VF48Hours Forum

Ness Patea
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

Hi All,
We spent a lot of time and had some good discussions choosing the genres and elements this year, you may have noticed that we dropped the 'themes', had no character, prop or line of dialogue. I am curious how you found this year elements' - door-slamming, puddle and silhouette/shadow. Also, tell me about your genre and how that worked out.

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

We liked the openness of the elements this year.
Ultra was a nice switch too.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

steelpotato

So many "is that it??" looks at the launch haha. Also loved the lack of restriction :)

dramamike

Glad to have dodged anti romcom. That sounds tough

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

steelpotato

Time Travel was a gift given our practice runs were sci fi lol

Scott Doar
Since: Sep 2016

Or producer informed us on Saturday morning that he had told us it was slapstick instead of splatstick.... Luckily we had coincidently gone down the splatstick route. So yea genre wants too hard but the ultra part wasn't easy but ultimately made it a better film.

2018 Jovial Entertainment: "Daddys Little Angel"
2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2016 Jovial Entertainment: "Munchies" (audience favorite) Auckland
2015 Jovial Entertainment: "Perp" Auckland
2014 Stampede Tiddlywinks "Date Time" Auckland
2012 Stampede Tiddlywinks: "Poolside story" Auckland
2011 Team Bella: "Wire" (best art direction and some other stuff) Hamilton
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton
2009 Go gecko: ....pass Hamilton

Andrew Todd

Great genres, great elements this year. Ultra was terrific and I'm bummed I won't get to see the probably wild array of films the genres will generate.

I also think we made the least 48hoursy film I've made so far in the comp, and the elements were a great help towards that.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

DogsBreakfast

I liked it, despite the shock of 'what am I missing' thinking there was some key info I hadn't heard.

We ended up with Wish Movie - we went in so many directions with it but ended up really pushing the barriers so will be interesting to see how it's received.

As a duo, Lego animation team the ultra side of things seemed easy enough at first but then it was like, no, wait can't do that. Again, we're pushing the barriers so who knows.

Do enjoy this comp and I love that you're keeping it fresh

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

themorgan

in reply to dramamike:

Glad to have dodged anti romcom. That sounds tough

We copped that and we did Ultra. Anti-romcom with child or animal as lead character. Decent sort of a challenge. Would have been a hard genre for us even without that because neither of us likes romcoms or anti-romcoms in the slightest and had never watched any of the example films. :)

I thought the elements were a really solid change up.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Bloydd

The genres were great I thought! They were all just slightly more specific than usual, and leaned towards the ones I tend to be more interested in.

As for Ultra, I have mixed feelings again. Thought it was a huge step up from last year, but the clarifications of "every main character must be a child or animal" I think muddied the water a bit, but I enjoyed discussing with other competitors as to which films would count and which wouldn't. The fact that there was such an argument kind of speaks to the fact of what a challenge it was.

I will say however that this year's Ultra, giving us more of an idea of what kind of thing Ultra could be going forward has informed my decision that I likely won't be doing it again next year.
I initially saw Ultra as an obligation for veteran teams, but now I think of it more like in a year when maybe I've assembled a bigger team or feel more prepared than usual that I might sign up for an extra bit of a challenge. I personally feel like I might want to take a break next year and just do a more traditional 48.

I do like the idea of the comp having an optional "Hard Mode" and this year was leaps & bounds better than last year's introduction to Ultra.

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Mista Teas

I love that the required elements are now very different every year. So there may have only been three but you just don't know what you'll get. Much better than the standard character/line/prop/tech of pre 2017. What excites me is that next year you might get a line of dialogue as one of the elements or maybe there will be five to do. It just opens up more possibilities & keeps us guessing.

I thought the range of genre was good - plenty for everyone and some real challenging ones. Good that with musical you got the bonus of choosing from one of the other genre. Possibility helped with focus?

Ultra. Better than last year. I've always had a few U18s available for the weekend if I ever needed to make a teen or kid (was never going to use animals) centric film so it wasn't too much of a stretch at all. All main characters being U18 caused a rethink which we believe improved our film. So a pass mark for Ultra without it inspiring us too much and I'll probably do it next year even though I'll resist from signing up for as long as possible.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

Last year was of course the bigger change, elements-wise, although this year, I feel that the balance was much better (in 2017 the themes thing was kind of wishy-washy, and if you already had women in your team then featuring "a female" almost went without saying).

I'm actually only now finally reading through the full list of genres, and I reckon it's one of the more interesting selections I've seen in recent years of the comp. My team this year got The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years for our genre, and that led us to make a type of film that probably would have never occurred to me had it not been for the genre's guidance, so that's cool.

Thinking back on the traditional elements, I think my favourite was probably Character, since it encouraged the story to be somewhat shaped by character traits/choices rather than characters being just along for the ride on a series of plot points. But maybe that one aside, I guess I'm not too sad about what we don't have anymore.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

themorgan

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

I'm actually only now finally reading through the full list of genres, and I reckon it's one of the more interesting selections I've seen in recent years of the comp.

If the suggestion on one of the big sponsor screens at the launch was to be taken at face value then I think the folks at Letterboxd sorted the genres, and they're top people who love films, and include several former 48hours contestants.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script

Fractured Radius

AJ

in reply to themorgan:

The genres were actually decided by us city managers- glad they've had such an interesting response.
Though for the record I am also a top person who loves films, and am a former 48hours contestant.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Ness Patea

This is great to hear all your feedback, we do our best to make the competition the best that we can and changing things up adds to the feeling of anticipation leading up to 7 pm. What we didn't expect is the range of questions we got on Friday night, questions we couldn't have imagined would come up.

ULTRA has a mixed reaction, I always think of it as a make it or break it scenario - but as with all restrictions it forces creative thinking. The Animation ULTRA teams had it easy - although doing an animation isn't easy in 48hours, so it's still hard!

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

Andrew Todd

in reply to Ness Patea:

What we didn't expect is the range of questions we got on Friday night, questions we couldn't have imagined would come up.

These always fascinated me when I was running things. Very curious to know what people asked this year.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

Another thought re: the 'traditional' required elements (character/line/prop) versus the newer, changing-it-up model - it always used to be a rarity for a 48hours film, even a really good one, to play as a coherent short film independent of the competition. I think the presence of the required elements was a part of that, and I wonder if the slightly looser parameters have made it more common to see 48hours films that wouldn't feel out of place in a film festival. Either that, or we're just all getting better at making films...

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

themorgan

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

it always used to be a rarity for a 48hours film, even a really good one, to play as a coherent short film independent of the competition

Yes, with some films you'd just cringe from shoehorned caricature to shoehorned line and then maybe a can of V, and then some mug would hold up the required prop (banana, say) while telling the shoehorned in caricature that "oh you're such a perfectionist" (or what-have-you). Much better now, but I'm very happy if they keep us on our toes and just keep doing whatever feels right, if that means doing what happened this year for a few years then great, or if it means it's a different set of elements every year then great.

The elements aren't about fucking the shorts up, they're about making sure the short is made, to the greatest extent possible, during the 48 hours of the comp, all the way from conception on up. There is no fucking need to have a character called "Gnarly Watson" (I know that's going back in time a long way) just to enforce that.

Anyway, like I said, I reckon it's much better now.

Frauleins, oh frauleins

Fractured Radius

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Ness Patea:

Ness - The Animation ULTRA teams had it easy

Nope. Not for us. Lego animals are for the most part solid and children are rare so we had to push the boundaries to make something. Had to throw out so many ideas and part scripts because we couldn’t animate them in the time we had. As it was my partner was driving all over Auckland on Saturday buying characters from TradeMe so we had enough to use.

That being said, we still handed in on time

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

I thought the list of genres was great. I love the "interesting" genres and this year's list was mostly interesting ones. We got Heist, which I feel is a bit hard in the sense that most heist stories could be feature films, which doesn't work for a short film, but it was really hard to come up with "trivial heists" so to speak, that would fit in a short film, that didn't feel like literally everyone else would have thought of exactly those things (kids heisting from parents, heisting after someone else's lover) etc. etc.

But that being said, we were happy with our idea in the end, and it was WAAAAY better than Alien movie, because that's much more of a trope than a genre, and directs your story heaps, so heist felt a lot more flexible.

I thought it was nice writing for the elements this year, seemed quite open, but also once I got them home and starting brainstorming, rather than an action, a technical element, and a thing, it just felt like 3 "things" to include? But still, just enough to mean you have to make the film in 48 hours so maybe that's perfectly fine :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

binocularbath
Since: May 2018

Yep, im into it. Loved the themes or rather lack of. Genres were awesome.

I do have one question, would you consider putting a guide together for adding the short films to TMDB so we can access them on sites like letterboxd.