VF48Hours Forum

Ness Patea
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

Hi All,
We spent a lot of time and had some good discussions choosing the genres and elements this year, you may have noticed that we dropped the 'themes', had no character, prop or line of dialogue. I am curious how you found this year elements' - door-slamming, puddle and silhouette/shadow. Also, tell me about your genre and how that worked out.

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

steelpotato
Since: Apr 2011

We've seen time and time again that adding complexity to the requirements just screws over teams.

Completely understand why the themes were dumped after 1 year.

As much as I think the example films should be dumped they at least give some frame of reference to teams that would otherwise be lost on non-mainstream genres, see: juvenile delinquent, grindhouse, back from the dead etc.

Still funny though that the hive mentality came through this year with so many A QUIET PLACE (monster), HER (techno-thriller) and BAD TASTE (splatstick) homages without those actually being examples :)

CraigWB

I don’t know about everyone else but I sort of miss the line of dialogue requirement. It was kind of fun to find the right way to place it in the script as well as think of a creative way to use it.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

This isn't really related to elements, but I wish we could get rid of the "you can't upload until the national finalists are announced" rule. I get why it's there, but it suuuuuch a long time to wait when every video in a small city is a finalist so you have to wait for the announcement, and then no Taranaki films end up in the screening room because everyone's forgotten about it by the time they're allowed to upload.

I think everyone should be able to upload their films after their city final has happened. By then, if there's been heats and a final, or just a sold out final like Taranaki and BOP had, then a couple of hundred people have seen the film already anyway. Ones in the screening room at the moment that were some of the first to go in there (DQs and early city final announcements) have had 100, maybe a couple of hundred views some of the more talked about ones. If they all got uploaded around now at the same time, after the city finals instead of several weeks from now and several weeks ago, I think it would concentrate the screening room and review giving vibe a bit more and they would have only a handful of extra views each really. Then you just temporarily get the national finalists to take their videos down/make them private once they're announced until after the final.

Oh on the reviews note, I love seeing that some of the other city managers are reviewing films... I reckon it would be good to have the reviews thing pushed strongly in general with the competition. I reckon it's a pretty key aspect of the increase in the quality of films over time for those who read them. I've been pushing for weeks to encourage people to sign up for reviews site in prep for our screening last night, and to write some reviews, but there's always only a handful of folks who do anyway, lol.

2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2013: MIA
2012: MIA
2011: MIA
2010: MIA
2009: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Rastinha:

I wish we could get rid of the "you can't upload until the national finalists are announced" rule.

Yeah, I wonder if a few minor tweaks could be done to this. For one thing, maybe advise all teams to upload their film to YouTube/Vimeo immediately after the shoot weekend, but have it set as private. That way, when they get the all-clear, it's just a simple change of setting, rather than someone having to find the original file again weeks or even months later.

The other issue with no uploads rule is that is suppresses informed discussion of the relative merits of the films in contention. I mean, imagine if no one saw more than one or two of the Academy Award Best Picture nominees in advance of the ceremony? That would make for a pretty boring conversation. It would be great to see more passionate debate among the community about the contenders, really get people excited about the horserace of it, the way many do about sports. This issue is particularly bad for the Nationals, where the gap between seeing the finalists for the first time and hearing the results is so short that I've barely had any time to process what I've seen before it's all over.

Of course, if I understand correctly, at least part of the reason for the no uploads rule is to encourage people to buy tickets to the events (heats, city finals, national finals) themselves - is that right? Still I wonder, if this is the case, has any research like an attendee survey ever been done to figure out whether having seen all/some of the films beforehand would have affected their choice to come?

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

toowit toowoo

^ This

It's also always kind of awkward at the grand finals when the non-finalist award nominees come up and most people don't clap. Partly because they don't know if that film was good, but mostly because when people see a new film they want to listen to it too. Imagine if everyone at the grand finals had seen the non-finalist nominees online and could actually cheer for their favourites instead of sitting in confused silence.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

toowit toowoo

I just reread what I wrote and think it is already ok to upload by the point I am describing, but by then a lot of the 48 hours hype has died down. It's a tough balancing act for sure.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

themorgan

48hours shorts play completely differently in front of an audience on a cinema screen than they do on a laptop or TV. This isn't a YouTube or online film festival. I know it's hard for most people to get to more than their own heat, but them's the breaks.

(And you really should applaud even if you don't know a short, or if you do know it and don't like it, because you know for damn sure that people who didn't especially like your short clapped for you.)

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | TBD
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | Late & Bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Bad!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to themorgan:

48hours shorts play completely differently in front of an audience on a cinema screen than they do on a laptop or TV.

Yeah, but the vaaaast majority of 48ers will be watching the grand final literally on a laptop or a TV, that's why I'm saying let everyone upload after their city final is done. At least with the announcement today we only have to wait 3 days after the Auckland city final to get grand final nominees, but that's still 22ish days after the first city's final (smaller regions where people are less involved in the whole process anyway), so a lot of those folks will probably have lost a bit of interest or not upload their films etc. by that stage, since all of them were city finalists too with no heats.

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that there would be a lot of people who attend the grand final that would then change their mind about going if the films had been in the screening room for a couple of weeks before the announcement and they'd seen some. Especially since before then none of us would know who the finalists were going to be, so the chances of having watched all 15 would be kind of slim.

2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2013: MIA
2012: MIA
2011: MIA
2010: MIA
2009: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

steelpotato

in reply to themorgan:

@themorgan yep it still is a cinema based competition and I completely agree with you - how the films play at the cinema should mean everything. unfortunately none of the Wellington judges other than the city managers came to the heats. I get prior commitments but basing the shortlist/regional final/grand final selections on home viewing alone seems weird to me...

TheNimbleMarmoset

Okay, so what if, when the national finalists are announced, those films are made available for viewing online for a short period... 48 hours perhaps? (Midnight to midnight two nights later would have a nice feel about it.) After that, they get taken down again, until after the National Finals has happened. A brief 48-hour availability period would be long enough for the insiders in the competition to see them and get excited, start talking and debating, but short enough that a lot of people (including the general public, by and large) still won't have seen them.

A slight variation on this would be doing short 48-hour releases for the films in three groups of five films, so six days in total. This way it might be a more manageable number of films for those following to watch in a 48-hour period.

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

themorgan

in reply to steelpotato:

none of the Wellington judges other than the city managers came to the heats

That sucks. I have no idea if any/many judges made it to the Auckland heats, but it'd be a real shame if not.

We were dumbfounded by the audience response to our short this year, watching it in the theatre was totally, totally different to watching it any other way.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | TBD
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script

Fractured Radius

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to themorgan:

That sucks. I have no idea if any/many judges made it to the Auckland heats, but it'd be a real shame if not.

The international judges are even worse at turning up to the heats. Honestly, I don't know why they even keep them on, the slackers...

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

steelpotato

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Nice try but the films recommended for the grand final get recommended by the city managers...who have come to the heats :) (although my understanding is it would be incredibly rare for anything to be forwarded that didn't make a city's top 15)

Ness Patea

You have to remember that we have limited resources, we pick our judges for their professional experience and we are also looking for diversity. We appreciate their time and they give us their time for free. It's not easy for judges to make it to that amount of heats screenings. As city managers who attend all the heats to make the shortlist, we def. take note if the film is well-received in the cinema and I like to read the reviews too.

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

themorgan

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

The international judges are even worse at turning up to the heats. Honestly, I don't know why they even keep them on, the slackers...

You joke, but there is something to that. And aside from that problem, they also won't understand many of the references, archetypes, or probably even just our idioms. This isn't a problem for all shorts, but it might be quite a big problem for some (or it might be no problem, but as we never get any deep insight into the judging who can say).

Once upon a time having a bunch of flash international judges seemed to really increase the credibility of the comp, but I'm not sure that it's still very necessary.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | TBD

Fractured Radius

steelpotato

Thanks Ness, yeah I truly appreciate the judges putting in the hard work in all centres. Sorry for some of my negativity on here.

@themorgan I do believe there's been at least 3 kiwis on the panel for the grand final the last 2 years so that's something at least.

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to themorgan:

You joke, but there is something to that. And aside from that problem, they also won't understand many of the references, archetypes, or probably even just our idioms. This isn't a problem for all shorts, but it might be quite a big problem for some (or it might be no problem, but as we never get any deep insight into the judging who can say).

Once upon a time having a bunch of flash international judges seemed to really increase the credibility of the comp, but I'm not sure that it's still very necessary.

I've always seen the city-level and national-level competitions as largely unrelated, since the criteria for judging at least feels so different. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a curiosity of the way the whole comp is structured. In particular, it has often seemed that the city-level judging rewards good use of the elements and genre, whereas at the national level that stuff is kind of irrelevant, and they're seemingly just interested in the best films in terms of how they play external to the competition context.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Clayton Hiku

My two cents on this years Elements. I really liked the elements this year over last and have come around to how much better it is not hearing over and over the same line and same character name in every film. Subtle elements that can be done in a clever way or gently hidden in the background is much better and is creating far more high quality stand alone short films for sure.

My biggest suggestion is around Ultra. I enjoyed the challenge this year although it was one of those things where I was not prepared to be given a requirement that we might not have access to. ie Children and or animals. But the loose interpretation of that rule made up for that.

But what I would like to see in the future to continue doing Ultra is a Ultra nominee catergory at both National and Regional. If you take on the challenge and find it really messes you up then the pay off for that still is that it might still be in the top 5 out of the 10 ultra teams for your city and you might still get to be nominated for something even if you're now not a city finalist. I feel like there is a lot of talk about Vet teams needing to take on the Ultra Challenge and then once the comp is under way its never mentioned again except to announce the NATIONAL winner of it. A little more recognition would go a long way to keeping the VET teams motivated to take it on I believe (well..... it would for me anyway) :)

48 Hours
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300