VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Feed for this Topic

Heats in smaller cities

Hey folks,

I just had a few thoughts about the heats in smaller cities and was wondering what others thought I guess. I've been entering in Taranaki for the past 5 years (used to be in Auckland), and there have always been heat(s) until this year. We only had 17 teams which was a bit disappointing in general I guess, but I think 20 is now the threshold to be given heats?

I really enjoy having the heats, and in previous years when Taranaki had low numbers we just had 1 heat for all of the films to be screened. The heats roll around sooner than the city finals, so it keeps the momentum up. The teams get more free tickets so it's easier to bring your whole team and/or some support crew with you to share your film with since you can't show anybody else until after the national finalists are announced, and not everybody wants to pay for a ticket to come see your film, haha.

I also think it gives a little goal for the teams in smaller regions. We typically have less film making talent to pull teams from compared to bigger centers, so films don't make it to the national stage that often. So making a film with the mini goal of getting to be a regional finalist, and/or just audience favorite, is good motivation. It's nice having finals to aim for, and if you don't get there one year, trying for it the next. I can understand with low numbers that it's a bit stink if only 3 or 5 teams don't get to be finalists though, so I can see that side of it, but in a bigger city it would be most of us missing out.

I also think it's good for encouraging people to write reviews, as a lot of teams in the small regions are newer teams and maybe don't come on the website a lot, so you get a chance to encourage that more than once.

Any other thoughts from smaller city folks? Maybe it's just me, lol :P

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

steppenwolf
Since: Jun 2013

So the only films that will be screened publicly in Taranaki are those that make the final? that's a shame if I'm reading that right - the heats are a great (for many the only) opportunity to see their work on the big screen, which i reckon is a pretty big part of the comp. it also means fewer reviews, not as many opportunities to foster a sense of community etc. etc.

Ham East Bad Boys // Kirikiriroa 2016-
DAMN HELL ASS KINGS // P┼Źneke 2012-2015

themorgan
Since: Apr 2011

it's a bit stink if only 3 or 5 teams don't get to be finalists though

I take your point, and with so few teams excluded I think you're right they should just play all of them.

But when you're battling in the absolute bloodbath of the Auckland comp it kind of hurts to see regions where if you enter you're just about guaranteed to be a "finalist" almost no matter what you deliver. We're going to see somewhere between 180 and 190 teams miss out this year.

I did a quick back of an envelope calculation and the game is something like 1300% harder here than in the smallest region - and that's just on numbers alone and ignoring that there are so many teams populated with talented professionals that make TV and movies for a living here (which is perhaps even more true of Wellington even if their overall numbers are a tiny bit lower), which makes it even harder than the numbers would suggest. Youch.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Rastinha

in reply to steppenwolf:

So the only films that will be screened publicly in Taranaki are those that make the final?

Ok so I think they actually just make all of the films finalists, so they all still screen which is good as everyone should get to see their films on the big screen, but then you run into the problem that morgan mentions:

But when you're battling in the absolute bloodbath of the Auckland comp it kind of hurts to see regions where if you enter you're just about guaranteed to be a "finalist" almost no matter what you deliver.

Where this means that literally no matter what you produce in the small regions with no heats you can literally put your film up with the city finalist badge, as long as you weren't DQ'd. I entered in Auckland for the first 3 years I did it and you're right that it is completely different to doing it in a smaller region.

I still think I prefer having heats so everyone's films can be screened and then a paring down to final 12 as city finalists so that at the very least there's something to aim for (1-2 shots at audience favorite and trying to make top 12 rather than getting there by default). And if we get 19 some year, 19x 5 minute films in a row will be quite a challenge to sit through. 17 will be challenging enough, to remember what was what in order to write reviews for them.

There's an extra challenge that seems to come from being in Taranaki though, which is an advantage that Auckland etc. have and that's that we struggle to get judges who work in film. I had a look through the judging lists and AK/Welly have some world class people and like 8 or so of them who are all involved in film making type stuff, maybe 1 actor or 2. Taranaki has 1 actor, 1 story writer, 2 district councillors and Miss Taranaki 2016 as judges.

I fully appreciate them giving their time for the comp, and how hard it must be to find people who want to volunteer their time for this kind of thing, but it is 2018 so you'd think they could level the playing fields between regions a bit by distributing the judges more evenly and using the magic of technology to let them collaborate remotely (like some of the other judges who are based in LA etc.). We've lost some teams over the years from being a bit dissatisfied with the judging locally, and while I super super appreciate the judges and organisers efforts it feels like a little more help from HQ for the regions could make the comp a bit more equitable between regions.

It's good that city winners don't just go through to the finals though, because that would be much worse for all the other really good teams in the big centers! :)

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

Rastinha

Oops wanted to add also that I appreciate all the hard work that goes in from HQ too! It must be hard for them, and it's frustrating that sponsorship and funding and things for film and other artistic endeavors is really hard to come by here in NZ. 48 Hours is the only thing we've really got for budding through amateur through pro filmmakers all together since Tropfest lost sponsorship. So thanks to everyone who does stuff, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, just reflecting :)

ruth
Since: May 2011

Hi all, we made the decision this year to just have a single screening event for Taranaki - we ran a similar thing in the Bay of Plenty last year and they are also doing it again this year - the reality is that in the smaller regions with less than 20 entries it makes more sense to have a single screening event in terms of time and costs. We're always keen for feedback about how it goes though.

Rastinha

Cheers Ruth, can definitely see pros and cons both ways. Obviously the bigger issue/goal is trying to drum up more teams in the smaller regions so we have enough for heats no question, and to keep the momentum going :)