Feed for this Topic

Grand Final Chat

What a fantastic final!

Incredibly close between the top films.

Thoughts as they come to hand.

TBALC / Team Moon

AJ
Since: May 2011

Really gutted for TBALC. One of the films most deserving to win IMO and seemed to fly under the radar of the post-nationals zeitgeist.

That being said, I loved all the finalists this year. "Loyal", "Tide", and "Katy Harrison" were a few of my favourites which I had yet to see.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Gabe Lunte
Since: Jun 2015

in reply to LiamM:

I'm glad you picked up on that line having been picked up from somewhere else (I think it's been credited to Betty White in the past). I'm one of the people that thoroughly enjoyed Tide, it had a certain resonance I couldn't shake, and the acting was brilliant - however, the blatant plagiarism here irked me a bit.

Chillybox
2018: PepTok - Auckland: 2nd Runner-Up, Best Use of Genre, Best Director, Best Performer; National: Best Performer, Best Director, Grand National Winner
2017: Time Terminal - Auckland: Finalist
2016: Time Travel Centre - Heat: Audience Favourite; Auckland: Finalist; National: Peter Jackson Wildcard & Grand National Winner
2015: Clean Getaway - Auckland: Best Use of Character, Best Makeup; National: Finalist

Mitchell's Not Here
2014: Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories - Auckland: Best Use of Character

Fail Bagel
2012: According To Plan
2011: Repressed

That's Key
2009: Under Par

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Gabe Lunte:

Same, I watched it at the finals and the line stood out like a sore thumb to me maybe you could argue homage but it felt more like blatantly stealing a joke to me.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Vanessa
Since: Jul 2015

As far as discussion of films - I agree with most of what has been said. But wanted to say how much I enjoyed the slick and fast production of the Finals evening overall. Entertaining and well presented!

Only quibble would be that Best Editing and Best Script deserved a walk to the stage to receive recognition. I wouldn't have minded another 10 mins on the length of the night, and I also think that teams should be encouraged to 'say a few words' ... maybe they had been scared off? It's an Awards night after all, and I love hearing their tales and them thank their mums and agents.

2018: TBALC - The Spares - (Ultra)
2017: TBALC - Down 2 The Wire - (Ultra)
2015: TBALC - The Silent Man - National Finalist, Best Use of Character / Christchurch Winner, Best Editing, Best Script
2015: Zebra Crossing - #2 Way - Christchurch Best Animation
2014: TBALC - The Ex - National Finalist / Christchurch Winner
2014: The Eh Team - Restaurant D'Erreurs (Mistaken Identity) - National Finalist
2013: Zebra Crossing - Azanti (Non Dialogue) - National Finalist / Christchurch Runner Up, Chch Best Cinematography
2012: Zebra Crossing - Fukushu (Fantasy) - Christchurch Best Actress, Sexiest Looking Short
2011: Zebra Crossing - A Series Of Unlikely Events (Quest) - Nominated Christchurch Best Actress
2008: Otherside - A Brush with Death (Horror)
2007: Otherside - The Other Side (Religious Movie) - Nominated Christchurch Best Actress
2005: (Don't remember team name but can't forget the prop!)

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

Oh I also want to say, Saturday was the first time I'd actually attended the Grand National Final at The Civic (being quite an effort and expense to get up from Christchurch), and it was a really great experience all round. (And it turns out that Josh is a lot funnier when you can hear the rest of the room laughing at his jokes.) Thanks for having us Auckland!

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "√úbermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Pete

in reply to Dawkward:

Dawkward has it right about how I did the blank shots of Auckland streets. Basically I take some lovely shots from Daryl and I put them through after effects. It was just a process of patching out areas of the frame. Take a selection of freeze frames from the footage until you've got enough to mask out all areas where there is movement. Hardest part was looking for all the reflections in the windows and comping them out. Once you've masked in the empty areas match the grain back to the original footage and there you have it.

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Pete:

Awesome! Do you still have the raw footage? Cos it would be really cool to see some before-and-after comparisons, if you feel like showing off... :)

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "√úbermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Rowox
Since: May 2011

"it would be really cool to see some before-and-after comparisons"

I second this motion

Wgn 2019 The Directors "The Big Number"
Wgn 2018 Ahrjeebee "Connection Interrupted"
Wgn 2017 Ahrjeebee "Salvage"
Wgn 2016 PuppyGuts "DICKS"
Wgn 2015 PuppyGuts "Beyond the Fridge"
Wgn 2014 Dusty Tapes "To Darkness"
Wgn 2013 Dusty Tapes "The Rescue Party"
Wgn 2012 PuppyGuts "Fetus 5000"
Akld 2011 Meat Pie "Truth Unseen"
Akld 2010 Meat Pie "Bruised"
Akld 2009 Rising Phoenix "Till The Day We Die"
Wgn 2007 Fargish "The State of Georgia"
Wgn 2006 Fargish "It Returned to the Abyss"
Wgn 2005 Team Awesome "Cock Fever"
Wgn 2004 The Insomniacs "Terry's Package"

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Q: How come the Technical Element wasn't recognised nationally this year?

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Pete

in reply to Rowox:

Hi Rowox and TheNimbleMarmoset,

I'm on a job at the moment but will see if I can post something in the next couple days. Might just be stills as I might not have time to knock out some videos.