VF48Hours 2020 Forum

weebey
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Hamilton discussions

What are people's thoughts on the Hamilton section this year ?

I went to the Friday heats and there were some pretty good films in there. Some new teams coming through plus some good stuff from the returning teams. Looks like everyone had fun.

Should be a good city final

Captain sensible
Since: Sep 2017

I went to those heats as well. I think the voting for heat 3 was seriously skewed by the size of some of the attending teams; but c'est la vie. favourites for heat 4 looked about right. What happened to the team captain votes that jake was collating?

Captain sensible

Just to clarify; I'm not suggesting dishonesty on the part of any of the voting team members but pointing out that there is an inherent problem with voting from a group that has unequal representation. The problem would be just as bad if team members were barred from voting for their own films. Any group which makes up a percentage of the voting pool and has shared knowledge and inclination is a problem. 20% of an audience unable to vote for a film which may happen to be the best is as bad as 20% inclined to vote for a film that is not the best due to shared enthusiasm and pre-existing understanding of plots. The least vulnerable system is voting by teams so you have an equal voting pool to candidate entries, as no one is advantaged or disadvantaged by team numbers..... I amaze myself how boring I am sometimes!!!

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

Surprisingly not too much *overall* difference between the audience and the single vote from team leader (/team - I figured it would be a "team" vote). Let me ruminate, cogitate, speculate and deliberate.

HereForTheBeer
Since: Jul 2011

Excuse me while I go off on a bit of a tangent for a minute;
This is why I don't care too much for the audience favourite votes. My team consisted of 2 people this year, and we couldn't make it to the heats. In previous years, there have been big teams of 10+ people who have most likely (and quite understandably) all voted for themselves.

Idea for next year: max 3 people per team can vote for audience fave. Or have a single team vote.

I know audience fave doesn't have much bearing on the competition as a whole, but it's nice to win it.

2017 - Either Way
2016 - The Game
2015 - Blurred Lines - (Best acting nominee)
2014 - Rosco - (City Finalist, audience fave, etc)
2013 - Sleep My Pretty (Best Editing nominee)
2012 - Postage & Handling (Sexiest Looking Short nominee)
2011 - Admire The Wire
2010 - Queen's Gambit (Best Team Intro nominee)
2009 - Third Time Lucky
2008 - Immaculate Deceptions

weebey

Just saw that the Christchurch finalist were announced. Will they be doing that periodically through the week with the other centres ?

steelpotato
Since: Apr 2011

I've been told Wellington should be today and there was a post on FB that Dunedin will be today too.

Jason
Since: Mar 2013

Has there been any word on Auckland?

www.youtube.com/JovialEntertainment

www.facebook.com/JovialEntertainment

2018 - Jovial Entertainment | Daddy's Little Angel (Splatstick) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist. Auckland City Best Editor and best puddle
2017 - Jovial Entertainment | Pizza Money (Action/Ambition) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist + Auckland City and Grand Finals Best Editing winner
2016 - Jovial Entertainment | Munchies (Dystopian) | 1st Audience Favourite
2015 - Jovial Entertainment | Perp(Mistaken Identity) | 1st Audience Favourite
2013 - Jovial Entertainment | Barry (Crime) | 2nd Audience Favourite
2012 - Black Forest Breathes | One Last Shot (One Shot / End of the World)

weebey

No Hamilton announcement ?

HereForTheBeer

Hamilton are usually last to be announced.

2017 - Either Way
2016 - The Game
2011 - Admire The Wire
2009 - Third Time Lucky

weebey

Why is that ?

HereForTheBeer

Who knows lol

2017 - Either Way
2016 - The Game
2011 - Admire The Wire
2009 - Third Time Lucky

weebey

On the main page of the website it says that all the finalists have been announced. Is it possible they have just posted the hamilton finalists in a place that we dont know of ?

This would have to be the case wouldnt it, otherwise why would they say that all the finalists have been announced ?

Captain sensible

Maybe someone could post the link here to the Hamilton finalists and nominee's. Less than two weeks to the final so they must have been posted with all the others. Just where..........

weebey

I just looked at the 48 hour film competition facebook internet page and it said they apologize, they will need 36 more hours to make the announcement. so it should be 9am thursday morning.

Until then, any predictions ?

Captain sensible

If they were wanting risk taking by the teams then DF-10 with a puppet musical about incest have to be your front runners!!!

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

Sorry everyone waiting waiting, we're working really hard behind the scenes and it'll be worth the wait!

Think of it as precious anticip-...

weebey

How were the films in heat number 1 and heat number 2 ?

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

in reply to Captain sensible:

I think the voting for heat 3 was seriously skewed by the size of some of the attending teams;

True, true - our extras bought lots of friends to see them get eaten by zombies, so voting was definitely (if unintentionally) skewed in our favor.

I agree with you that the team voting is a much fairer system - nice work from the Hamilton organisers for trialling that. Even better would be team voting where you can't vote for your own team!

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

weebey

The finalists for the Hamilton. Competition have been announced on the 48 hour Facebook page.

Congratulations to all the finalists

weebey

Yes, the finalists are.

BAD GEORGE
DF-10
FLASH AS PRODUCTIONS
MAJESTIC FLOOF
ODD
SLATE48
SNOWFORGE
STAMPEDETIDDLYWINKS