VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Section59
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Regional Finals

Hi. I just want to push the regionals to all the new teams out there. A lot of people are confused as hell when they start 48 Hours. It's something many of us never lose in fact. But what makes things easier is seeing the cream of the crop and hearing from the people who made the films.

The Regional Finals are fantastic fun even if - in fact especially if - your team did not make the cut. We've already booked our tickets, I encourage everyone to do the same whether or not your film is selected.

There is no cinema experience quite like it, and seeing the best films on the big screen is incomparable to watching in the screening room later.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

daronjay
Since: May 2015

in reply to dramamike:

(The Happy Birthday song).

I take your point, thought that particular example is one of the most egregious abuses of copyright, along with limitations on photos of the Eiffel Tower and even, unbelievably, an attempt in Europe to trademark the first 9 notes of Fur Elise.

http://www.furelise.com/

Twerkers Collective
2015 Mr Nibbles | Cat & Mouse - Audience Award Winner | reviews

Screening room link
Review it here

dramamike

in reply to daronjay:

Yeah, but at the same time a rule is a rule.
For me, it was potentially a comp ending court case.

Putting it in is one thing.
Rewarding it with an award is another.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

themorgan

in reply to dramamike:

Strongly agree.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

treefrog

Aint no doubt about it, The Regional Finals in my Big Night of The Year.
I love the people, the films, the atmosphere, everything about it. A Must Do Thing To Do in Dunedin in 2015.

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

daronjay

Anyone got any hints on when we will hear the category nominations for everywhere north of Christchurch?

Twerkers Collective

Screening room link
Review it here

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to dramamike:

Yeah, but at the same time a rule is a rule.
For me, it was potentially a comp ending court case.

I'm gonna guess that this topic has already been discussed to death elsewhere, but in the absence of the context I have a couple of thoughts to add. First up, there is the question of filmmaker intent. The Happy Birthday song is surely one of the only examples where almost everybody assumes it's public domain, when it isn't. So innocent intent on the part of the filmmaker is quite plausible, whereas the same plea couldn't be made if the film used a Beyonce song for instance.

Secondly, am I right to assume that the primary reason for the no copyrighted material clauses is to do with legal restrictions on the exhibition of the films? Which means that it should be no worries in the heats, which are private events. But was this film screened (in full) at a City Finals, which are public? If so, that's more problematic, although hardly court-case material - at worst, a fine for infringement perhaps?

Again, I've got no idea what the specifics were in this situation (but feel free to enlighten me...). But where the film was exhibited, and how significant the award was that it won, both might somewhat affect my thoughts on this I reckon.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "√úbermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Cookie
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

I think you'll find 'innocent intent' a hard defense in any case. No matter where the content was exhibited or how significant the award was, it would not exclude you from copyright challenges - from Youtube to Cinemas to TV broadcast, all can be subjected to copyright infringement. 48Hours are not here to enforce or adjudicate copyright law, they rely on your common sense and a google search to avoid possible issues. There's aways an alternative.

If you, yourself, discover anything about any aspect of the moving image industry by being part of 48hours, then it's worked positively on some level.

- "From Napkin to Boxoffice report, all films start and finish on paper."

'If you only see one movie this year - make sure it's yours!'
If you want a happy ending, that depends of course, where you stop your story

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Cookie:

To clarify, my reasoning with 'intent' was in relation to the 48hours rules specifically, not strict copyright legal matters. But perhaps it's no different anyway. With regard to exhibition, I am genuinely curious to know what the legal threshold is there - for example, since a heat screening is technically a private event (not ticketed and no public allowed) how is it different from playing copyrighted music at a large party?

But I will naturally defer to your knowledge of these things. To be honest, I was mostly just trying to stir up a little conversation in these silence-infested wastelands that we call the forums...

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "√úbermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

dramamike

I doubt the film had the intent to offend and as a result I have no issue with the film itself.
People make honest mistakes and that's fine.
For me, the bigger issue is that the judges didn't know the law and rewarded it with prizes.

In any case, I've moved on and am looking forward to the finals this year.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Scotty
Since: Mar 2012

I'm just talking from the Hamilton region but the nomination for top ten came out really quickly this year. The other catagories should be out soon. Never assume your not in because you just never know until its all up on the website.
We were dqed two yrs ago due to tech gremlins so not in on time. We got played at the heats but had DQ stamped on the name when the groups came up at the end so it was obvious we were so I think if your DQed then you know pretty early on.

Only been to one Regional Finals as our team are intermediate Yr 7/8 students so the content of shots unfortunetly not for them and we are over in Bay of Plenty Pongakawa so a big drive at night!! The one i went to represent them was cool:))

If You Go Down To The Woods Today......... http://www.v48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2012/hamilton/if-you-go-down-to-the-woods-today/

9.00am BOOM! https://vimeo.com/67687469 (Contract now taken out on tech gremlins who hindered our Masterpiece. You don't mess with PONGAKAWA FILM AND MEDIA CLUB!!)
LOOK OUT for the doco on what happened next!!

Detention Room - http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2014/hamilton/detention-room/

Last Ted Standing - http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2014/hamilton/detention-room/

Sean O'Connor
Since: May 2011

Wonder if the category announcement will come through before the weekend? Any news?

Actor (Various Teams)
2018 | Angle3 Pictures | The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years | Healing Water
2017 | Angle3 Pictures | Survival | Stand Up
2016 | Angle3 Pictures | Puppet | Finest Creation (Grand National Finalist)
2015 | Oral Bennetians | Other Dimension | Driveby Stigmata and the Last Communion
2014 | Shoestring | Revenge | If You Can Get Blood
2013 | Battlesoup | Action | Henchmen
2012 | Big Red Fire Truck | Found Footage | Broken Clover
2011 | FRC Productions | Fad | You Reckon?
2010 | Oral Bennetians | Road Movie | Driveby Stigmata (Best National DQ'd Film)
2009 | Family | Wizard Boy II

daronjay

in reply to Sean O'Connor:

Wonder if the category announcement will come through before the weekend? Any news?

*crickets*

Twerkers Collective

Screening room link
Review it here

cam

in reply to Scotty:

The other catagories should be out soon. Never assume your not in because you just never know until its all up on the website.

Whoopsie! Maybe I should've waited a bit more! (Thats if there could be more teams, I dunno)

Lights, Camera, Popcorn (Hamilton)
2015 | Science Gone Mad | Is it brilliance? | Nominated for Incredibly Strange Film | Team Leader/ Producer / Editor

Find us here:
Screening Room
Reviews

daronjay

in reply to cam:

Whoopsie! Maybe I should've waited a bit more! (Thats if there could be more teams, I dunno)

I'm pretty sure they won't be adding more finalists but they will be adding nominations for other awards. Take a look at the Chch list to get an idea of how it plays out.

Only finalists get their film played I believe, I think that the other awards might use clips from the films like the Oscars (lol), but I don't know for sure.

Twerkers Collective

Screening room link
Review it here

Section59

Yes indeedy Daronjay, in Chch we have the film clip and the music when the 'lesser' awards are handed out. Andrew Todd has a penchant for the dramatic, I'll give him that!

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

squire
Since: May 2013

The Happy Birthday song has been in this thread a bit recently. I've been following the case.
In 2013, there began a class action against Warner/Chappell to have Happy Birthday uncopyrighted (since copyright was dubiously based on a 1935 publication of a particular piano arrangement; due to expire in 2030 (after 95 years). More relevant dates are 1924 (public domain 2019), or, better, 1901 (public now) depending on interpretation), and it's been chugging its way through the American Courts at glacial speed.

Here's the latest of a few days ago.

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines