VF48Hours 2020 Forum

ruth
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

Hi all, we've updated the rules for 2017 and these are now live on the website - https://www.48hours.co.nz/2017/help/

The main change is rule 1.

1. The ‘film’ must be created between 7 pm Friday, August 25th and 7 pm Sunday, August 27th - the shoot weekend. You can use any resources you have available including music, sound effects stills and footage - as long as you have the clearance. Theoretically, your entire film could be made up of stock footage. This also means you can use old footage of yours if you choose to.

2. The duration of the ‘film’ must be minimum 1 minute and maximum 5 minutes. This includes your titles and credits.

3. The ‘film’ must be delivered as a single digital movie file using our recommended file specs by 7 pm on Sunday, August 27th, either on USB to the city hand-in location or uploaded via our portal for teams who have registered as out of town.

4. The ‘film’ must include all the required elements as supplied at the launch. Teams who have registered as ULTRA48 must include the Ultra elements as well.

5. The ‘film’ must include the final closing credit: "Made as part of HP48HOURS 2017".

6. All teams must fill out the online wrap-up form before 7 pm at the close of the competition. Access to this form will be provided to the registered email address before the start of the competition.

7. Your single file entry must include the following video content in the following order:

Your Team intro, any length up to 20 seconds - this is OPTIONAL.

Info Card: ‘Film’ title, Team name, Genre, City - 10 seconds.
The ‘Film’.
Black screen: 5 seconds.

8. You must have the rights to all material that appears in the ‘Film’. Release forms must be signed for all actors, locations, music and anything else that you need permission for that you use in the ‘Film’. This must be held by the Team leader until requested.

9. Your team leader must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

10. Do not upload the ‘film’ onto the internet until after it has finished in the competition. This means that you must wait until you find out if it has made your city final. If it is a city finalist then you must wait until the national finalists are announced.

Rules are subject to change up to the competition start-time - 7pm August 25th.

AJ

in reply to Bloydd:

Don't ask me what it is but I'm sure Alex Jones will chime in with an example....

"Yeah so what, I exaggerate. You could even say I fabricate. I guess you could say I'm a liar. I don't know. Maybe I'm just thoughtless. Just a thoughtless old ex-bully"

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

ruth

in reply to Brendon:

There was a situation a few years ago where we could have ADR'd the new line in, changed a character name, and then resubmitted an old film that met all the requirements.

Sure you could have, but would you have?

We've changed the rules this year, what makes you all think the required elements will stay the same?

Brendon

in reply to ruth:

Oh no, we certainly wouldn't have. It was just an amusing consequence of drawing the same genre multiple times.

TBALC / Team Moon

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

The thing is, if you made a film in previous years, unless it was a winner, why on earth would you submit a film that wasn't successful last time? You miss out on all the fun an excitement of the weekend, all the buzz of seeing your film be experienced for the first time by an audience, the trepidation of judging etc. Doesn't seem like something anyone who will get anywhere would do anyway.

AJ

in reply to droolingmonkey:

why on earth would you submit a film that wasn't successful last time?

I'm MOSTLY fine with the rule change, but just to play devil's advocate- and not that I would actually want to do this instead of making a film but...
Our first film as Les Cousins is probably our best, or at least a lot of people have told me that. But we handed in a dud version by accident, and completely fell through the cracks of notoriety, save for a few sympathetic reviews.
We redeemed ourselves the following year, BUT I have always been cursed with wondering "What if we handed in a good version 'Bourbon Legends'?"
Our genre was crime, and we barely used the 'insomnia' part of Vic Meyer, but say if we got a similar genre this year, like crime, or converging storylines, or mystery, and we ADR in a character name and line as Brendon mentioned, then we could hand in our revamped version and potentially give it a second life.

Again, I'm not gonna do this, nor would I want to (why throw away the best weekend of the year?), but I'm just answering your question "why on earth would you submit a film that wasn't successful last time?"

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

I'm intrigued to see how it plays out.
I think teams that use prior footage will simply make better movies.
I doubt teams will rework an existing piece as it, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of the comp.
An alternative is to allow footage from previous 48 Hours films that are in the screening room. I think this would encourage teams to put them up, view them and the reusage would be highly creative.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

DylanReeve

Allow me to re-post one of my more cogent comments from Facebook post about this:

It isn't that makes it easier. It allows more creativity. I love the limitations - chiefly time and logistical - that make 48HOURS. But if we had to do *everything* in that time span (including, most notably, scoring) it would seriously limit many teams' ability to participate.

Being able to use footage that's not originated in that weekend isn't about having canned content. It's about being able to support bigger creative ideas.

Want to have a flashback scene set in the 1970s? Now you can help support that with a quick establishing shot of a busy 1970s street.

Want to shoot your actors into space? Now you can grab a rocket liftoff shot.

Need something on the TV in the background during a scene in the lounge? Now it can be your 48HOURS entry from last year, instead of being something you have to just somehow jam into your schedule to support what is essentially set decoration.

You still have to write, shoot and edit a film in 48 hours. The fact you can magically reach outside that specific window for a few things isn't making the competition weaker - it's making it stronger. We can do *more* now.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

DylanReeve

in reply to AJ:

I'm MOSTLY fine with the rule change, but just to play devil's advocate- and not that I would actually want to do this instead of making a film but...
Our first film as Les Cousins is probably our best, or at least a lot of people have told me that. But we handed in a dud version by accident, and completely fell through the cracks of notoriety, save for a few sympathetic reviews.
We redeemed ourselves the following year, BUT I have always been cursed with wondering "What if we handed in a good version 'Bourbon Legends'?"

You could absolutely do this.

And I think people would see through it - certainly the judges and organisers probably would. It is not in the spirit of the competition and I doubt you'd be rewarded for it.

I also think you'd feel a distinct lack of satisfaction on Sunday evening. You could of course tell yourself, "that's okay, this is the film we always wanted to make those few years ago" but of course nothing has stopped you re-working the film in the intervening years at any other time, so I doubt you'd convince yourself.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek

AJ

in reply to DylanReeve:

I also think you'd feel a distinct lack of satisfaction on Sunday evening. You could of course tell yourself, "that's okay, this is the film we always wanted to make those few years ago" but of course nothing has stopped you re-working the film in the intervening years at any other time, so I doubt you'd convince yourself.

Yep. Again, I don't wanna do this. I was just pointing out a scenario in which someone might want to do it.

I'm just spitballing ideas here.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

DylanReeve

in reply to AJ:

I could even use footage of [Trump] if I got the rights to it!

Fantastic news! You already have the rights!

Almost all US government-created content (including official White House video) is explicitly not copyright protected. So, you can absolutely use Trump.

Please don't.

This is much more useful for things from NASA and the US military, perhaps?

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek

DylanReeve

in reply to AJ:

Yep. Again, I don't wanna do this. I was just pointing out a scenario in which someone might want to do it.

I'm just spitballing ideas here.

The 'you' was a broad metaphorical 'you' in relation to the scenario you posed though.

Any team that tries to stretch this new rule into some sort of giant loophole for resubmitting or re-purposing a whole existing work is very likely to a) not get far and b) feel pretty stink later.

I will absolutely applaud a team that can somehow make a whole new creative work out of existing footage they have acquired the rights to (a narrative built from 1950's public domain educational films? That'd be cool!) but I think any other scenario people come up with about teams using existing material in some sort of wholesale way is just somewhat paranoid.

This rule means we can stretch our creative imagination into places logistics and budgets don't allow. It doesn't allow us to replace the main act of film-making.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek

IronFilms
Since: Dec 2012

in reply to ruth:

3. The ‘film’ must be delivered as a single digital movie file using our recommended file specs by 7 pm on Sunday, August 27th, either on USB to the city hand-in location or uploaded via our portal for teams who have registered as out of town.

What are these "recommended file specs"??

Especially need to know what FPS is expected.

Can't seem to find the info of these rules details anywhere on the website for 2017.

IronFilms
Since: Dec 2012

Never mind... the info was hidden away under here:

https://www.48hours.co.nz/2017/help/?ss=technical

ruth

in reply to IronFilms:

Cool. We've moved everything that wasn't really a rule onto the help page.

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

New Rule Idea.

Give us up to 24 hours after the weekend to submit the online wrap up form.

Then we can answer all the silly questions with a bit more thought and care. We could even submit photos and extended horror stories.

There could be a prize for greatest horror story.

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

Taunise

I got to hand-in without the USB in an envelope because I couldn't find the rules page that said envelope. It wasn't on Rules or Tech specs. Luckily I had a backup envelope and a pen.

Sometimes it's hard to find some bits :(

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

Bloydd

in reply to Taunise:

Yeah I spent a good 5-10 minutes trying to find what you had to write on the envelope on the website. Ended up just writing everything I could think of and running out the door.

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Taunise:

I looked as well and couldn't find anything so just took the USB but they had some envelopes at the finish in AK, phew

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award