VF48Hours Forum

Bock_Simon
Since: Sep 2017

Feed for this Topic

Curious to know.... ULTRA award nominations? and is the Wildcard (P.Jackson) still a thing?

May have missed the info around these on the site....so just asking on the forums...

I see the ULTRA award is a national award.....who qualifies for consideration in this? Only city finalists or are all ULTRA teams going to be judged on this? It's not clear on the Ultra page.

Also.... Is the Wildcard nomination still a thing? I can't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere this year?

Cheers!

JAGBOG
Just a Good Bunch of Guys

2018 - Eric & Leo
2017 - Night Guards - A Rising Tide Chronicle
2016 - (As 'Residual Talent') Sole Mates
2015 - Early To Rise
2014 - Rising Tide
2013 - 158
2012 - She'll Be Right 2 - Nah She Bloody Won't
2011 - She'll Be Right

themorgan
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Bock_Simon:

Only city finalists or are all ULTRA teams going to be judged on this?

Considering how variable the quality of the judges is it'd be pretty shit if it was only city finalists.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 Late :)
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | Late & Bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Bad!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Bloydd
Since: May 2011

I'd say it's actually more likely only grand finalists.
Maybe a couple of Auckland or Wellington Ultra city finalists could squeeze across the line into the nominations. If they do nominations this year!
Last year the nominations were "coming soon" until the night of the grand final when the first award was just "oh and this team won the Ultra award".

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Andrew Todd

With all these things, like...........the best Ultra films will probably be city finalists at the very least. The best solo/duo films will probably be city finalists at the very least. And so on.

Maybe any film could *technically* qualify for the award, but realistically, they'll probably come from the pool of finalists (city or grand) simply because those are gonna be the best films.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - Deep Dish Pizza Wolf - "Розкол" - Science Fiction (Chch shortlist)
2018 - Poutine Wolf - "Утка" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - TBALC - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - TBALC - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - TBALC - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

Again, why would anyone do Ultra?

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

Bock_Simon
Since: Sep 2017

in reply to Strange:

Again, why would anyone do Ultra?

That is a good question! The Ultra page made it seem like some special prizes etc for those who undertook a considerable challenge.....but it seems to go quiet once the competition gets underway.
Maybe it's better to just let Ultra fade away for future comps.....and just work on really interesting themes / genres instead.

JAGBOG
Just a Good Bunch of Guys

2018 - Eric & Leo
2017 - Night Guards - A Rising Tide Chronicle
2016 - (As 'Residual Talent') Sole Mates
2015 - Early To Rise
2014 - Rising Tide
2013 - 158
2012 - She'll Be Right 2 - Nah She Bloody Won't
2011 - She'll Be Right

Andrew Todd

I think Ultra is less about the extra prize and more about the extra challenge. A lot of teams in this thing relish the difficulty of the comp. For teams of that nature, Ultra just adds to the fun. It's not for everybody - some people might consider it unthinkable - but it's very much for those brave souls who attempt it.

It's like a video game speedrun where you can't press the dodge button, or can't use powerups, or something like that. Sure, you could get through it easier without that extra challenge, but for people who are experienced and familiar with the base game, the challenge makes it more fun.

And like...isn't this all about having fun?

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - Deep Dish Pizza Wolf - "Розкол" - Science Fiction (Chch shortlist)
2018 - Poutine Wolf - "Утка" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - TBALC - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - TBALC - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - TBALC - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

ruth

I think I've posted in another thread, but Ness and I will be checking out all the Ultra films and they are all eligible for the Ultra prize. At the moment I have only watched the Wellington ones and there are some strong contenders here so it will be quite difficult. Last year we had an Ultra team win Wellington and they were pretty clearly winners so we didn't do noms, but we will this year.

Ultra isn't really about the prize - its a challenge for people who want to spice up the experience - we noticed that teams were on the forum talking about extra challenges they set themselves to keep things interesting. Its not for everyone for sure - thats why we don't let newbies do it - and its optional so you don't have to do it...

That said we do have a shiny cup for the winning Ultra to display on the mantlepiece.

ruth

Oh yes and the PJ Wildcard is still a thing. and yes PJ does watch them (I know, I didn't believe it either) but now that I'm emailing his PA to make arrangements I can definitely confirm its real.