VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Craig Parkes
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

Opinion's on hardest genre for 2011

With the dust settling, and heat viewings under way, I'm curious about subjective opinions regarding the hardest genre for 2011.

I have only seen our heats shorts so far, but my personal take at this point is that The Body Switch movie is a particularly tough one for V48HOURS for a few reasons.

One - Body switch feature films are often quite formulaic, but it is a formula that is very hard to replicate within the max 7 minute timeline of a V48HOURS film.

The Body Switch movie requires some technical savvy to convey the moment of bodies switching to the audience in a concise manner, there are many ways to do this - but the ones that are quickest pretty much require some sort of visual/practical effect that may be harder for the less experienced teams to come up with on the spur of the moment.

This can be achieved by using voice over or exposition in the dialogue, but this is generally going to slow the movie down. Considering you've got to convey the switching of bodies, and some sort of story, in your 7 minutes, anything that slows the story down isn't going to help matters.

Also, and this is a big one for me - I can't think of a lot of body swap movies that I really like, or are really very good, unless you are going to characterize movies like Strange Days or maybe the Matrix as 'body swap' movies, which I suppose you could.

Anyway, for me, this one would have been a tough genre to come up with ideas for, and I think would be tougher than Musical or Dance to get right.

What do you guys think (for the record, I was on team Artificial Nipple, we got revenge, so this isn't sour grapes).

sngeorge2
Since: May 2011

in reply to Andrew Todd:

I got fad. I killed Bobby Young from the very beginning. I think it was hard.

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

I think fad would have been hard due to the temptation to plank or go for easy jokes. If someone pulled off a good plank (tehehe) or a more sophisticated fad movie then they might be well rewarded.
Body Switch in 7 mins would have been tough too because a body switch movie often has plot complications that need careful exposition.
I think the one room mash-up was a good option and would have provided a interesting angle/ opportunity.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Craig Parkes

If I had got fad movie, I would have done everything within my power to dig up Chatter Rings...

dramamike

Ooh, or leg warmers
Or David Bain knitted jerseys!

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

BigDaddyB

in reply to Craig Parkes:

If I had got fad movie, I would have done everything within my power to dig up Chatter Rings...

We managed to work a Chatter Rings into our fad movie, along with a couple of Rubix Cubes and a Hula hoop.

Although I forgot about the David Bain jersey, and my boss (who was in the film) has one he wears all the time. Dammit.

Aintree Productions - competing in Hamilton since 2009

2009 - The Curse of Blood Rock - Horror
2010 - The Brilliant Exchange - Femme Fatale
2011- Toowoomba - Fad Movie Hamilton City FInalist
2012 - Did not compete due to other commitments - helped Hamilton City Manager instead
2013 - Me, Myself & I - Obsessive Relationship

nimlin

in reply to dramamike:

it has already been done i'm sure it was musical from dunnas

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

Cardinal

I think "fad movie" is probably the genre with the least-seen body of examples that we've had. What are the most prominent fad movies of all time? You've got "Saturday Night Fever", and then you're probably down to..."Breakdance 2: Electric Boogaloo" or something (which no-one has actually seen, but is famous for its hilarious title). I guess I'd sort of consider myself a low to medium grade film buff, and I think I've seen about 2 fad movies ever, and only then because I hang out with the hardcore likes of Mr. Todd. So I think (even in a competition full of filmheads) a lot of people that got that genre probably hadn't seen even ONE fad movie ever, which I imagine could make it a bit tough. Sure you can look it up on Wikipedia and so on, but it's not the same as having ready viewing experience to call on when considering all the tropes, key notes to hit etc.

Ant Timpson

I dont' think Stanislavski is incorrect at all. In fact I think he brings some excellent points to the discussion. Even if some of his stuff is a fave forum pastime of baiting the regulars.

firstly and this is just another opinion, I totally believe some genres are limiting compared to others. However, common sense would also say great minds can rise above any limitation and I guess thats the heart of 48. Great teams will find a way to make it work for them. It's the great divider.

And do I believe two great teams with two very different genres are on the same playing field? No I don't. Not at all.

Does that means the team with the easier genre will succeed over the one with a tougher genre? Again, no. It really comes down to alchemy on the weekend and that is something that no one can bottle or succinctly wrap-up in a simple explanation.

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

Craig

I've only been in this for 2 years but the genres seemed to me both benign & fun. i.e. good choices.

Last year was a bit trickier with Sex Ed and Twins.

This year I think musical (obviously) and Rom Com are probably the hardest. The latter because you need to (a) write comedy and (b) have a female lead available (well usually).

One Room was fine. We got that one. Heaps of options, and plenty of room to make it look pretty, if you want that cinematography award. We actually didn't play up the one room bit, though in retrospect this might have been a real missed opportunity to have a crack at a Submarine movie - now THAT's a genre.

Rear Window totally qualifies. Though I don't know if anyone has taken the chance to have a go at something along the lines of Rope...

treefrog

in reply to Andrew Todd:

It's all about how teams use what they've got.

Word.
And a little more about art, if you have no objection.

The interaction of the arts in film, in my humble opinion, is vastly more than vista and angle. Its the harmonious interbreeding of all the arts. a well crafted concept/script will, if the designers and developers allow, fuel a beautifully crafted and appealing film.

Notice the word 'appealing'

Not visually acceptable, or well written, or action-packed.

Appealing. This may mean appealing to the horror genre or fan. Or musical. Or Body switch. Extrapolate.
It means 'hitting the right notes' (as film should be as beautiful as music) to get the the audience to agree with the premise of your film through considered shot, angle, movement, design, light, character, sound and pace.

A one room film such as '12 Angry Men' (still one of my favourites and not a car chase/gun fight or lingerie clad boobie in sight) is captivating BECAUSE of the script and characters.
Not the camera, but it speaks too.
Not because of the music, theres really very little.
Its the art of the script/actors/camera/edit all behaving as one art form.

I actively use three words as part of a practical film-related educational programme.

1 / Collaboration
We agree that this is our path/script and will do all we can to achieve that goal.
If anyone disagrees, leave them behind.

2/ Responsibility
I/you/we have direct responsibilities within our departments (jobs) to perform, in order to achieve the stated goal.
Our responsibilites are ours, we can share them, and ask assistance, but never abandon them.

3/ Resourcefulness
Earnest Rutherford famously said:
"We don't have much money, so we're going to have to think."
Use what you have. If you don't have it, can you get it?
No.
Then do without it. There will be a way.

In four or five phone calls you can achieve or acquire pretty much anything you need in NZ. In four phone calls I can have a camera in a plane, or chopper, for the cost of a two dozen beers, (just once mind you.)
Or an elephant for my animal sequence for the asking price of a ticket to the zoo and a quick chat with the manager.

Art is...limitation, and endless scope.

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

treefrog

it has already been done i'm sure it was musical from dunnas

and a damn fine one too!

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

mikedensem

The hardest genre is perhaps the one that is perceived to be the easiest.
The limitations applied by the 48Hours is what drives 700 film makers to make a movie (probably the only one they make all year).
Just try this: go make a movie with NO limitations.

--------------------
2019 - Maximum of 30 characters - The Holiday Movie:
Cabin Fever
2018 - Silence of the LAMZ - The Last day on Earth Movie: An Appointment with a Poo
2017 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical (Transformation): TRANSformation
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Survival (Fate): Best Day Ever
2016 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Horror: Glitchers
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films -Time Travel: One More Time(s)
2015 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical: Find a Way
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Mad Science: Kitty-Matic 2000
2014 - Slept through this whole year...
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

mikedensem

in reply to Stanislavski:

And V48 hours is trying to be more than a limitation based film making challenge. It's positioned as a talent breeding ground for NZ filmmakers and it's trying to gain more attention for it's talent.

I'd be careful assuming what the comp is all about. It is a product of a privately owned company. They can and will do what they want. It is often incorrectly seen as some kind of arts trust/community comp.
And I do hope it NEVER turns into that.

--------------------
2019 - Maximum of 30 characters - The Holiday Movie:
Cabin Fever
2018 - Silence of the LAMZ - The Last day on Earth Movie: An Appointment with a Poo
2017 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical (Transformation): TRANSformation
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Survival (Fate): Best Day Ever
2016 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Horror: Glitchers
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films -Time Travel: One More Time(s)
2015 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical: Find a Way
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Mad Science: Kitty-Matic 2000
2014 - Slept through this whole year...
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

Stanislavski

in reply to mikedensem:

Yes, it pays to be careful.

I am referring to the position taken about V48 hours within the review of the NZ Film Commission conducted by Peter Jackson last July. In that review one of the recommendations was to look to v48 hours as a source that indicates talent that is emerging in New Zealand. And there was more about these matters in there too.

So yes, I am being careful to stick to the letter here.

weebey

I believe Cosby Sweater is the correct term !

weebey

and on the genre limitations, best i can put it is the McNugget man.

You see he's sittin down in the basement be'in all brilliant till somone comes down with a bowl of chicken and sez "do somthing" (KFC be on the map now)

so he gets to work, thinking out of the box and stuff.

This guy got the bone all the way out the damn chicken, till he come along people be chewing on drumsticks gettin there fingers all greasy, he said later for the bone. lets nugget that meat up mix real money.

now we have chicken McNuggets and that guys richer than anything.
he thought about the problem and came up with somthing.

plus he did it in a basement which is one room.

moolamb

in reply to weebey:

You deserve an award.

Jack Woon

2013 - Dear Mum - Knee How
2011 - urban etikit - $195 Worth (National Finalist)
2010 - Two Timer - HaynesFilm/Ow (Auckland Finalist)
2008 - No Change for Change - SQS (Auckland Finalist)

Daniel Huisman

I would agree that this year Fad is toughest of the genres... although I'm sure that's very intentional as there's always one nasty one in there... (Sex Ed, Grindhouse, Puppet, Mockumentry) One Room I think our team would have loved... we like to heavily limit our number of locations anyway.

Jason Fitch

Musical has always been the lemon and always will be.

It's fine if you are the talented Johnny Barker and your group gets it ... otherwise you are kinda screwed to compose something within the time constraints ...

veli

enjoyed the fad movie genre.

think we got a bit cheesy & carried away with it .. but hey what you can make out of temp craze ;)

think there is no hardest genre.. anything tends to be hard if you make it too complex.. it's just all our expectations playing us trix - goal for me was to make it 'simple as possible'

It does help to have right team i.e. musicians for musical and so on.. but again musicians might want more complex stuff and thus make the production harder as they know more about it rather than going simple way...

hardest as the word here seem to be a bit over-simplified here

2013 - Battle Royal - Granma's scales [Wellington]
2012 - Loaded Gunn - The Letter / Fantasy [Wellington]
2011 - Bad Idea - The Next Big Thing / Fad Movie [Wellington]
2010 - Lost Sleepers - Giving up the ghost / Ghost movie [Wellington]