VF48Hours Forum

Bloydd
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Changes to Awards

I've been having a look at the awards & prizes slated for this year, noticed there's been a few changes.

Love that there's now a Best Use of Genre award, can't wait to see how the nominations fall for this, as we've seen, subversion & adherence can both make something amazing!

I presume Best Use of Required Elements will be split into the awards like normal? Just written like this so we don't know what the elements are this year? (i.e. prop/sfx/line/character/tech/event)

The one that confuses me the most though is seeing that Best Actor & Best Actress now appear to just be "Best Performer". Is this really going to be one award from now on or is that subject to change? I'd love to know the reasoning behind the decision to combine them if that's the case because it's got me scratching my head.

What do y'all think?
Any other changes you'd want to see in future years?

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA)
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Andrew Todd
Since: Apr 2011

+1 to Best Ensemble. If it's good enough for the SAG...

Many's the time, when I was manager, we (the judges) wanted to reward the acting from a short but couldn't come up with a single standout performance.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - Deep Dish Pizza Wolf (Duo/Ultra) - Розкол - Science Fiction
2018 - Poutine Wolf (Duo/Ultra) - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - TBALC - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - TBALC - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - TBALC - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

steelpotato

More nominees instantly brought fast sell outs back to wellington in 2016/2017 after 2015 at the embassy had at least 200 empty seats with the old 3 noms per category.

The more nominees the better in my book; people typically make an effort to go if nominated.

I do like the change to 'best performer'. I heard a lot of people upset about best actor (very deservedly I might add) going to a voice actor last year and I haven't checked but guessing that might have been the reason for change?

I don't like the mixing of vfx and animation though. Problem is that there's been years where even major centres get 1 or 2 animated films. Funnily enough it's the other way this year in Wellington with hardly any vfx and 7 animated films (I think)

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

I love the ensemble acting award too! Great idea Mr Nimble Marmoset.

If you go for more than one lead character there’s never enough screen time anymore for one person to shine. So a collective performance is an awesome way to do it I think.

48 Hours
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

Mista Teas

in reply to dramamike:

With the departure from Best Actor and Best Actress, and the arrival of only one award, could we instead have joint Best Actors?

Too sensible. :)

COMING SOON: End - Real Time
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Also agree with score and song. It's quite a far cry from the catchiness and hilarious lyrics of "Two long years too long" from Breadwinner, to something that has a really well put together Hans Zimmer-esque (we all wish, haha) cinematic score (an example presently eludes me and my toasted sandwich is nearly ready so I don't have time to go look up previous winners).

It's kind of like combining score/song and vfx/animation would be like combining cinematography and makeup or lighting or color grading or something similar... Like they would both be things that make the film look good, but they're not quite comparable skillsets. Hans Zimmer can score the crap out of a film, but maybe he can't write witty lyrics to save himself, haha :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

TheNimbleMarmoset

While Score and Song are generally quite distinct formats, I think I like the merger because in the context of a 5-minute film, frankly if you feature a song then in practice that pretty much becomes the score.

(The only exception to this is the Musical genre, where you have licence to use songs all over the place (and diagetically). But even then, the songs of a Musical are, again, part of the score.)

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Andrew Todd

in reply to Rastinha:

would be like combining cinematography and makeup or lighting or color grading or something similar

The Cinematography award DOES cover lighting and colour grading...that's kind of what cinematography is, to a large extent.

And songwriting is a lot more than just writing witty lyrics (which could be argued are closer to the Script award). The combo award infers a greater emphasis on the musical side, which is a positive from my standpoint.

2018 - Poutine Wolf (Duo/Ultra) - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to Andrew Todd:

The Cinematography award DOES cover lighting and colour grading...that's kind of what cinematography is, to a large extent.

And songwriting is a lot more than just writing witty lyrics (which could be argued are closer to the Script award). The combo award infers a greater emphasis on the musical side, which is a positive from my standpoint.

Fair enough, my post suffered from "toastie-burning-itis" so I picked some poor examples, but I guess my point was more that those particular combos felt like different skill sets, probably more like combining cinematography and make up, or editing, since part of the editing is color grading and things. I feel more strongly about VFX/animation being combined than score/song, but still think it's weird combining them.

Some of things are more continua than dichotomies, in that I think writing a song is quite distinct from writing a script, but you could probably place them beside each other and draw lines between them like Script.... |.... Song ...... | ..... Score. But I do quite like the idea still of having 2 awards so it encourages people to work hard on great musical songs (because there have been some great ones right? Like really great, haha), but also to consider scoring their own films instead of using existing music, but you're kind of going to do one or the other in a given film.

Anyway, it's all just reflection and thinking about stuff :) So many possible places to draw lines, but it's all good in the end!

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Rastinha:

Some of things are more continua than dichotomies, in that I think writing a song is quite distinct from writing a script, but you could probably place them beside each other and draw lines between them like Script.... |.... Song ...... | ..... Score. But I do quite like the idea still of having 2 awards so it encourages people to work hard on great musical songs (because there have been some great ones right? Like really great, haha), but also to consider scoring their own films instead of using existing music, but you're kind of going to do one or the other in a given film.

To be clear, as someone who often writes the music for the films I'm involved with, I'm never going to complain too loudly about there being more music-related awards. But assuming you don't pull musical, then in my own experience it's next to impossible to incorporate a full song into a 5-minute film, unless that song is the entirety of the music in the film. I wrote a short power ballad theme song for a film a few years back, to play over the end credits (back when it was still a 7-minute time limit), but because we were already squeezing the edit to jam it under the time limit, the song got cut.

So I guess all I'm really saying is that effective use of a song in a short film is close enough to effective use of non-song musical score that the difference probably isn't worth focussing on so much.

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

squire
Since: May 2013

In these types of dos, what happens is that the winner often (yes, not always, but OFTEN) ends up sweeping a whole bunch of categories. For example Best film often wins best actor, best script, best editing, best cinematography, etc. They probably deserve it, but I think it is better to see the minor awards spread around.
And I think the audience likes it too.

I'm not sure how you mandate this, but some of the ideas in this thread would help this happen (like best background actor, best of each genre, etc).

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines

DogsBreakfast

As an animation team it feels odd to be put with vfx, even though we also had a lot of vfx in this years film as well. To me they are quite separate skills.

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

jack3311
Since: Jun 2018

Any information on which nominees for 'Best Original Score/Song' came through score and which through song?

Mrs Dog's Breakfast

in reply to Rastinha:

Totally agree on Best Animation/ Best VFX combination. It's a crock. One's a genre and one's well ... effects. Extremely disappointed by this one and wondering how the hell it happened. Who was in the room? Were they high?

2018 - *Furry* (ultra/duo) Audience Favourite runner up Heat 3
2017 - *The Grove 2 - Survival with a vengeance* (ultra)
2016 - *A ba-a-ad habit*
2015 - *Barry's World* - Best Animation, Auckland
2014 - *Brick Impact* - Finalist, Auckland
2013 - *Frankie goes to Horrorwood* - Audience Favourite runner up
2012 - *Brick's Quest* - Audience Favourite
2011 - *Playin' The Game*
2010 - *Syd's Shop ...a study in Auto Erotica* - Audience Favourite.
2009 - *Doggone* (let's move on)
2008 - *The Sounds of Romance* - we were robbed!
2007 - *The Grove* - Finalist, Auckland & Best Script winner

Mrs Dog's Breakfast

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

"Odd"?? Is that the best you can come up with Husband? >smh<

2018 - *Furry* (ultra/duo) Audience Favourite runner up Heat 3
2017 - *The Grove 2 - Survival with a vengeance* (ultra)
2016 - *A ba-a-ad habit*
2015 - *Barry's World* - Best Animation, Auckland
2014 - *Brick Impact* - Finalist, Auckland
2013 - *Frankie goes to Horrorwood* - Audience Favourite runner up
2012 - *Brick's Quest* - Audience Favourite
2011 - *Playin' The Game*
2010 - *Syd's Shop ...a study in Auto Erotica* - Audience Favourite.
2009 - *Doggone* (let's move on)
2008 - *The Sounds of Romance* - we were robbed!
2007 - *The Grove* - Finalist, Auckland & Best Script winner

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Mrs Dog's Breakfast:

Totally agree on Best Animation/ Best VFX combination. It's a crock. One's a genre and one's well ... effects. Extremely disappointed by this one and wondering how the hell it happened. Who was in the room? Were they high?

I think I was initially cool with this combo because the number of animated films in CHCH this year is precisely... one. (And historically, CHCH has never had many.) Still, it's inarguable that these two things aren't really related, unless maybe you're appraising them on a purely technical basis.

Furthermore, I kinda feel that VFX itself is too limiting as a category, and instead I would prefer to see it get expanded to "Special Effects", in order to encompass in-camera practical effects also.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Andrew Todd

Gonna gently add here that 90 years into the Oscars, the AMPAS is still trying to get their rules and regulations right. I'm glad to see 48 experimenting with the awards categories, and even if a couple decisions don't work, they'll be stepping stones on the way to Award Category Perfection.

dramamike

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Potentially not all awards need to be given out in every centre.
If you have only one contender and it is rubbish/not very impressive/weaker than expected/whatever, then simply don't give it out.

I think VFX and Animation are so far apart that they are barely related, let alone twins.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

themorgan

in reply to dramamike:

Potentially not all awards need to be given out in every centre.

Agreed. Not all centres need to be treated entirely equally.

For instance the number of category finalists can be different depending on how big each area is, it doesn't make sense for BOP to have 6-8 finalists in each category, but it makes a lot of sense to me that they did that in Wellington, and I really hope they do something similar in Auckland.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 Late :)
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | Late & Bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Bad!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

ruth

We went large on noms in Wellington where there were a lot of contenders and it was just too hard to cull some out. Its really hard to acknowledge everyone - thats for sure. And it is hard when the top few clean up, but often they deserve it and thats why they win. We do try to make sure we acknowledge as many films as we can but sometimes they just don't quite fit an award. Its hardest with films that have great concepts but are a bit rough around the edges and don't quite pull it off, but still have a lot to love (theres a bunch of them in Wellington). Thats why we're writing reviews this year - so we can say how much we loved those random gems.