VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Cybo
Since: Jun 2015

Feed for this Topic

Grand final predictions?

Beyond just the city final winners, does anyone have any predictions (or hopes) on who they think might make the grand finals?

Would love to hear them and keep the buzz going till they're announced!

Brendon
Since: May 2011

Some very strong films in the Chch final this year. Could easily see a couple of films making it through.

Alterium, CRAB CRAB CRAB, Eh Team, and Dystography all jump to mind as possibilities. All so different, but so great.

TBALC / Team Moon

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Brendon:

Agree about Eh Team having a good shot. CRAB CRAB CRAB would be a great addition; I saw it at the heats but enjoyed it more last night. It's not your usual national final film though.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

LiamM
Since: May 2015

'Tide' and 'Interloafer' are likely contenders from Auckland. I'm hoping for Sinistral's 'Harping On (lol)' to get through and for PJ to draw Chillybox's 'Clean Getaway' as a Wild Card.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

Searlo

I loved Strang Entertainment's entry this year. Worth a shot at nationals on the merits of the acting and that wonderful match cut alone.

I agree with Stu about CRAB CRAB CRAB not being a typical national finalist, but they're made something that's not a typical short film full stop. I'd be super happy to see them go through. <3

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

AJ

If "Clean Getaway" isn't a PJ wildcard I'll probably have a little hissyfit.

Would love to see "Wheat, Myself and Rye" make it through too. This competition needs more successful absurd films.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Mista Teas

in reply to Searlo:

I loved Strang Entertainment's entry this year. Worth a shot at nationals on the merits of the acting and that wonderful match cut alone.

Yeah, it was probably my favourite film of the CHCH final. I was really intrigued throughout and then wanted to know how their "next attempt" would go. I'm still thinking about it!

I didn't mention it as some of the audio might let it down, or was that just a fault at the theatre? I get the same feeling about it that I had with Les Cousins last year...a worthy 2nd but probably doesn't cut it for nationals. Hope I'm wrong 'cos I've loved the last couple of Strang films and as you say the acting was awesome and the match cut perfect in so many ways.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Gabe Lunte

in reply to AJ:

I love you, Alex Jones.

Chillybox
2018: PepTok - Auckland: 2nd Runner-Up, Best Use of Genre, Best Director, Best Performer; National: Best Performer, Best Director, Grand National Winner
2017: Time Terminal - Auckland: Finalist
2016: Time Travel Centre - Heat: Audience Favourite; Auckland: Finalist; National: Peter Jackson Wildcard & Grand National Winner
2015: Clean Getaway - Auckland: Best Use of Character, Best Makeup; National: Finalist

Mitchell's Not Here
2014: Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories - Auckland: Best Use of Character

Fail Bagel
2012: According To Plan
2011: Repressed

That's Key
2009: Under Par

AJ

in reply to Gabe Lunte:

Thanks.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

LiamM

in reply to LiamM:

Nailed it, sort of.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character

Brendon

Now let's predict the winner!

I've only seen a couple of the films, but Chess Club seems to have the most effusive reviews so I'm going to put my money on them.

TBALC / Team Moon

LiamM

in reply to Brendon:

Chess Club and Sinistral's films are my personal faves of the year from Auckland, but I'm gonna take a massive left turn and back TBALC for Grand Champs.

Cybo

Can only guess about the 4 Wellington finalists, but my money would be on Traces of Nut!

Cardinal

Feels super weird to have watched two national finalists from outside our city already. What an interesting year.

Chess Club have to be strong early favourites with an Auckland-winning musical, I'd have thought. (Plus those guys are just flat-out funny.)

Looking forward to watching these!

Searlo

Not having really seen anything from the other centres (other than Clean Getaway which was fantastic) so basing it solely on previous entries: man I'd love to see Goodfellas take it out.

(I have a significant film-nerd fanboy crush on them. But so does PJ so it's ok...).

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

AJ

in reply to AJ:

If "Clean Getaway" isn't a PJ wildcard I'll probably have a little hissyfit.

In the finals but not because of PJ. I'm not sure what I should do now.

Of the finalists I've seen, I'd put my money on Clean Getaway, Bread Winner or The Silent Man. Hard to predict.

Bread Winner was very similar to last year's winner from Lens Flare (in a good way!), being that it's a well produced musical with some hilarious moments in it. Highest production value out of the three, plus it's a musical which is always fun.

Clean Getaway has some of the most charming acting I've seen in the competition, I love the concept and a lot of the one-liners are hysterical. Best cinematography and acting out of the three.

The Silent Man has an awesome premise that follows through into a great story with an impeccable script and it utilizes the character so well too. I'd say the best story out of the three, and as an overall film, the cleverest too.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Gabe Lunte

in reply to AJ:

Again, Alex Jones, you are far too kind.

Chillybox
2018: PepTok - Auckland: 2nd Runner-Up, Best Use of Genre, Best Director, Best Performer; National: Best Performer, Best Director, Grand National Winner
2017: Time Terminal - Auckland: Finalist
2016: Time Travel Centre - Heat: Audience Favourite; Auckland: Finalist; National: Peter Jackson Wildcard & Grand National Winner
2015: Clean Getaway - Auckland: Best Use of Character, Best Makeup; National: Finalist

Mitchell's Not Here
2014: Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories - Auckland: Best Use of Character

Fail Bagel
2012: According To Plan
2011: Repressed

That's Key
2009: Under Par

Bridget Pringle

Yeah thanks so much for the lovely comments about the acting :) much appreciated