VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Finalists

It looks like one entry from each centre has been nominated for the technical awards. Seems odd.
Also, how does Apollo 69 not get an Ultra nom, when it is a finalist?
Nice to see Wellington well represented.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Andrew Todd

As explained somewhere on the site, the national category nominees are the regional category winners, same as it's almost always been, and Best Ultra =/= Best Film.

Looks like it'll be a strong-ass final!

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2020 Lockdown - "The Quiet Moon" - Science Fiction
2019 - "Schism" - Science Fiction (National finalist; Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography; Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019, Chattanooga Film Fest 2020)
2018 - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist; Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation; Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "√úbermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Yeah, it looks like they are doing Best Ultra as best use of ultra elements, which is good, as you could make a stellar film that's finalist-worthy, but someone whose film wasn't finalst material might have had a better way of using the ultra elements.

Very cool to see a diverse range of centers represented in the finals! Can't wait to see all the ones I've been hearing heaps about from the big centers :)

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

ruth
Since: May 2011

At national level we take the winner from each centre as the nominee. Awards which are national only are selected from the entire pool - so this year Best Female Director, Solo/Duo and Ultra nominees were selected from teams who were eligible in those categories regardless of region.

Best Ultra is based on the way teams use the Ultra elements, with two different elements this was a big challenge this year and there were some very innovation approaches.

steelpotato

Yeah Couch Kumara probably utilised the Ultra elements best in Wellington, given they had an amazing 4th wall break PLUS took home best editing. Hard to argue with really :)

Brendon
Since: May 2011

Team Moon is equal parts surprised and delighted to have made it to the final. I'm particularly enjoying the idea of people watching our film from last year to try and get a sense of what this year's film will be like.

TBALC / Team Moon