VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Section59
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Christchurch Finals WOOOHOOO!

Well done Mr Todd and team. That was an EPIC performance. And well done winners. I gotta say, I had the winning team lined up from the moment I saw the film... brilliant. But everyone's movies were just so good. Damned if this competition doesn't just get better every year!

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

BigRay
Since: Apr 2013

Another great evening. The best film certainly won but my favourite "Modern Romance" by Alterium didn't pick up any accolades so I'll Big Them Up here!!

Christchurch On Air
2019 Closure | Opposites Attract
2018 Altar | Anti-RomCom
2016 Yarn Bombers | Cat And Mouse
2015 Special Delivery | Science Gone Mad
2013 the choices | Race Against The Clock
2012 The Collectors | Crime

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

I agree, an awesome evening. Totally stoked on our win of course, but also really good just to see the wide range of great films in the finals (off the top of my head Dystography and Pigs Guts were a couple of personal highlights for me). Lovely crowd there too; every year, always a genuinely warm buzz in the room. :)

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Cardinal

Modern Romance, so great! And Ben from Eh Team hinted at during the awards, I also thought Dystography were unlucky not to end up with more recognition - they executed their concept pitch-perfectly. Also Strang! Mwah. (That is my attempt at writing a kissy noise of appreciation.)

So many enjoyable films! I love 48HRS.

Stuart Broughton

Yeah, that was a very entertaining evening.

The Silent Man blew me awaaaaay. It must be close to being Christchurch's best ever 48 Hours short, surely. The killer concept and smart script are realised as seamlessly as... bread. Can't wait to see it again.

--------------------
48 Hours 2018: Mentor (read: driver) for my daughter's team
48 Hours 2017: Margaret Candy's BBQ Tongs: Clock: The Second Hand ULTRA
48 Hours 2016: static.comb.hummingbird: Where Are They Now?
48 Hours 2015: Hummingbird: The Stamp
48 Hours 2014: Hummingbird: Furious Filmmaking
48 Hours 2013: Hummingbird: Clock
48 Hours 2012: the whole damn universe: Honeymoon
48 Hours 2011: The Brainy Corporation: Kinky, Minx, and Cowboys
48 Hours 2010: The Brainy Corporation: The House on Vengeance Street
48 Hours 2009: The Brainy Corporation: The Jingle: Late!
48 Hours 2008: Humans from Earth: Lifting the Cape
48 Hours 2007: Visualeyes: Mondo Christchurch Chch Runner Up: Chch Best Script

Mista Teas

in reply to Stuart Broughton:

It must be close to being Christchurch's best ever 48 Hours short, surely.

It would be a close run thing but I think "Is Love Enough" would still come out on top in a head-to-head battle! And then there is The Outwits of course...

The Eh Team must have got very, very close again this year even though they weren't Top 2. It wouldn't surprise me to see them in the National final though.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Mista Teas:

It would be a close run thing but I think "Is Love Enough" would still come out on top in a head-to-head battle! And then there is The Outwits of course...

For our film to even be considered worthy of battle with "Is Love Enough?" is a huge compliment in itself I reckon.

It's probably a lot harder to make meaningful comparisons with the older films like "Carboys and the Indian", since there is generally a lot more technical polish on the top films these days (although not always, it must be added).

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Cardinal

Still waiting for police to solve the unfortunate case of robbery "Is Love Enough" suffered through in the national finals that year.

dramamike

in reply to Cardinal:

I'd never seen "Is Love Enough' until just now.
It must rank as one of the best ever in 48 Hours.
I love "The Sleeping Plot', but the complexity of the 'Is Love Enough' is impressive.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Brendon
Since: May 2011

Very strong final this year. I loved how distinct in style all of the films were.

Strongest final since 2012 I reckon.

TBALC / Team Moon

Cardinal

in reply to dramamike:

It must rank as one of the best ever in 48 Hours.

Agreed. I've never seen a film in Chch I thought had a better chance of being a national winner. I know film judging is subjective etc., and you can't reasonably accuse an eclectic international judging panel of bias, but how it not only didn't win but didn't even place is sort of beyond me.

Brendon

in reply to Cardinal:

Judging from the reviews they get each year The Eh Team is stuck in the shadow of 'Is Love Enough' like Joseph Heller and Catch 22.

TBALC / Team Moon

Andrew Todd

in reply to Brendon:

Judging from the reviews they get each year The Eh Team is stuck in the shadow of 'Is Love Enough' like Joseph Heller and Catch 22.

Probably the most underrated team in Christchurch, bizarrely. (As far as community reviews go, anyway.)

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography, official selection Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Brendon

So many reviews each year start with "I'm a big fan of this team... but"

TBALC / Team Moon

Cardinal

in reply to Brendon:

Joseph Heller had a pretty excellent comeback after one too many interviews asking him about why he had never done anything as good as Catch 22, which probably applies equally here, and was something along the lines of: "Well, why expect it from me? Nobody else has, either."

Mista Teas

in reply to Brendon:

judging from the reviews they get each year The Eh Team is stuck in the shadow of 'Is Love Enough'

I think people just want to be "Wowed" again. It's unfortunate because they do keep making quality films.

I still remember seeing ILE at the heats that year. Only film I've ever seen in CHCH where you can honestly say that they nailed everything possible and I believe that rare beast of a film that everyone also genuinely liked.

but how it not only didn't win but didn't even place is sort of beyond me.

The Sleeping Plot is quality and a worthy winner but yes, for ILE not to at least place in 2012 is mind-blowing!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Dan Bain
Since: Jun 2011

Hey folks what a surprise this thread is...
I absolutely loved TBALC's film last night. Every single thing in it contributes to the story, every shot and every line is funny in and of itself as well as serving the plot and themes. That shit is tight and it's very hard to nail.

Sometimes you get lucky, enough planets align and that sort of thing happens. It happened for us with ILE. Since then I've very consciously tried to write films that are as far away from it as possible to try avoid the inevitable comparisons.
It hasn't really worked.
I've stopped reading reviews of our films because I find it too disheartening. I think (or at least hope) we're still making interesting, specific and funny films but we constantly get slammed for not being able to make lightning strike twice. So there you go guys, maybe that's something for you to look forward to, although with two years in a row maybe you've broken that. So, well played. Well played indeed.

Like Alex, I also loved dystography's film. Gold.
Well done everyone. Always a good night out.

2015 - Hard Times (CHCH FINALIST + best director, cinematography, makeup, prop)
2014 - Le Restaurant D'erreurs (NATIONAL FINALIST + best actor, director, CHCH FINALIST + best cinematography, director, actor, audience favourite)
2013 - Is Love Enough? (NATIONAL FINALIST + best editing, script. CHCH WINNER + best editing, script, actor, director, audience favourite)
2012 - Day 6 (CHCH FINALIST + best cinematography, female director, makeup)
2011 - Infinite Body Confidence (CHCH RUNNER UP)

Twitter | Facebook | Podcast

Bat Features
Since: Jun 2015

in reply to Dan Bain:

I have always been amazed at the fact that you guys manage to pump out such quality films every year. Always well executed and so damn polished. This year was no different. I love your films!

Crab Crab Crab