Feed for this Topic

Grand Final Chat

What a fantastic final!

Incredibly close between the top films.

Thoughts as they come to hand.

TBALC / Team Moon

Brendon
Since: May 2011

-I liked to see so much sincerity done well this year. Hard to pull off, but I was touched.

-another year of naked male arse. I think naked male arse (NMA) is the perfect metaphor for 48hours, a bit naughty, but doesn't feel exploitative.

-is it time to retire musical for a few years? It would be like if some gymnasts were challenged to do a double backflip when everyone else is asked to do a forward roll. Yes it is harder, but if you can do it...

TBALC / Team Moon

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

I've found myself thinking about Bread winner recently... he's clean shaven in the first scene and then he's got a beard so I'm thinking they must have shot that last but a lot of the film is night scenes though now that I think of it maybe they shot that scene at night too and I previously thought it was a day scene... and then I was thinking how did they have time to edit though It does sound like the whole film was done audio only and then uh mimed? during the shoot which could have saved time.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Brendon

And how the frick did Sinistral do that Last Person on earth?

TBALC / Team Moon

CraigWB

My guess is it's a combination of timing a folly, some of these new DSLR cameras can shoot in a way that can make early mornings look like day so you just wait for a gap in traffic run the take and move on.
The sound would have given it away but there's no dialogue in that movie so you just do all the sound effects in post.

Sakura Productions

Brendon

I'm surprised all the shots weren't ruined by other 48H teams trying to do exactly the same thing.

TBALC / Team Moon

Mista Teas

I thought "Tide" was amazing. I loved the sense of dread that was built. Very, very clever and probably my favourite of the finalists.

I've watched "Bread Winner" quite a bit today. I can't get enough of the first half of the film - it's so very well done.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Dawkward
Since: May 2013

I think there were a lot of visual effects done and done really well. Because all of the shots were on tripod, they could mask out pedestrians and cars in the background (Definitely time consuming stuff). That's what I think. Someone knew what they were doing with after effects or a similar program. Even in the morning, I don't think Auckland is ever that desolate.

2016: Suede Mystery - Actor, Composer, Writer
2015: Loyal Buddy Film Wellington City Winner, National Runner-Runner Up, National Best Actor/Editor - Actor, Composer, Writer
2014: adz4u Film within a Film - Actor, Composer, Writer
2013: Bags Horror Wellington City Finals - Actor, Composer, Writer
2012: Sticks and Stones Fantasy Adventure (Late) - Actor, Composer, Writer
2011: Sketch Road Film Wellington City Winner, National Finalist, National Best Cinematography/Score - Composer, Writer
2010: Loosely Attached Twin Movie - Actor, Audio Technical

CraigWB

in reply to Dawkward:

I've been in the city around 5 am that sort of hour and it can get empty enough to get a shot with no one in it.
At the right time of day it's not impossible.

Sakura Productions

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to CraigWB:

My guess is it's a combination of timing a folly, some of these new DSLR cameras can shoot in a way that can make early mornings look like day so you just wait for a gap in traffic run the take and move on.
The sound would have given it away but there's no dialogue in that movie so you just do all the sound effects in post.

Yeah, and from watching on Saturday night, I'm pretty sure that at least one shot had a background that was freeze-framed (with cars sitting motionless in a traffic lane). Plus the overbridge shot, it kinda looked like the roads had been painted blank. Perhaps somewhat from Sinistral might share their tricks on here?

But whatever the case, the effect was really well done.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Mista Teas:

I thought "Tide" was amazing. I loved the sense of dread that was built. Very, very clever and probably my favourite of the finalists.

I think I might need to watch that one again. I thought it looked gorgeous, and the character relationship between the two was really beautifully essayed - we really got underneath the skin of the friendship. It was just the final scene that let it down for me, because... I dunno, maybe because it was exactly what I assumed was going to happen, and I wanted to be surprised? Or that the manner of how it all happened was rather shocking, and raised questions that weren't the kind that could just be left unanswered. But yeah, maybe it will play differently on another viewing.

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Gabe Lunte
Since: Jun 2015

Overall I was blown away by this year's entries! It was humbling just to share the screen with so many talented filmmakers this year. Looking forward to seeing what everyone puts together next year. And I'm looking forward to competing in the same heat as Chess Club again next year!

Good work everyone!

Chillybox
2018: PepTok - Auckland: 2nd Runner-Up, Best Use of Genre, Best Director, Best Performer; National: Best Performer, Best Director, Grand National Winner
2017: Time Terminal - Auckland: Finalist
2016: Time Travel Centre - Heat: Audience Favourite; Auckland: Finalist; National: Peter Jackson Wildcard & Grand National Winner
2015: Clean Getaway - Auckland: Best Use of Character, Best Makeup; National: Finalist

Mitchell's Not Here
2014: Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories - Auckland: Best Use of Character

Fail Bagel
2012: According To Plan
2011: Repressed

That's Key
2009: Under Par

LiamM
Since: May 2015

I love that Sinistral provided this year's "how the holy hell did they get A HOUSE ON FIRE!?" Would have been my fave from this year if it weren't for 'The Silent Man' - holy shit, that film was packed with wit.

'Tide' did its story as well as it could have been done in 7 minutes. Quality across the board. But I felt nothing for that ending, and I feel it's due to us not getting enough insight to the character's motivation for committing himself to the act. But hot damn, I admire that team for the attempt - it's worthy of runner-up.

What I really found interesting is that, aside from 'Bread Winner', everyone I talked to had a different favourite film. Really speaks to how absurdly high the quality of these films has ascended to.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

Mista Teas

in reply to LiamM:

It was just the final scene that let it down for me, because... I dunno, maybe because it was exactly what I assumed was going to happen, and I wanted to be surprised?

But I felt nothing for that ending, and I feel it's due to us not getting enough insight to the character's motivation for committing himself to the act.

Interesting. His motivation I didn't care about at all; her ability to follow through on her promise, even at the point where she could have relented, intrigued me greatly and her reaction afterwards said a hell of a lot. I thought it was the perfect ending as it could easily have copped out with something more feel good.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Lewis Bryant
Since: Jul 2015

'Tide' really stood out. Probably one of the only films that could transcend the competition. Amanda Billings performance has to have been the greatest I've seen out of any 48hour flick. That final scene was breathtaking.
I agree with Mista Teas, it didn't need a why, and it most certainly didn't need a feel good ending. It was refreshing to watch amongst the usual wallpaper of typical dry Kiwi humor.

The last few final's I've seen felt suffocated by filmmakers jamming the same old humor into their films no matter what the genre. A few of the films technical execution felt secondary to ticking the box of lol's.

The competition is beginning to feel stale to me, we see the same stuff year in and year out. The usual suspects make the finals despite offering inferior products to previous years. No new ideas, and limited growth.

P.S what was up with the cringe-worthy uses of the prop this year, zero subtlety.

Bridget Pringle

Re: Tide
I was talking to my brother who saw all of the finalists for the first time on the night, and he said he was really frustrated by Tide. He was saying that the premise seemed totally implausible to him, that for some unstated reason the guy is dragging his friend into it and probably gaining her a murder conviction in the process. He viewed the whole thing as just really selfish and weird. I hadn't thought about it like that before but he's kind of right... I'm still struggling to come up with a reason that would warrant her having to do it instead of him just doing it himself...especially on a public beach at dawn when people would be out walking.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

I still really loved Tide. Amanda Billing is badass.

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Bridget Pringle:

Yeah, I think that was part of what made me feel unsure about the final scene. I mean, assisted suicide by passively not stopping it, or even turning a machine off, that's one thing. But to actively do a very physical and deliberate act which results in death by one's own hand is something else entirely. Personally, I wouldn't say it seemed implausible to me, more that it was removed from any context in terms of the characters' situations. Which isn't even to say that I wanted to have it explained outright to me; just a few more clues dropped like breadcrumbs along the way I reckon.

Interesting, from just these few comments above, some very strong thoughts in both directions about this one - so it's got us talking about it, which can't be a bad thing.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

TheNimbleMarmoset

A couple of other finalists I really dug, for very different reasons. Traces Of Nut's "Sound Sleep" was thoroughly deserving of its Best Score nod, and the sound design generally was terrific in that. And although the "comedy film that has a shock serious ending" approach is in danger of becoming a 48HOURS cliché, I thought it succeeded really well here (partly because it justified the wacky elements within a broader reality, and also because it went back to the bed at the end, sort of Life On Mars style).

"Bringing Back Bruce" had Moffilaide's silliness painted all over it, and the athletic editing really allowed it to power along. Plus it's easy to get urban-setting fatigue from watching a bunch of these films back to back, so the volcanic plateau vistas were incredibly refreshing. I'll admit the ending was sort of baffling (and I felt that maybe there was a final comedy beat missing), but all up a really fun film. (I also enjoyed the simple look of the cinematography - what with all the polished and professional-looking entries these days, I sometimes get nostalgic for the lower-fi standard of years gone by...).

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

LiamM

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Interesting, from just these few comments above, some very strong thoughts in both directions about this one - so it's got us talking about it, which can't be a bad thing.

And this is where I get my pom-poms out and cheer on everyone to review 'Tide' in the Reviews Database: http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2015/auckland/10/king-gains-bury-biches
Mine's the only review up at the moment, and I think it could use a few opinions from people who adored it.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to LiamM:

And this is where I get my pom-poms out and cheer on everyone to review 'Tide' in the Reviews Database: http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2015/auckland/10/king-gains-bury-biches
Mine's the only review up at the moment, and I think it could use a few opinions from people who adored it.

Damn, how is it possible that any film in this competition, let alone one that is a) of such quality and b) clearly conversation-provoking, has only one review? Similarly, I recall that "Sound Sleep" had no reviews for ages either. Is the reviews database not getting pushed at the screenings like it should be? (I know that Andrew certainly does his best to remind people about it at the CHCH heats.) As a baseline, if you are in the heat for your team's film, it should be a minimum courtesy that you write a review for every other film in the heat with you.

And on that note, time for me to write some reviews I think...

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

LiamM

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

For Auckland, the urge for reviewing is emphasized in the heats, but it's a bit of a gamble as to which heats have people willing to actually do it vs people who don't/can't spare the time (or worse, only review their mate's film).

Hopefully there's more that can be done next year - as you say, having only one piece of feedback for the Grand Runner Up is pretty bonkers.

And on that note, time for me to write some reviews I think...

You are a champion.