in the screening room I'll be back in business this year!

The review site is awesome and a great part of the 48HR experience. Unfortunately still some teams "reviewing" their own films...nothing to gain from it though.

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

tank_ass69
Since: Jun 2011

Disappointing lack of reviewers for our heat, but that's cool. Just wanted to commend you on the site, it's brilliant, and relatively mobile friendly which is awesome!

And yes, the subscribe feature is amazing.

2015 - Producer, Adam Simpson Memorial Team, Sliced (Wellington finalist)
2014 - Producer, writer, Crepe Shoot, "Can't remember the name but it wasn't very good"
2013 - Producer, writer, Crepe Shoot, "Prime's Numbers"
2012 - Producer, writer, reluctant actor, Crepe Shoot "Nick of Time" (Wellington finalist)
2011 - Writer, Pancake Pictures "Sammy" (Wellington Finalist)
2008 - Writer, Pancake Pictures "Resignation" (Wellington Finalist - 3rd place Wellington Region, Best Actress, Best Use of Character, Nominated best script)

daronjay
Since: May 2015

Looks like some films are getting lots of fake reviews, there's a classic case in Gisborne, lots of 7 star ratings with 1 or 2 word reviews presumably just to game the system.

http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2015/gisborne/1/team-jethro1987

Does the review site use ip address detection or cookie setting to reduce duplicate reviews by the same user, or is this just a bunch of different people spamming the site?

Pretty disappointing, because it reflects poorly on the film makers EVEN if they weren't responsible. Maybe they just have a lot of keen but illiterate fans ;-)

Twerkers Collective
2015 Mr Nibbles | Cat & Mouse - Audience Award Winner | reviews

Screening room link
Review it here

Nick Burridge

in reply to daronjay:

Looks like some films are getting lots of fake reviews, there's a classic case in Gisborne, lots of 7 star ratings with 1 or 2 word reviews presumably just to game the system.

We do have IP tracking, although it doesn't auto-block duplicates as there are some use cases where different users could genuinely have the same IP (school computers, family connection, lazy ISP, etc) but it gives me a tool to backcheck if there is a user(s) acting suspiciously.

In the case of that film I spotted that the other day - one user had set up 30 (30!) accounts to upvote themselves with. So I banned the IP and quietly excluded their film from the leaderboard - they can use a different computer and keep upvoting if they like, it'll just be an echo chamber for them alone.

I have some other ideas for dealing with trolls in the future, I'm just not sure how mean I want to get... but teams/people like that do really irritate me. We'll see.

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Nick Burridge:

I have some other ideas for dealing with trolls in the future, I'm just not sure how mean I want to get... but teams/people like that do really irritate me. We'll see.

If dodgy upvoting behaviour casts the beneficiary team in a bad light reputation-wise by the 48hours community, then my hope would be that in most cases teams would self-regulate their members (especially if there is a possibility that such activity might exclude them from the leaderboard).

Of course, a more nuanced troll might deliberately pour multiple upvoting one-line reviews upon a rivals' film, to bring them into disrepute... I hope I haven't given anyone any ideas...

SABINA COLADA
2020: "Basket Case" (Whodunnit)

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019: "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018: "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017: "Down 2 The Wire" (Thriller, ULTRA: Sequel)
2016: "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel), "Windows" (Mystery)
2015: "The Silent Man" (Mystery)
2014: "The Ex" (Rom Com)
2013: "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure)
2012: "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot)
2011: "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2010: "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2009: "New Fish" (Musical)
2008: "Übermensch" (Horror)
2007: "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

daronjay

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

They are more likely to down vote the opposition I guess, that's the best way to quash them on the leaderboard (as if it actually matters!).

Can't say I've seen that done in an obviously deliberate way. Some of my teams best reviews came from fellow heat members, which is as it should be.

Twerkers Collective

Screening room link
Review it here

steelpotato

Wish I could have gone along than more than 3 heats guys. But that was all that I could get to given I've got a 9 month old baby. Sorry if I missed reviewing anyone's film; happy to do so when the screening room is up! :)

themorgan

in reply to steelpotato:

I took my 10 month old to my screening. It was mainly pretty OK, I reckon. There was another much smaller infant in our heat as well. I say we need more babies in the 48hours. Make it seem completely normal. :)

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Searlo

in reply to themorgan:

Train them young.

Train them well.

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

Section59

Considering how few people seem to have reviewed and voted in our heat (I duly reviewed EVERY SINGLE MOVIE thank you very much) I have to ask if there is any point doing the reviews at all. It is excellent to get the feedback, don't get me wrong. The ultimate 'leaderboard' is the finals and so it is the judges who's reviews I want to see most!

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

daronjay

in reply to Section59:

I agree we could do with more reviews. I think someone from every team should be required to review all the others in their heat. Reviewers from teams could use the password to identify themselves as a team member.

Then you set up the system so the teams own review score wasn't visible until they had reviewed ALL the other movies in their heat.

I reckon that would boost the review numbers very nicely ;-)

Twerkers Collective

Screening room link
Review it here

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to daronjay:

Then you set up the system so the teams own review score wasn't visible until they had reviewed ALL the other movies in their heat.

To be honest, I'm not really clear why there's a leaderboard at all on the Reviews site, since it's all fairly arbitrary. I'm working through reviewing the films in my team's heat, and the star rating I give each team is a always tough call, and somewhat inconsistent, but frankly it doesn't mean that much - the real substance of a review is the review itself, the words, not the star-rating. And a review isn't there to boost a team's score, it's to give the team valuable feedback.

At least, that's the way I've always seen it. Do others genuinely view the reviews in a competitive light?

SABINA COLADA

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

TheNimbleMarmoset

Actually Nick, thinking about this some more, what do you reckon about the site offering potential reviewers two options when they click on the "add a review" button: 1) free-text review, i.e. exactly what we have currently, so no change there, and 2) a more guided, form-based review template?

I do wonder if part of the hesitation to write reviews is that many people view it as like essay writing or something, where you have to have lots of well-articulated ideas and good structure and all that stuff (which naturally would make people self-conscious). This second option would be tailored to be as welcoming and simple as possible, something like six category boxes that they are invited to "write a few words" in, maybe: story, performances, the look of the film (i.e. cinematography), sound/music, use of the required elements, and then a final any other comments field. And that would then convert into a review with headings tidily formatted for each section, and any blank fields would simply be omitted. What do you think?

SABINA COLADA

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Mista Teas

in reply to daronjay:

I think someone from every team should be required to review all the others in their heat.

I don't think reviewing should ever be something that is a requirement of teams. I believe you'd find a lot of very superficial reviewing then - a lot of one line, "good"; "bad" reviews, just to get it done.

Don't forget too, that once the Screening Room swings into action that opens the door for a lot more reviewing and reviewing that is easier to do. Provided teams upload their films. This is something that should be compulsory! You'd get around 60% of films making it to the Screening Room.

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Mista Teas

To be honest, I'm not really clear why there's a leaderboard at all on the Reviews site, since it's all fairly arbitrary.

Yeah, it's not really something to be taken seriously - however, channeling my competitive side, it does feel good to be on it!

Unfortunately, it also does encourage teams to 7-star their own films to boost them up the table.

- the real substance of a review is the review itself, the words, not the star-rating. And a review isn't there to boost a team's score, it's to give the team valuable feedback.

Yep, you've nailed it.

daronjay

Oh I like the leaderboard, arbitrary though it is, but then again, my team is on it ;-)

Another way that reviews could be enhanced would be to have multiple categories to rate by - script, cinematography, sound, acting, faithfulness to genre, whatever. No more that 5 or 6 items perhaps.

Final overall score could be calculated from that.

It would make people think more about what they did and didn't like about a film, and even having those categories visible would give them things to think about to say in their comment.

Plus I reckon there could be a screenshot from each film on the review page, make it a damn sight easier to remember which film was which!

Sounds like lot of work for Nick though.

I know, if my team make it into the city finals, I'll give nick a hand with the site dev work next year. No pressure Nick, just put in a word with the judges ;-)

Twerkers Collective

Screening room link
Review it here