VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Layla
Since: Jun 2011

Feed for this Topic

Is it just me?

Say if one city has ~300 entrants, they get 10 through to the final. Another city has 15 or so entrants, they get 8 through to the final.

Does this seem right? Should it be based more on proportion? Lord knows that some fantastic film such as Sinistral, Aristocrats or the Turkeyham (check out the ratings!!!!) is overlooked for something "above average" (?) from another city...

Layla

Well, 13 I see that now, but still... the proportions are grossly out

Andrew Todd
Since: Apr 2011

It's the city finals. It doesn't have any bearing on anything other than that city.

What are you so worried about?

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2020 Lockdown - "The Quiet Moon" - Science Fiction
2019 - "Schism" - Science Fiction (National finalist; Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography; Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019, Chattanooga Film Fest 2020)
2018 - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist; Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation; Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "√úbermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Layla

Yea, fair enough, just looking at the glory for those involved. 50% chance of smaller city entrants getting in, 5% chance of larger city entrants getting in.

Other than that, can't wait for the nationals!

John

Well, perhaps next year some Auckland team should enter under a small town section and have a decent chance to get through to the finals?

DonnieDarko

in reply to John:

... I can see where you're coming from... but where's the fun in beating teams that aren't at he same level as you are. Kinda like taking candy from a baby. No offence intended towards those teams in other smaller regions.
Creativity pops up all over the country. But seriously, the Auckland finals last year... very, very GOOD!!!!!

2011 - "Gooseville" - Crime
2010 - "The Separation of Sidney Manson"
Auckland Finalist - 2 nominations - Won Best Art Direction.
2009 - "How to make friends without actually meeting people"
6 nominations - National Winner - "sexiest looking short"
2007 - "The History of the Apee"
After Effects Animation - Commissioned by Ant for screening at the Auckland Finals.

zzzzzzz

I don't see the point.

Its a judging of who is best. The only reason 12 movies screen at the city finals is so its long enough to be an "event" and for the drama and recognition of the films closest to the best film. They could easily have the city finals be only the winning film, but then there is no drama and less incentive for people to fill the seats.

Recognizing "more" would just dilute the drama, wouldn't it? (and make the finals an epic marathon)

LIke at the olympics if instead of 3 medals they had 20 different colors of metal and a big sprawling pyramid the finalists could stand on. In theory the olympiads represent the best out of MILLIONS of athletes worldwide, so 20 different medals is only fair, right? "i won the nickel chrome medal! woooo!"

On the other hand, the national finals being one film from each city caused enough complaining that this year the national finals are chosen by merits alone. Its not as awesome for the tiny towns, but is more "fair" to the bigger city teams, i suppose.

Stanislavski

The point may well be that change is all being driven by complaining, bitching and moaning from a few people regarding previous years?

Purely from a fairness and equality perspective - a proportional number of finalists to the number of entrants seems sensible.

Last year, there were 16 finalists in Auckland because the pool of entrants is so far greater than any other region. This was fair.

Perhaps having sixteen seven minute films added up to an event that was split into two halves and ran for 112 minutes plus prizes and pomp and ceremony - maybe another 30 minutes. A total of around two and a half hours. ( Hardly a marathon event )

Also saying this is akin to to a dilution of quality seems off.

We are informed that the selections are a popularist pandora's box.

This means to some people the best films are in the zone ( top 20 films ) but not necessarily in the finalists. To them the best films may have missed out. There is no science to this, it's just the luck of the draw.

Staying with 16 finalists in Auckland could have been fairer to Aucklanders who have less chance of making their regional finals than any other participants. ( Although a slightly more expensive and a tolerably longer event )

Another suggestion is to publish a list of the top 30 films in large regions - or provide some sort of limited feedback in future years for the films in the zone ...although this means extra work for someone.

Depends how much we care about it I guess.

Shifty

in reply to DonnieDarko:

but where's the fun in beating teams that aren't at he same level as you are. Kinda like taking candy from a baby. No offence intended towards those teams in other smaller regions.

May a jet engine fall fall lovingly and delicately upon your head! :)

Perhaps if one or two of you lot up in the great Auckland cattle yards decided to put the yards in that the city managers do you could slice up Auckland into maybe two regions.. That would give you about the same entrants per chunk as Christchurch or Wellington.. (Shifty watches everyone scurrying for cover)

however as far as the judging goes how about this for a little idea..
each team has or had a log on page for the wrap up etc.. Well why not give each team one vote to go towards an "entrants choice award"..

After the city finals are announced and the screening room opened each team would be given one week to log onto their wrap up page and make a single vote for any film anywhere in the country whether it be in the finals or not as being their best of the best choice..

it could even be a post in thing..

the good thing is that unlke the audience award it couldn't be stacked with block voting by the biggest numbers the teams pull into the theatre..

just one criteria, you couldn't vote for your own film.. Plus it would sure get the screening room filled up fast... lol..

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

Taunise
Since: May 2011

How about we just leave it as it is and winning in auckland just has more bragging rights. Heck in auckland you're doing well just to get a nomination and everyone knows how competitive it is anyway.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

CraigWB

in reply to Taunise:

And I can only imagine how tough it will be next year based on this year. I've been in this thing since 2005 and have never been close to being a finalist.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Shifty

in reply to CraigWB:

And I can only imagine how tough it will be next year based on this year. I've been in this thing since 2005 and have never been close to being a finalist.

You're always closer than those that never got across the finish line...
You're always closer than those that gave up
Your always closer than those that never tried.

seven years in the comp, seven years across the line, seven years a bloody winner..

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

Pastor Thug

Let's face it, this competition needs a Pastor Thug wildcard as well.
I just know what's better than anyone else does.

2011 The Audition - dance/musical - Blue Suit Productions

moolamb

And we wonder why everyone else in the country calls us JAFAs.

Jack Woon

2013 - Dear Mum - Knee How
2011 - urban etikit - $195 Worth (National Finalist)
2010 - Two Timer - HaynesFilm/Ow (Auckland Finalist)
2008 - No Change for Change - SQS (Auckland Finalist)

TheOtherGuys

in reply to Shifty:

You're always closer than those that never got across the finish line...
You're always closer than those that gave up
Your always closer than those that never tried.

seven years in the comp, seven years across the line, seven years a bloody winner..

That's brilliant stuff that...

Clearly there are different ideas on winner but this looks good to me :)