48 Hours Forum

Ness Patea
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

Hi All,
We spent a lot of time and had some good discussions choosing the genres and elements this year, you may have noticed that we dropped the 'themes', had no character, prop or line of dialogue. I am curious how you found this year elements' - door-slamming, puddle and silhouette/shadow. Also, tell me about your genre and how that worked out.

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to steelpotato:

That's quite interesting AJ, because 'heist' also gives characters a theoretical desire right?

I would say, while both "Wish" and "Heist" give characters a desire, "Heist" seems to be more steeped in cliche.

As a team who got "Heist" I would agree with the steeped in cliche bit. We went around and around in circles for aaaaages with a million ideas that just all felt like they had already been done, or every other team with Heist would have thought of them too.

"Stealing diamonds! No, every heist is stealing diamonds or money. Make it trivial, like a worker who really wants some other person's donut out of the office fridge. No every non-diamond heist is literally that! Kids, heisting cookies from the cupboard, or money from their parents... IT'S ALL BEEN DONE!"

So out of frustration we turned it into a musical, lol. Because we came up with the title Heist School Musical and it seemed infinitely better than anything else we'd come up with so we came up with a story to fit, lol.

Heist is definitely more plot driven because it's the 'elaborate scheme to try to get the thing' that drives it, rather than the character's need as such. And singular character arcs are kind of easier to get bang for buck with in a 5 minute film I think.

We are guilty of using our puddle lazily as an opening shot, but in our defense we had better plans, but having to write songs (having never attempted a musical and with only one musician on the team who was also DOP and director) we couldn't start filming until 11pm saturday, and at 4am when we finally did our puddle shot it was raining heavily outside and too dark for most of my lenses to get the shot we actually wanted, haha.

So it is what it is but that's what 48s is all about when you're not a pro team right? :P

I do like that the "things" that have to be included are much less jarring this year. You don't really notice a bunch of puddles, shadows, and door slams in a row in the same way that you notice "Oh Harper Harrison, you're so thoughtless in the way that you're eating that bread!" "Oh really?" Haha.

2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2013: MIA
2012: MIA
2011: MIA
2010: MIA
2009: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Rastinha:

I do like that the "things" that have to be included are much less jarring this year. You don't really notice a bunch of puddles, shadows, and door slams in a row in the same way that you notice "Oh Harper Harrison, you're so thoughtless in the way that you're eating that bread!" "Oh really?" Haha.

I agree that all three elements this year were of the type that could just naturally fit into a wide range of cinematic contexts, which was great (but also could still be clever or showy if you wanted to use them that way too). That's a strong contrast with what I might argue was the single worst required element ever, last year's Wilhelm Scream, where outside of a handful of very specific contexts, it was almost impossible to make it feel like it belonged in the film.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

AJ

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

That's a strong contrast with what I might argue was the single worst required element ever, last year's Wilhelm Scream, where outside of a handful of very specific contexts, it was almost impossible to make it feel like it belonged in the film.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Wilhelm Scream because without it my film would't have had an ending (not a very good ending but an ending nonetheless).

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

jjosland
Since: May 2015

Perhaps a coincidence, but the 72hour horror film racing competition earlier in Match this year required a 'shadow' and 'a door opening'. Not promoting this competition, but rather just pointing out that we could have probably gotten away with submitting our entry for that with minor changes!

ANYWAY could the decision makers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider some really really exciting genres, like 80s Action Movie. I mention this each year that personally I prefer to indulge in an action spectacle, which I feel has the maximise the effect of having things displayed on a BIG SCREEN. Primarily, I crave visual feasts, rather than a traditional story arc.

The year with 'Grindhouse' as a genre produced some cool entries!

I really would like to see a year where teams are forced to dust off their mini-guns out from their hiding places.

Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

Searlo
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to jjosland:

I really would like to see a year where teams are forced to dust off their mini-guns out from their hiding places.

2019 Genre: Mad Scientist Back Catalogue Film.

That’d be rad. (Alternatively: the impersonating another team genre)

TBALC
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

Rastinha

I really loved the suggestion from last year's facebook vote-off on a new genre of "State sanctioned propaganda", I reckon that'd be cool.

Or like educational documentary or something random like that.

But overall the thing I'd like most is a feedback form that gets sent out after 7pm Sunday so I can give comprehensive and useful feedback, instead of it being combined with the online wrap form, because I'm really not going to waste 20-30 mins of my 48 hours right at the end when I want to get it in on time, but I always have lots to say, lol :P

2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

themorgan

Keep it simple and leave plenty of room for interpretation.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | TBD
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | Late & Bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Bad!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

DogsBreakfast

I still like the idea of combined genres, like space musical or science horror or even aerial dance just to really mix it up.

I kind of miss the traditional character and line of dialogue but am also quite enjoying this new format.

2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Rastinha:

I really loved the suggestion from last year's facebook vote-off on a new genre of "State sanctioned propaganda", I reckon that'd be cool.

Yeah, that's a fantastic genre idea. In fact, I think I'd take it one step further and structure it like Musical, i.e. "State Sanctioned Propaganda + any of the other genres". Like, it's a Horror about the evils of capitalism, or a Rom Com about how the love for an individual is less important than a love of country.

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Ness Patea

in reply to Rastinha:

We will be sending out a more general feedback survey a bit later probably at the end of the competition and we also read everyone's feedback on the forums too (so it is a good place to offer suggestions). Ruth and I are can also be contacted over emails.

We may not action everyone's suggestions but we always listen and discuss ideas/address complaints to keep improving the competition each year. It is good to keep in mind that the competition is a huge administration beast so we have to be realistic and keep to a budget but we do what we can!

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

jjosland
Since: May 2015

2019 Genre: Mad Scientist Back Catalogue Film.

Wow that would be liberating!

Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

zer05um

This year worked well, but I'd love to see the event outside the May - July window, just because we lose light so fast; goodness knows how Dunedin teams managed.

2018 [Auckland] Alt 3:57 Last Day On Earth | 3rd Place Audience Favourite
2017 [Auckland] Over-Wound Buddy / Sacrifice | Regional Nomination - Best Makeup.
2016 [Auckland] A Ripping Yarn Bro or Bechdel
2015 [Auckland] He's got the moves - Musical or Dance
2014 [Auckland] Decay Rate - Mistaken Identity
2013 [Auckland] Backup/Restore - Robots, Cyborgs & Androids
2012 [Auckland] Cherry Π - Romantic Comedy
2011 [Auckland] Things Best Forgotten - Mystery Not so much Late as completely absent...
2010 [Taranaki] Broken - Road Movie - Regional Prizes: Sound & Vision Sexiest Short | Most Realistic Moment
2009 [Hamilton] Te Hararei - Family Film - Te Reo Maori Language Film
2008 [Hamilton] 47:53:00 - Horror Late

Bloydd

On the "Genre +" suggestions, I think this is a great idea, worked well for Musical, added a new twist to something that's been in the comp almost every year.
I'd like to see this come back with a few of the less specific genres, the ones that kind of give you a framework, then combine it with something a bit more specific or tricky.

Could have for example:
Rom-Com +
Action +
Mystery +
etc etc

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA)
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

steelpotato

The international 48hours comps (not affiliated with HP/nz) have had combo genres for years. Randomly drawn too from memory.

Rastinha

What about a new tradition of putting 48 hours on daylight savings weekend in April? Y'know, so we can have *ahem* an extra hour sleep? :P

squire
Since: May 2013

As the guy who made the genre table in the 48 hours wikipedia entry,
I have struggled with genres and sub-genres too. And every year when I update it, I have to re-sort the genre table to try to squeeze the common duplicates into relevant columns.

You have the core genres like: Drama, Crime, RomCom, Horror, Action, SciFi.
Which actually are true genres.

But each year, we get a set of genres that aren't really genres.
I would call them more like "techniques" or "style" (for want of better words):

For example from past years: Converging Storyline, Film within a film, Single shot, Shock ending, Black comedy, Silent Movie

Musical should be in this second list too.

To this second list you can add some of this year's genres too:
back-from-the-dead, fish-outa-water. Maybe even Heist and spans-10-years.

Then, what you could do is to give each team a random base genre plus a random technique. Or even two techniques...

Action + Silent movie
Musical + Back-from-the-dead + Rom-Com
Single-shot + Shock-ending + Drama
SciFi + Black Comedy + Heist

Too prescriptive?

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines

AJ

in reply to squire:

OMG IT'S YOU!?!
Seriously the identity of the Wikipedia page editor was one of the biggest unsolved 48 mysteries, because it was no one on staff and it's been an insanely helpful resource lol.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Andrew Todd

in reply to squire:

Too prescriptive?

Adding three things on top of one another would be *utterly bonkers*. I personally also profoundly disagree with your definition of what is and isn't a genre...

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2018 - Poutine Wolf - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - TBALC - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up, Chch winner)
2008 - TBALC - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - TBALC - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

squire
Since: May 2013

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Three maybe bonkers :).
But two would work. A staple genre and a sub-genre or technique (or trope).

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to squire:

Then, what you could do is to give each team a random base genre plus a random technique. Or even two techniques...

Action + Silent movie
Musical + Back-from-the-dead + Rom-Com
Single-shot + Shock-ending + Drama
SciFi + Black Comedy + Heist

Too prescriptive?

For my tastes, I would say yes, too prescriptive - I suspect it would end up feeling more like a blazing hoop to jump through, rather than a genuinely helpful enabling constraint to guide a team's creativity.

On top of that, I think part of the joy of the competition is in seeing the unexpected ways that teams interpret a genre. If someone got Action as their genre, and decided to embrace the genre but in the format of a silent film, that would be very cool. But if they had been given Action + Silent Film then it would be more a case of "oh well, they just did what they were told to do".

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS