VF48Hours 2020 Forum

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

Feed for this Topic

City Finalists discussion thread

Hi everyone. These forums are still outrageously quiet, even after today's announcement of the regional finalists. So I'm keen to hear people's reactions, and maybe some analysis.

For starters, a couple of questions: what is the genre break-down across the finalists? What genres are the winners and losers there? Also, what about the ratio of returning finalists versus first-timers? Number-crunchers, go go go.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Rowox
Since: May 2011

I thought so too, dramamike. I thought your film was brilliant. However I haven't seen any of the Wgtn finalists (no finalists from our heat) so maybe they are all amazing.

Wgn 2019 The Directors "The Big Number"
Wgn 2018 Ahrjeebee "Connection Interrupted"
Wgn 2017 Ahrjeebee "Salvage"
Wgn 2016 PuppyGuts "DICKS"
Wgn 2015 PuppyGuts "Beyond the Fridge"
Wgn 2014 Dusty Tapes "To Darkness"
Wgn 2013 Dusty Tapes "The Rescue Party"
Wgn 2012 PuppyGuts "Fetus 5000"
Akld 2011 Meat Pie "Truth Unseen"
Akld 2010 Meat Pie "Bruised"
Akld 2009 Rising Phoenix "Till The Day We Die"
Wgn 2007 Fargish "The State of Georgia"
Wgn 2006 Fargish "It Returned to the Abyss"
Wgn 2005 Team Awesome "Cock Fever"
Wgn 2004 The Insomniacs "Terry's Package"

Sean O'Connor

in reply to BrotherInCrime:

Puppet did well. For a genre that initially filled us with the same kind of doubt and fear that Musical did, ours got the to Final.

Actor (Various Teams)
2018 | Angle3 Pictures | The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years | Healing Water
2017 | Angle3 Pictures | Survival | Stand Up
2016 | Angle3 Pictures | Puppet | Finest Creation (Grand National Finalist)
2015 | Oral Bennetians | Other Dimension | Driveby Stigmata and the Last Communion
2014 | Shoestring | Revenge | If You Can Get Blood
2013 | Battlesoup | Action | Henchmen
2012 | Big Red Fire Truck | Found Footage | Broken Clover
2011 | FRC Productions | Fad | You Reckon?
2010 | Oral Bennetians | Road Movie | Driveby Stigmata (Best National DQ'd Film)
2009 | Family | Wizard Boy II

Cardinal
Since: Apr 2011

4 puppet films in Auckland! Amazing. Can't wait to see 'em all.

BurtReeto
Since: Sep 2016

What awards are up for grabs at regional finals? Is it just 1st and runner up? or best use of line, best use of prop etc?

2018 Currie Street Creatives - The Stand In - https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2018-1/taranaki/the-stand-in/ - The Fish out of water Movie

2017 Currie Street Creatives - Charlie Echo Alpha - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmUaMOkpja0 - Buddy

2016 - Currie Street Creatives - The Right Swipe - https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2016/taranaki/the-right-swipe/ - Mistaken Identity

2012 - Cut and Paste - Headcase - https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2012/hamilton/headcase/ - Horror

Cardinal

in reply to BurtReeto:

Certainly in Christchurch all those category awards are handed out at the regional final as well.

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

Im loving all this statistical analysis. One year I reckon it'd be awesome to have a couple live stream presenters do a pre and post match statistical analysis like a sports match. haha. But seriously its interesting to see that Mystery was so popular in CHCH and Puppet movie so popular in Auckland! Cant wait to see what the National genre make up is like.

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

BrotherInCrime
Since: Jun 2011

And just because I like numbers, here are the genre stats for Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Hamilton combined.

Puppet 6
Horror 6
Mystery 5
Rom-Com 4
Comedy of Errors 4
Dystopian 4
Real Time 4
Cat & Mouse 3
Crime 3
Bro or Bechdel 3
One Location 2
Time Travel 2
Punk 2
Lovers on the Run 1
Mistaken Identity 1

Brothers In Crime
2019 - Some Family Business - The Secret Identity Movie - 1st Place Audience Award
2018 - Pussy Pussy Pussy Pussy! - The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years (ULTRA) - 2nd Place Audience Award
2017 - Santa's Smoko - Christmas - LATE
2016 - Tane Huata: Puppet Hunter - Puppet Movie - AKL Finalist & 3rd Place Audience Award
2015 - The Greatest Gunman - Mystery
2014 - Kevin's Journey: A Quest For Half - Fantasy Adventure - AKL Finalist & Nominee of Best use of Line & 3rd Place Audience Award
2013 - Sons of Thunder - Fantasy/Adventure
2012 - BBS (Big Black Snake) - Superhero and Erotic Thriller - AKL Finalist & 2nd Place Audience Award
2011 - Guest - Horror - LATE
Used Body Productions
2010 - The Stomping Ground - Femme Fatale
2009 - I Woke Up This Morning - Mystery
2008 - The Time Machine - Time Travel - All Teen Team - LATE
2007 - A Whole Lotta Apple Sauce - Crime - Best One Liners

Tom Paton
Since: May 2015

Gisborne Stats:
11 finalists

Puppet 1
Horror 0
Rom-Com 1
Cat & Mouse 1
Comedy of Errors 2
Crime 0
Dystopian 1
Lovers on the Run 0
One-Location 0
Time Travel 1
Bechdel or Bro 1
Mistaken Identity 1
Mystery 1
Punk 1
Real Time 0

steelpotato

I can give run-time stats for finalists. From memory only 4 or 5 of wellington finalists used the full 5 minutes!

EmpireMagazine
Since: Oct 2016

Feeling like some of the films in the Hamilton final are debateable. Especially that some films didn't make it over some very poor ones.

Jay Baker

in reply to EmpireMagazine:

Yeah, I was surprised to see the fight-club-esque one not make it in. Wondered if it was around them not hitting the mistaken identity genre particularly well, or if there was some other reason that disqualified them?

But Bad George made it in, so I'm happy :-)

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

EmpireMagazine

in reply to Jay Baker:

Yes, this is one of the films I was thinking of too. My theory on the judging (for the mistaken identity genre as a whole) is that judging is done on originality and adherence to the genre, when it is nearly impossible to be original with the mistaken identity genre as all ways of doing it become cliche, the only way to be original is to be abstract with the genre, but that leads to losing favor for adherece to the genre. Mistaken identity has less chance of scoring well with the judges because of this.

Andrew Todd

it is nearly impossible to be original with the mistaken identity genre

It's nearly impossible to be original with ANY genre. But it's not actually impossible. It's just really hard, much like making a short film in 48 hours. I've seen teams surprise me in every genre there is. It's entirely down to what they do with what they have.

No genre has an inherent advantage or disadvantage over any other in 48HOURS.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography, official selection Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

EmpireMagazine

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Fair enough actually. Do you think people should be trying to be more abstract with the genres? Or should we just do exactly what the genre description is?

Jay Baker

Good question. We usually prioritize trying to make a really good genre film over trying to do anything too abstract or world-changing.

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

Andrew Todd

I don't know what "be more abstract with the genres" means. Teams are rewarded for adhering to their genre or subverting it.

We get this question every year, and a lot of teams try to use "subversion" as an excuse to basically not make a film in their given genre, but basically what we're looking for is cinematic literacy, displayed through how teams use their genre. Sometimes that means pushing your genre hard, sometimes it means subverting it, but if you subvert you need to work twice as hard to demonstrate that you know exactly what it is you're doing.

For example: when we made I AM SINGLE, we essentially made a post-apocalyptic film, but we still stuck to all the narrative beats of the genre we were given (Rom Com). Even though it had all the outward appearances of a post-apocalyptic film, it's impossible to question the fact that it is still, also, a rom-com.

The safest road to go down is always to play the genre as hard as possible. Ultimately there's "right way" to do any of this - we're judging art, so it's a case by case basis.

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography, official selection Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

AJ

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Has anyone ever been disqualified for not sticking to their genre close enough?

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Cart25

Congrats to all the finalists. Sounds like this was a really strong year.

2006 - This Thing Called Hate - best song nom Wgtn final
2007 - WhoreCop 3: Night Justice - Wgtn finalist, best actor nom, Peter Jackson wild card grand final
2008 - Dancing Hearts 3: Night Moves
2013 - 3pm - Nom best actor wgtn
2014 - Job Security
2016 - The Middle Man

Andrew Todd

in reply to AJ:

Has anyone ever been disqualified for not sticking to their genre close enough?

No. They just don't do very well in the "how well did they stick to their genre?" judging criterion, which is a pretty big one.

dramamike

in reply to Andrew Todd:

What are the judging criterion?

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal