VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

I keep thinking about this years character

Even though the competition is finished and my film is handed in with all my crews names misspelled in the online wrap up form I can't help but ponder the trait of the character this year. He's a liar but do you have to keep ramming home that he's a liar by showing him saying something and then showing how what he said isn't true? Potentially anything he says could be a lie like he could make a quip about another character which isn't true or comment about another characters chances, just one of those things that I keep thinking about.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

themorgan

in reply to IctusMortem:

Look at some of those reviewers though. There are so many people there who only signed in to rate their own short 10, we should be grateful they even deign to glance at any of the other shorts in their heat. What a bunch of asses.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

bexxgirl
Since: May 2011

in reply to themorgan:

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in our heat - I deliberately reviewed every film in our heat EXCEPT ours for that very reason, and only one other person in the heat did reviews (for only 5 of the films).

Stink year for reviews.

2014 - Scone Shot "This Little Piggy Went to Market"
2013 - Crepe Shoot "Prime's Numbers"
2012 - Crepe Shoot "Nick of Time" (Wellington Finalist, nominated for best editing)
2011 - Pancake Pictures "Sammy" (Wellington Finalist and Best Actress)
2010 - Pancake Pictures "Fleet Street" (nominated for Best Use of Line and Best Actress)
2008 - Pancake Pictures "Resignation" (Wellington Finalist - 3rd place Wellington Region, Best Actress, Best Use of Character)
2006 - Pancake Pictures "Forbidden Fruit" (Wellington Finalist)
2005 - Pancake Pictures "Quench"

R17
Since: May 2013

in reply to bexxgirl:

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in our heat - I deliberately reviewed every film in our heat EXCEPT ours for that very reason, and only one other person in the heat did reviews (for only 5 of the films).

Stink year for reviews.

Same here :( I think there were possibly 3 or 4 school teams in our heat which might explain it... I have noticed the school teams don't really seem to do the review thing...

Scott Ransom
Since: May 2012

in reply to bexxgirl:

I've found the tone of reviews this year to be overall a little different. It's been interesting to read a few reviews of folks heading to multiple heats, which is good to get a feel of a particular reviewers view of many different films from different heats rather just have one or two people review all for a particular region. It's good to see folks taking time to view other heats!

Going back to this year's character though... I feel we found an opportunity to use the character as part of the situation our characters were in... whereas with other years we were quite stumped with getting a character's trait into the film and felt it to be a bit tacked on (the fabricator will haunt me for years!). I feel the best way to do those traits is when it is part of the story and we can see those traits informing the story's momentum, rather than a character taking the time to label someone as a thing. I guess it all comes down to how much time you spend at the beginning of the competition figuring that out before moving ahead with your plans!

Noise and Pictures 2014 - Rubble | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2013 - Gift-Wrapped | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2012 - Brains? | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2011 - Super Self Me | Actor, Co-Writer
Noise and Pictures 2010 - Bottle 'O Love | Actor, Co-Writer

Mista Teas

in reply to bexxgirl:

Stink year for reviews.

Once the Wellington films go to the Screening Room, I promise I'll do some.

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Rosie Alldridge
Since: Apr 2014

We kept calling our character Morgan Freeman instead of Morgan Foster... so many takes!!

Paulette
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to CraigWB:

golden I misspelt names as well but ours are on the film titles