VF48Hours 2020 Forum

weebey
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Hamilton discussions

What are people's thoughts on the Hamilton section this year ?

I went to the Friday heats and there were some pretty good films in there. Some new teams coming through plus some good stuff from the returning teams. Looks like everyone had fun.

Should be a good city final

Captain sensible
Since: Sep 2017

Congratulations to all those that made it! 48 hours is called a challenge for good reason, and you should all be proud. I also want to send an additional congratulations to TAC studios for their Z Grade zombie Nazis from space film which I thought was terrific and spot on for the genre they were challenged with. You might not have made the finalists; but that doesn't mean that those of us in opposing unconnected teams didn't see your efforts and recognise them as awesome.

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

in reply to Captain sensible:

send an additional congratulations to TAC studios for their Z Grade zombie Nazis from space film

Totally agree - I think these guys are very unlucky not to make the final, I thought they were brilliant!

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

weebey

Is there a good mix of the genres ?

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

Unbelievably, each of the top 10 have a different genre!

steppenwolf
Since: Jun 2013

Going to take this last opportunity before the final for a whinge:
Whitiora Bad Boys are nominated for best direction, cinematography, script, score, original song & make-up but aren't in the top 10. It rubs me the wrong way that our effort is considered to be amongst the best in these "big" categories but the film as a whole doesn't make the cut. I'm gutted because ultimately the biggest reward is getting the film seen by people, and while a few dozen will undoubtedly check it out in the screening room, it's nothing compared to having a cinema audience see it alongside a variety of other shorts made by our neighbours.

Ham East Bad Boys // Kirikiriroa 2016-
DAMN HELL ASS KINGS // Pōneke 2012-2015

AJ

in reply to steppenwolf:

We've all been there before brother, 48hours can be a harsh mistress.
My advice would be to channel all that rage and anger into knocking it out of the park next year ;)

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

weebey

Yeh, thats pretty much all of the big sections. Im not sure how the wildcard selections are made but it might be good to hold off submitting it into the screening room just in case ?

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

in reply to steppenwolf:

Going to take this last opportunity before the final for a whinge:

But wait, there is still another opportunity! Come on down to Good Neighbor tonight for pre-finals drinks and in-depth judging dissection :-)

Details (such as they are) on the 48HoursHamilton facebook page

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

steppenwolf
Since: Jun 2013

Thanks Alex- it's the inconsistency of it that's bugging me this time. I never expect anything from the comp except exhaustion on the weekend and memories of a good time in retrospect. It's always one of the highlights of the year.

And unfortunately I'm in Paihia (that's not unfortunate at all) so I won't be able to make the drinks, Jay. Have a good night everyone - good luck to all the finalists!

Edit: weebey- it won't be on the screening room for a while cos I won't be back in Hamilton for a few weeks and the only copy's on my computer!

Ham East Bad Boys // Kirikiriroa 2016-
DAMN HELL ASS KINGS // Pōneke 2012-2015

weebey

How did the finals go ? I wasn't able to make it. Was the standard really good?

Scott Doar
Since: Sep 2016

T'was an awesome night. All the films were great and considerably better than the last hamilton finals i went to (like 5 years ago) I was a bit gutted that a couple of the films that got lots of nominations did not play. i really wanted to see the one that won best collision. overall good effort hamilton and fingers crossed a couple of them make it into the grand finals.

2018 Jovial Entertainment: "Daddys Little Angel"
2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2016 Jovial Entertainment: "Munchies" (audience favorite) Auckland
2015 Jovial Entertainment: "Perp" Auckland
2014 Stampede Tiddlywinks "Date Time" Auckland
2012 Stampede Tiddlywinks: "Poolside story" Auckland
2011 Team Bella: "Wire" (best art direction and some other stuff) Hamilton
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton
2009 Go gecko: ....pass Hamilton