VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

Feed for this Topic

No Chch Best Team Intro this year?

I noticed that there was no nominations for best team intro this year for Christchurch. The last couple years the best team intro nominees were posted after the first announcement but I was curious if thats the case this year or is it gone? I see Gisbourne still has that category.

Anyways no dramas if it is gone but I know in our team we love to go hard at the team intro each year as a good warm up and as a chance to try a technique we don't know how to do but won't have time to learn over the 48 hours weekend. Having a possible award as payoff for all those hours also makes it that much more fun. How do others feel about team intros? Do you enjoy making them or find them superfluous?

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

Searlo
Since: Apr 2011

I loved your intro (again) this year - very cool.

We did ours on the weekend. Not ideal, but the best way (for us) of ensuring we could get everyone involved on screen. Last year's intro had been recycled and included people who weren't in the team/excluded people that were.

I think I probably enjoy watching other team intros more than doing our own. They're definitely preferable to the old school way of introducing our film which was to stand up and say something along the lines of 'Hi, I'm Dave, hope you enjoy our film.'

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

Clayton Hiku

Oh man. I loved your Team intro so much this year too dude! Such a brilliantly clever idea. Much like your actual film too. Michael Bell diving in super slow mo at orange studios was one of the highlights of my night haha :)

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro

V48 Seconds

Searlo

Haha! A seven minute black and white slow motion of Michael falling would make an excellent 'foreign arts film' short. Whatever happened to that genre?

Watching him score our film was a highlight of the year for me. That man is a genius (I don't read or speak music so the language of musicians is mystical and surreal).

TBALC

Clayton Hiku

in reply to Searlo:

Whatever happened to that genre?

HAHA Best Genre Ever!

That man is a genius

Yes he is! He was in my last year at Jazz school with me. There is nothing like being 20 years old in the last year of your music degree and thinking you're doing pretty well and having an 18 year old show up and jump straight into your 3rd year with you to suddenly feel rather underachieving :) haha.

Also we need Andrew Todd to jump onto this thread and answer the original question at hand too. Is there no more Best Intro Award for CHCH? Or is one still coming for this year? :)

48 Hours

V48 Seconds

Mista Teas

If there ends up being an award, it'll be a certificate, unless a sponsor is on board for the category. I think that is the determining factor. Same discussion happened last year I recall with the "Best Female Director". No sponsor:no award.

In the end though; there may have been one at the last minute. I forget...

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Mista Teas:

If there ends up being an award, it'll be a certificate, unless a sponsor is on board for the category. I think that is the determining factor. Same discussion happened last year I recall with the "Best Female Director". No sponsor:no award.

But the glory, Stu, the GLORY - that has no pricetag.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "√úbermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

daronjay
Since: May 2015

in reply to Mista Teas:

Same discussion happened last year I recall with the "Best Female Director". No sponsor:no award.

Surely noone is in this game for the awards themselves, we probably spent more gearing up for our short than is on offer as a top prize for regional. I suppose the grand final prizes are not to be sniffed at, but they can't be the motivation.

As you say Mr Marmoset, it's all about the GLORY!

Twerkers Collective
2015 Mr Nibbles | Cat & Mouse - Audience Award Winner | reviews

Screening room link
Review it here

Mista Teas

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

I agree! I agree!

I was just giving possible justification for no award in some areas, that may differ from year to year!

I'm pretty sure the City Manager can give everyone a participation certificate if he so desires...

Andrew has had a "Guilty Pleasure" award before...so it's up the the local boss, I guess.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

AJ
Since: May 2011

in reply to Clayton Hiku:

Also we need Andrew Todd to jump onto this thread and answer the original question at hand too.

I heard if you say his name three times in front of a mirror at Midnight, he'll turn up.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Clayton Hiku

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

I heard if you say his name three times in front of a mirror at Midnight, he'll turn up.

Oh so thats what I'm doing wrong. I always stop after saying it twice! Cheers. ;)

Yeah exactly. I'm pretty sure thats what we all hope for. Infact the prizes seem to be getting less each year. Perhaps just less sponsors. Previous years there was been prizes for Script, Score and maybe some others. I also had to have a week chuckle this year realising the prize for 2nd place in Canterbury is less than the entry fee. But thats cool. The glory is what its all about really. haha. For the record though we won Best Team intro two years ago and there was no prize. Just a certificate. But we were plenty stoked so I hope they don't drop the category. Sponsors or no sponsors its totally worth putting in that extra effort when theres something at stake.

48 Hours

V48 Seconds

Section59

Totes agree with you Clayton.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

Clayton Hiku

in reply to Section59:

I'm glad you can agree with me even with all my damn you autocorrect moments I just had. Lol

48 Hours

V48 Seconds

Brendon
Since: May 2011

in reply to Clayton Hiku:

From the nominations thread

BEST TEAM INTRO
Bald Men Collection
Just a Good Bunch of Guys
Partially Inconvenien
Submission Impossible
TBALC

This is it right?

TBALC / Team Moon

Searlo

in reply to Brendon:

Oooooh. That appears to be a new addition... hurray!! (Nice spotting, Brendon).

TBALC

Clayton Hiku

in reply to Brendon:

From the nominations thread

BEST TEAM INTRO
Bald Men Collection
Just a Good Bunch of Guys
Partially Inconvenien
Submission Impossible
TBALC

This is it right?

Oh brilliant! Very Well Spotted. In fact it Sheepishly looks like he updated the list and added that in the day after the announcement and before I started this thread. How funny. Congrats to you guys (TBALC). I knew you would be in!

48 Hours

V48 Seconds