VF48Hours Forum

Nick Burridge
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

REVIEWS DATABASE 2015 is live - please review the films in your heat!

Hey everyone,

The 48Hours Reviews Database is back for 2015 at the same place as always -
http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/

Don't forget to review the films in your heat, as constructive feedback from your peers is one of the great things about this competition. Be honest, but be civil.

We have a new feature this year - teams can add a comment to their own film on the database using the password that was issued to them for the online wrap-up form. Use it to share a bit more information about your film, plead or make excuses for terrible sound, write a haiku, whatever... but now there's no excuse - don't add reviews to your own film. It's really obvious when it happens and doesn't help your film in any way, as the reviews database is not part of the judging process.

We've also switched to a 7-star rating system for reasons. Average ratings on films are still calculated using 5 stars.

To any returning or new regular multi-heat reviewers, thank you - you bring a whole other level of quality and professionalism to this platform. Anything I can do to make your lives easier, let me know.

dramamike

Thanks Nick, it looks great

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Brendon
Since: May 2011

Great improvements as always. The site gets better every year.

TBALC / Team Moon

Mista Teas

Awesome, Nick! Great work once more!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

DogsBreakfast

Brilliant Nick!

Love the team comment section. I've just put a very simple synopsis of our film in there, hopefully others do the same, cause when writing multiple reviews you run out of time to write it all down or have trouble remembering which story was which.

Always been I impressed with the review site, and especially the fact that you make adjustments on the fly

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Mista Teas

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

I've just put a very simple synopsis of our film in there, hopefully others do the same, cause when writing multiple reviews you run out of time to write it all down or have trouble remembering which story was which.

Incredibly helpful!

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Taunise

Awesome work one again Nick! Love the team comments section.

It's a pity I don't get to go to any heats and review this year, so sad! :(

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

Mista Teas

in reply to Taunise:

It's a pity I don't get to go to any heats and review this year, so sad! :(

Yeah, I can only do Thursday in CHCH, which is gutting. Tried to shake my responsibilities but just not going to happen!

caketaker

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

I've just put a very simple synopsis of our film in there, hopefully others do the same, cause when writing multiple reviews you run out of time to write it all down or have trouble remembering which story was which.

That's a great idea, will do the same too. How did you log in as your team? I can only find login fields for normal users.

PS, Nick, amazing work as always. Thanks so much for doing this! Am planning to go to multiple heats this year to get my review on!

Decile One
2019 - Past-It Notes - Time Travel - "Today is the first day of the past of your life" - [Wellington City Finalist]
2018 - Minor Transgressions - Fish-out-of-water Movie - "We're rich!!" - ULTRA
2017 - Discord II: Alienated - Alien Movie + Non-dialogue Movie + Redemption - "..." - ULTRA
2016 - Last August - Time Travel - "Are you sure you want to do this?"
2015 - Six Seconds of Fame - Muscial/Rockumenatry - "My garage is a palace / it locks you out"
2014 - False Profit - Musical - "No one wants to hear their future is shit"
2013 - Discord - Non-Dialogue - "..." - [Dunedin City Finalist + Best Sound Design + Best Actress]
2011 - U Creations - Body Switch - "But now, I can see the moles on my wife's face, instead of just tasting them!"
2011 - DejaV - [V48Seconds] - "A DejaV is a glitch in the Matrix." [People's Choice Award]
2010 - The Rook - Femme Fatale - "Trust? You just wanna fuck her!"

RRRFOFES! - NATIONAL BEST DAMN TEEN TEAM YEAH
2009 - d r i p - The M Night Shyamalan Big Twist Movie - "Ohh, the knives!" [Hamilton City Finalist + Best Sound Design]
2008 - The Chronicles of Jeff-Man - Superhero/Fairytale - "Never fear!!!"

Mista Teas

How did you log in as your team? I can only find login fields for normal users.

As I recall...once you've logged in yourself, go to your film's review page. There's a button "add team comment". A pop up box will appear. Put your team password in and you're done. Comment away...

Andrew Todd

We welcome as many reviewers to the CHCH heats as are keen to come, by the way.

Plenty of room.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography, official selection Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

steelpotato

Great work Nick! Gona try and get to some heats but we'll see :)

Barnaby

Hi Nick! You've got us (Chess Club) down as Other Dimension movie when we actually got Musical. Could you change this when you get the chance? Auckland Heat 5.

Thanks, you are a legend for making this awesome review system.

Chess Club
2019: Hart & Soul (Buddy)

Nick Burridge

in reply to Barnaby:

Hi Nick! You've got us (Chess Club) down as Other Dimension movie when we actually got Musical. Could you change this when you get the chance? Auckland Heat 5.

Fixed!

ligeia

Our Film is missing from Auckland Heat 10, could you please add us.
Limp and Redundant Productions
"Bureaucracy is the epoxy that greases the wheels of progress"
Horror

2015 - Bureaucracy is the epoxy that greases the wheels of progress Horror LIMP & REDUNDANT PRODUCTIONS
2014 - I'd prefer to forget this film
2013 - This is a Fork Musical TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2012 - Shenanigan six Crime TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2011 - Payback SuperHero TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2010 - Time Wasters Time Travel TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2009 - PostHumours Politically Incorrect TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN
2008 - Love over Risotto Romance LAUGHING GRAVY
2007 -Back to the Front War TSUKI THE STUNT CHICKEN (Audience Choice & Best use of line)
2006 -Stained by me Coming of Age THE DREAM COLLECTIVE (Late)

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

Hey Nick, I think this has been mentioned before, but just wondering how hard it would be to have the team name as a hyperlinked item. Cos it would be really nice to be able to go to a film from this year, then click on the team name to remind yourself what they did in previous years.

(I realise also that team names sometimes change from year to year, or the spelling might alter slightly, so perhaps the connections would need to be built manually on a case-by-case basis. But even having the option to do this would be very cool indeed.)

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Nick Burridge

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Hey Nick, I think this has been mentioned before, but just wondering how hard it would be to have the team name as a hyperlinked item. Cos it would be really nice to be able to go to a film from this year, then click on the team name to remind yourself what they did in previous years.

This is a great idea - I've gone ahead and added it to the system, so that when viewing an individual film you can click on the team name to see a table of their past films (then view those individually if you want).

Currently it only indexes exact matches - teams change their names for all sort of reasons (split into 2 teams, merge into 1), and the 48 guys already request that teams keep the same name if entering again - slight spelling differences might be a whole other group of people. So I'm not sure what the process would be for linking teams with non-matching names together would be. Will think on that some more.

Our Film is missing from Auckland Heat 10, could you please add us.

Added you.

AJ

I also had an idea, take it or leave it, probably too late to implement it this year.

Is it possible to get two separate rating systems for each film? One for story and one for technical elements?

Quite often this year I've seen films that had really creative concepts and hilarious story lines, but their editing and camera work have really let them down. I'm sure the inverse happens often too.

It sucks because in reviews I want to encourage teams with creative ideas to put more work into the other parts of their movie, but as a full package it doesn't seem fair to rate them any higher than a 3 out of 7 at the most. So quite a positive review of the story can end up looking like I didn't really like it based off my star rating.

Just a thought.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Nick Burridge:

This is a great idea - I've gone ahead and added it to the system, so that when viewing an individual film you can click on the team name to see a table of their past films (then view those individually if you want).

Woohoo! It works perfectly. And it's really nice being able to view a team's whole oeuvre (or at least, all their stuff since 2010) at a glance. Thanks!

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

ScottKennedy
Since: Apr 2014

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Hi Nick, Excellent work! One small thing, our film made by team 'Begged, Borrowed, Stolen' (as one of the Out of Town Teams in the Dunedin division) is missing it's title - our film is called '48 Days Later' - would you mind updating that for us?

thanks mate,
Scott

Writer / Director - Queenstown
2015 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - 48 Days Later (Last Person on Earth)
Dunedin City Awards: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Sexiest Looking Short, Best Song

2014 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - A Right Tool (Mistaken Identity)
*National Winner - Best Cinematography*
Nationally nominated for: Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Editing
Dunedin City Awards: Best Film, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Sexiest Looking Short, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Art Direction

2013 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - Mental Note (Musical) [Dunedin City Finalist, National nominee: Best Make-up]

themorgan

in reply to AJ:

Is it possible to get two separate rating systems for each film? One for story and one for technical elements?

Required element ratings:
5. Perfectly serves narrative
4. Seamless inclusion
3. Clumsy tack-on
2. Missing?
1. WE GET IT, BREAD, YES, ENOUGH

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral