VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Nick Burridge
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Reviews are live

The 48Hours Reviews Database is back for 2014 and is now up and running -

http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/

So don't forget to review the films in your heat!

Brendon Udy
Since: May 2011

Any thoughts on why people haven't been reviewing? Is it the April effect, lack of memory, or general lethargy? Or do people just not know about reviewing this year?

Auckland's Friday heats are a prime example - heat 7 only has 4 reviews total for 10 films, heat 8 has 10 of the films reviewed (although I'm responsible for 5 of those, and had involvement in the 2 non-reviewed), and heat 9 only has 3 reviews total for 12 films.

Just seems a shame that nobody is giving feedback to all these teams, as that is the best way for people to learn / grow.

NB: Not fishing for reviews for my film, just want to see more reviews for all :)

Half Shell Productions:
Rialto 48 Hours 2014 - Siren's Call (Time Travel)
Rialto 48 Hours 2013 - 17:09 (Techno Thriller) - Best Makeup (Auckland), Finalist Best Makeup (National)
V48 2012 - Finger Bang (Action) - Best Script (Auckland), Finalist Best Script (National)
V48 2011 - Best Foot Forward (Rom Com)
V48 2010 - Love Game (Sports)

Previous Teams:
V48 2009 - Little Death (Musical)
V48 2008 - Misconceptions (Romance)
V48 2007 - Grind World (Grindhouse)
V48 2006 - Monster Within (Monster)

Mista Teas

Any thoughts on why people haven't been reviewing? Is it the April effect, lack of memory, or general lethargy? Or do people just not know about reviewing this year?

Andrew has mentioned it a couple of times at each heat, so it's just whether people can be bothered I suppose. Until today there have been less bogus reviews than previous years - these can really push numbers up. And of course with Steelpotato not reviewing this year, that's a couple of hundred you won't see.

Normally, in CHCH there's a bit more room in the theatre for those interested to pop into a heat they're not part of, make some notes and review. This year seats have been at a premium for some of the heats, so not the same opportunity. Having a full theatre is great though!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Taunise

I'm working on it but I'm visiting a fair few heats so it's slow going. I'm focusing on films with no reviews for the moment so as many people as possible get one, but I started with the earlier heats.

I didn't make it to all of them this year as the venue is less convenient. I also know craig and Dogs Breakfast haven't made more than their night this year either.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

Michael Bolch

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Noticed the same thing also. Two other "reviewers" to name drop would be filmmaker and 48hoursofnosleep. The pattern I've noticed with at least one of them is that they are specifically down voting films in the CHCH top 10, and giving suspiciously positive reviews to specific films.

I agree in that these reviews count for nothing but feedback, but in saying that everyone wants constructive criticism for their film, but for people to deliberately drag down a film that people put time and effort into really isn't in the spirit of the competition.

I was really on the fence about commenting on any of this, but I'm really glad I'm not the only one noticing. I could be wrong, but judging by the content and length of the reviews, it seems pretty clear these people either haven't seen the films or have an agenda...

2015 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Paper Girl" (Romantic Comedy)
2014 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Love In Reverse" (Musical)
2013 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Photobooth" (Immobolised) [CHCH Finalist]
2012 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "The 'Wham!' Initiative" (Found Footage) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing, Original Song, Costume Design]
2011 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Cornchip" (Quest Movie) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing]

DogsBreakfast

I made sure I reviewed all the films in our heat, there aren't many more by other though.

Normally I also get to more heats but this year I have only been able to attend our heat due to work requirements.

It's a pity that more people don't take the time to review the films in their heat as it's nice for everyone to get feedback.

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Félix Vaunois
Since: Apr 2014

I don't Suppose your allowed to review your own film are you?

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

I've actually noticed more reviews than usual within my heat, but I've possibly just been in abnormally low-reviews heats in the past.

And yes you are Felix (and can be quite interesting actually), though it's usually best to mention in the review that it's your own film. Otherwise it can be seen as a bit dickish.

Félix Vaunois
Since: Apr 2014

in reply to IctusMortem:

Cheers

Kawiti Naitoro
Since: May 2013

http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/users/jasonmilne

Here's the dreaded reviewer. Maybe a little harsh with half a star ratings? Maybe he thought we had 48 months.

summer co
2018 | in the woods (star crossed lovers)
chch city finalist
nominated best cinematography
best professional drone operator NZ official

"I didn't vote for you. lol. "

"I prefer JAGBOGs film"

" I just feel like you guys were mad you got that genre (star crossed lovers) and decided to throw a tantrum and do the stupidest thing you could"

- Alexander Jones, Christchurch City Manager

sneaky horses
2014 | second skin (fantasy)
AJ's favourite 48hour films

"Wow the cinematography is beautiful! I can't believe this didn't make city finals."

- Alexander Jones, Christchurch City Manager

(comment on the screening room)

2013 | lend me a vein (musical)

"no comment"

- Alexander Jones , Christchurch City Manager

AJ

Jason Milne could be inspiration for next year's revenge films

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

bexxgirl

Wow - really not much reviewing happening in Wellington. Looks like only me from last night's 7pm heat (so far, anyway), apart from someone who only reviewed one film in the heat. Man, Steelpotato is missed.

2014 - Scone Shot "This Little Piggy Went to Market"
2013 - Crepe Shoot "Prime's Numbers"
2012 - Crepe Shoot "Nick of Time" (Wellington Finalist, nominated for best editing)
2011 - Pancake Pictures "Sammy" (Wellington Finalist and Best Actress)
2010 - Pancake Pictures "Fleet Street" (nominated for Best Use of Line and Best Actress)
2008 - Pancake Pictures "Resignation" (Wellington Finalist - 3rd place Wellington Region, Best Actress, Best Use of Character)
2006 - Pancake Pictures "Forbidden Fruit" (Wellington Finalist)
2005 - Pancake Pictures "Quench"

korohthegeek
Since: Mar 2014

I've been pondering whether to and where to make this comment. I sense there's some very experienced and at least semi professional teams out there. I've been a long time fan of the 48hr comp & watched many of the shorts over the years but never competed.
This is only our 2nd year as a self contained team. And we are very amateur, with lots of spirit. (we only had 3 people this year with very limited equipment ). I appreciate all the comments I have recieved in the forums and even the review of our short. I honestly take on board the points made. I guess i just want to make the point how amateur we actually are and still learning.
Happy to compete against you guys, so please don't get me wrong. Of course, we'll take it all on board and crack on next year. See you there.

R17

in reply to bexxgirl:

Wow - really not much reviewing happening in Wellington. Looks like only me from last night's 7pm heat (so far, anyway), apart from someone who only reviewed one film in the heat. Man, Steelpotato is missed.

Tell me about it... I am trying to scrape together some time to write some reviews for heat 13... They will come eventually... promise! If anyone here was at that heat, we would love some reviews on our film :D

Nick Burridge

in reply to Kawiti Naitoro:

According to IP tracking 48hoursofnosleep and JasonMilne are one and the same. I've no patience for people that set up multiple accounts to try game the system by downvoting other films, so I'm blocking him from the system. Why would you bother anyway - the ratings don't mean anything!

Regarding the number of reviews - in my head I'd put it down to the percentage of school teams this year, with younger entrants being less inclined to leave reviews. Of course I've no evidence to back that up! Just a general feeling.

Mista Teas

in reply to Nick Burridge:

I've no patience for people that set up multiple accounts to try game the system by downvoting other films, so I'm blocking him from the system. Why would you bother anyway - the ratings don't mean anything!

Amen. Cheers, Nick.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Newsboy

in reply to R17:

I'll get right on it :D

2007: Solitaire
2008: F*Dance (National winner)
2009: Mime and Punishment
2010: Art
2011: Nubbin' But Trouble
2012: FETUS 5000
2013: Fist Cop
2014: Man Day
2015: Beyond the Fridge
2016: DICKS
2017: Cameo'd in 11 films.
2019: The Big Number.

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

R17

in reply to Newsboy:

I'll get right on it :D

Ty :D reviewed you guys (in fact, reviewed everyone except for us lol! - I am Wiki in my other life...) ... Was the pixelated resolution purposeful in yours btw?

R17

We have a review... we have a review *little dance* :D

Newsboy

in reply to R17:

Nope, not at all. It was either spit out a low res version and get it handed in or miss out entirely. We didn't want two disqualifications in a row, that would have hurt way too much. We felt that it was watchable.... even if only barely :)

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

Newsboy

in reply to R17:

Oh thanks for the review by the way, glad you enjoyed it. Was one of our more fun flicks to film (in my other life I'm a finger dancer, artist, mime, tumour, scientist, cop, and now just a man).