VF48Hours Forum

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Heat Observations/Trends/Drinking game?

What trends/points-of-interest are you noticing in the screenings? Discuss!

After one night of CHCH heats a few stand out for me after some initial thinking:

- a lack of team intros. I know it was optional but it felt like most opted out.
- poor use of the Wilhelm Scream. Often shoe-horned in at the end for no reason or its use caused a serious moment to turn comedic.
- crazy person in the audience laughing at everything (this person never dies!)
- people coming in late. One guy came in late, sat down, decided he wanted to shift, got up, squeezed in front of me causing me to stand, then, during the last film moved again by jumping over seats to be in prime position to get past me again immediately as the film finished. Is suppose if ya gotta go, you gotta go!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

AJ
Since: May 2011

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Every time you see a V can, finish your V.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Andrew Todd

in reply to AJ:

Every time you see a V can, finish your V.

Recipe for death in 5 minutes, in some cases.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Cardinal

in reply to Sam Spooner:

I think it maybe the worst implemented requirement ever.

Haven't been able to make it to heats (boo-urns), but while this may be true, I think it's also one of the least versatile (if not THE least versatile) required elements yet. I mean it's not something like "Electronic Beep Number 8", it's an iconic attention grabber that is now basically a massive film in-joke. So your choices were basically:

1) Have it as an in-universe sound. As Alex and Marmoset have pointed out, if your film is a serious or suspenseful one, the Wilhelm-Scream-as-actual-scream kills that stone dead, if even for a moment. It's just too cliched/comedy a noise now. If you're making a comedy film, it could probably be a pretty good gag with the right use, but it's still someone screaming. Could you use it for something that is *not* a scream, e.g. a creaky door opening or something weird? Maybe (I'm sure many teams did), but again I'm not sure it doesn't just bring whatever your film is up to screeching to a halt. So if these won't work in your film anywhere you are left with;

2) Have it as an in-universe *sound effect*, e.g TV in the background, text noise. Not so front and centre, plus more believable (for real-world set films anyway) in that a famous, recognisable sound effect appears in context *as* a sound effect, not a a sound. But not a lot of wide scope here again, and thus probably the sheer number of ringtones.

So I don't think it was an easy one to use inventively, although I'm sure some teams out there have managed to do it and can prove me wrong. I guess the other approach would be to make it barely audible under some other noise(s) for box-ticking purposes, but that sort of thing feels like a bit of a cheat.

AJ

in reply to Cardinal:

Part of me wanted to include a Pulp-Fiction-Quarter-Pounder-with-Cheese conversation about the Wilhelm scream, just so the film would still feel like it could stand up outside the competition.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

steelpotato

Drink every time someone stabs someone with a knife.

AJ

in reply to steelpotato:

I do this in real life, it's the only way to cope with the misery.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

themorgan

Who completely forgot to pay attention to collisions and smash cuts when watching? Or was it just me?

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Vincent_Vega

I dropped the Wilhelm Scream into one of my shorts 9 years ago. This is not relevant to this years conversation, but I always enjoyed it.

2005 Team Sytec - Camp Akiliya
2006 Team Sytec - Malice in Wonderland
2007 Team Red Apple - Reservoir Cats
2008 Team Red Apple - The Rotten Apples
2011 Team Red Apple - An Axe to Grind
2012 Team Red Apple - Power to Survive
2013 Team Red Apple - Ramen on Empty
2014 Team Red Apple - Tortured Through Time
2015 Team Red Apple - Tit for Tat

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

A couple of trends in Taranaki were:
- People being hit by cars (collisions, must have been 4-5 of these, which is a lot out of like... 17 films)
- Little swirly fairy dust like VFX when magic things happen.
- Montages
- Wilhelm scream feeling out of place, lol.
- New teams and school teams (I think we had 8/19 teams were school teams that registered) which is great :)

I wasn't a huge fan of the Wilhelm scream as a sound effect, just because it really was hard to put it in seamlessly. And it just got more and more comical every time you heard it when you were watching 10 films in a row, no matter what the feeling of the film was. I would have preferred "a scream" so you could make it match your story better, especially if you cast "a female" as your lead and had no reason to have some other random male scream (since it's a male voice).

We got creative and did some layering with out editing to try to make it fit better. We're guilty of the collision with a random extra gig, haha, but I wanted a cameo :P Nah we tried to use several collisions just in case anything ended up on the cutting room floor.

This year we took some risks ourselves, we have been a team of 2 for the past 3 years, and we've filmed exclusively inside our house. We added 2 more actors we met a couple of months ago and also went and filmed out at a proper location (restaurant) instead of trying to make the dining room look like one. We also made a serious film instead of a light-hearted comedy, and stretched the genre as far as we could.

I was apprehensive about all of that change, but we wrapped at 5:30pm Sat instead of 3:30am Sunday so I was pretty happy with that, haha.

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

Well, we got the Horror-Comedy genre, which is pretty much custom-made for having a Wilhelm scream in it - so I feel like we got off lightly there!

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

AJ

in reply to Jay Baker:

Well, we got the Horror-Comedy genre, which is pretty much custom-made for having a Wilhelm scream in it

Now that's an interesting discussion. Which genres this year could easily justify the wilhelm scream?

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Thanks. I'm glad you liked our use of the sound effect. I find the element thing so hard to think of something that everyone isn't going to think of too. I thought TV sound effect would be obvious but perhaps wasn't. Ringtone never occurred to me. But it's weird like that. The year we used a meatball for a ball I thought that was clever until the 3rd film of our heat used a meatball as well and I realized it wasn't. It's almost like everyone is going to try and think of something clever and whatever the first 5 clever things you come up with are will be what everyone uses. If you can come up with 5 more you may have a winner. Otherwise go for the obvious as most people won't do it because they think "everyone will use that! It's too obvious"

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

in reply to AJ:

Now that's an interesting discussion. Which genres this year could easily justify the wilhelm scream?

I feel like there were plenty this year where it could fit fairly seamlessly - Alien, Bad Seed, Horror Comedy, Supernatural, Survival, Z-Grade...even Science-Fiction. And Christmas movies make me want to scream too :-)

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

Sam Page
Since: Jun 2017

All this hate for one goofy scream?

I made a film of very questionable quality* but I think the scream was integrated quite cleanly. When you layer it with other screams it is distinguishable but really not that out of place.

It stands out so much less than hearing about a character called "Charlie Flowers" 12 films in a row, in previous years that has really taken me out of most films. Maybe this wouldn't be the case for an audience members who haven't been involved in producing a film but still.

*I had Z Grade so that's fine...

AJ

in reply to Sam Page:

It stands out so much less than hearing about a character called "Charlie Flowers" 12 films in a row

This is true, though I'd argue it's easier to hide a character's name than it is a gawky sound effect, and you can interperet character traits in a lot more ways than the Wilhelm Scream.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

ruth

After 8 Wellington heats we had a few trends:

This year everyone filmed in interesting locations - lots of outdoors and variation. THANK YOU!

Most of the teams killed off their characters - Wellington was pretty much a river of blood - especially the earlier heats - lots of stabbing and lots of smashing people with rocks.

Christmas films all went really dark - evil trees, murder, human dolls...

We did have a couple of Weekend at Bernies too.

And the Wilhelm ring tone appeared quite a bit too.

We were pretty impressed overall though - technical quality just keeps going up and it was great to see how many teams did original scores this year.

fakenews
Since: Aug 2017

i thought everyone in heat 1 i saw used the wilhelm scream really well, and it wasn't such an eye-rolling experience as i expected after all the whinge-ing on here - so there :P

ps. being accused of "faux z-grade" in reviews =) ... that's a funny thing... how does one make a "genuine" z-grade film - without being aware you've been asked to make a z-grade film (?) ... guess I ain't no natural born Tommy Wiseau

Mista Teas

in reply to fakenews:

ps. being accused of "faux z-grade" in reviews =) ... that's a funny thing... how does one make a "genuine" z-grade film - without being aware you've been asked to make a z-grade film (?) ... guess I ain't no natural born Tommy Wiseau

It's an interesting one. It is a slight issue that I have with how this genre is applied by teams. My argument is that these films should be serious film-making efforts and that they shouldn't come across as intentionally bad as that wasn't the intent of directors such as Ed Wood. It's just that they were inept. So it's tricky - you've got to be subtle enough that it doesn't feel forced (oh, I did that actual bad focus/cut on purpose) while still applying some of those exact tropes associated with Z-grade. Remember that the term Z-grade was something applied to this type of film years after they were made. So the film, in my eyes, shouldn't come across as self-aware. Not easy. I think "Dystography" in CHCH achieved this which probably contradicts my review of their film.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

fakenews

in reply to Mista Teas:

I have it! when you find out you got z-grade... immediately contact a really bad director and crew, and employ them to make an earnest film with no idea why... and then submit whatever they come up with

fakenews

in reply to fakenews:

pps... we had genuine side-splitting fun making our entry - cheap fx / boom shadows / at one point a random citizen walked in the background of a shot and i nearly wet myself at the irony - now i regret i didn't put that shot in - it was the epitome of z-grade... sigh