VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

LovelyBongoDrums
Since: May 2015

Feed for this Topic

Animations 2015

Hi everyone!

It would be great to get a thread going to see all the films and teams who did animations this year - we’ve seen a couple of excellent ones in the screening room, but it would be cool to see them all in one place.

This is our entry this year -'Let’s Play' sorry in advance if the song gets stuck in your head.

"Let's Play" by Lovely Bongo Drums

2016 | Wellingtopia | Dystopia | Audience Favourite
2015 | Let's Play | Musical | Wellington Finalist, Winner Best Animation and Best Original Song (Wellington), Nominated Best Director (Wellington), 1st= Audience Favourite
2014 | Rare Arctic Firefly | Against the odds | Wellington Finalist, Winner Best Female Director (Wellington), Nominated Best Animation (Wellington)
2013 | The Breaking | End of the world | Winner Best Actress (Wellington), Nominated Best Cinematography (Wellington), Nominated Best Actress (National)
2012 | I'm Actually There | Superhero | Winner Best Freeze Frame Ending (Wellington)

Sam Harris
Since: Apr 2011

My team's animation for this year:

"Pallo" by Squint Eastwood

Dawkward
Since: May 2013

in reply to Sam Harris:

Sam your animation was incredible. Please keep doing things like this. Me and my brother were pissing ourselves the whole time but that scene with the screaming skeleton made it for me. I can't explain why. Consider me spooked.

Lovely bongo drums, yours was fantastic. Was great to see it on the big screen. Can't wait to see what you do next year.

2016: Suede Mystery - Actor, Composer, Writer
2015: Loyal Buddy Film Wellington City Winner, National Runner-Runner Up, National Best Actor/Editor - Actor, Composer, Writer
2014: adz4u Film within a Film - Actor, Composer, Writer
2013: Bags Horror Wellington City Finals - Actor, Composer, Writer
2012: Sticks and Stones Fantasy Adventure (Late) - Actor, Composer, Writer
2011: Sketch Road Film Wellington City Winner, National Finalist, National Best Cinematography/Score - Composer, Writer
2010: Loosely Attached Twin Movie - Actor, Audio Technical

LovelyBongoDrums

in reply to Dawkward:

My team's animation for this year: "Pallo" by Squint Eastwood

Awesome work by your team this year, Sam. The style is great, and the sheer number of shots you guys did is pretty impressive. Loved all the details in the expression and the effects work!

Lovely bongo drums, yours was fantastic. Was great to see it on the big screen. Can't wait to see what you do next year.

Thanks Dawkward, and congrats on winning Wellington! You had us all trying to hide our tears at the end, good luck with the rest of the competition :)

2015 | Let's Play | Musical | Wellington Finalist, Winner Best Animation and Best Original Song (Wellington), Nominated Best Director (Wellington), 1st= Audience Favourite
2014 | Rare Arctic Firefly | Against the odds | Wellington Finalist, Winner Best Female Director (Wellington), Nominated Best Animation (Wellington)
2013 | The Breaking | End of the world | Winner Best Actress (Wellington), Nominated Best Cinematography (Wellington), Nominated Best Actress (National)
2012 | I'm Actually There | Superhero | Winner Best Freeze Frame Ending (Wellington)

toowit toowoo
Since: May 2011

Amazing work! I could listen to that song all day. Not sure if that's a good thing. Loved Pallo too, though when I heard Harper's voice I was expecting Peter Pan to show up. Then I remembered Peter Pan's not going to be there, duh.

Here is ours:
"Glasnost" by Fractal Pandas

2020: Taste The Happy (Whodunnit) LOCKDOWN SOLO
2020: Seven Eight Nine (Whodunnit) LOCKDOWN SOLO
2019: Banana Split (Coming of Age) ULTRA DUO
2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

dramamike

Just watched 'Pallo', and while I know basically nothing about how to animate, what I can deduce is that a truck load of work (and quite possibly the truck was one of those big Aussie road-train thingys- not a Jason Gunn Thingy) went into making it.
It was very very cool. Nice work Squint

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

LiamM

I really, really, really like 'Pallo' and you LovelyBongoDrums animators hit it harder this year - great stuff.

Here's ours: http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2015/auckland/floored/

2020 Lockdown Pendulum (solo, horror) | Mitchell's Here
2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

star striker

What software do all of you use for these animations ?
I've always wanted to have ago at this sort of animation.

I just did another one of my war stop motion animations for our team intro this year. I would run out of time if I tried it for the main competition.

lordbiggus

Here's ours...
http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2015/christchurch/2-way/

CHCH 2015: #2way - Other Dimension Movie (Chch Finalist, Regional Best Animation)
CHCH 2013: Azanti - Non-Dialogue (Grand Finalist, Chch Runner Up, Regional Best Cinematography)
CHCH 2012: 復讐 (Fukushu) - Fantasy Adventure (Chch Finalist, Regional Sexiest Looking Short, Best Actress - Vanessa Wells)
CHCH 2011: A Series of Unlikely Events - Quest (Audience Fav, Chch Finalist, Best Use of Line)
CHCH 2010: Judge
CHCH 2009: Frequencies - Real Time (Chch Runner Up, National Best Cinematography, Regional Sexiest Looking Short)
CHCH 2008: Bust A Move - Dance (Audience Fav, Chch Finalist, Most Perfect Moment)
WGTN 2007: Rope Burn - Grindhouse (Audience Fav)

lordbiggus

in reply to star striker:

We shot on a Canon 5DMKIII, using a live window feed via the EOS Utility on a 27" screen in order to double check lighting and focus.

We shot RAW and processed in Lightroom. Using after effects, we created a 4K master prores file with all scenes joined crudely together. Took that into premiere and placed it on an HD timeline, where due to the 4K resolution, we effectively had double the amount of shots if needed by scaling the footage to either 50% or 100%... or thereabouts to get the composition we needed. It's pretty rough, but our first attempt at stop motion during 48hours.

CHCH 2015: #2way - Other Dimension Movie (Chch Finalist, Regional Best Animation)
CHCH 2013: Azanti - Non-Dialogue (Grand Finalist, Chch Runner Up, Regional Best Cinematography)
CHCH 2012: 復讐 (Fukushu) - Fantasy Adventure (Chch Finalist, Regional Sexiest Looking Short, Best Actress - Vanessa Wells)
CHCH 2011: A Series of Unlikely Events - Quest (Audience Fav, Chch Finalist, Best Use of Line)
CHCH 2010: Judge
CHCH 2009: Frequencies - Real Time (Chch Runner Up, National Best Cinematography, Regional Sexiest Looking Short)
CHCH 2008: Bust A Move - Dance (Audience Fav, Chch Finalist, Most Perfect Moment)
WGTN 2007: Rope Burn - Grindhouse (Audience Fav)

LovelyBongoDrums

What software do all of you use for these animations ?

Our backgrounds were done in Photoshop, the characters in Illustrator and the animation with Toon Boom Harmony. It was a bit of a trail run for us too, as we hadn't used Harmony for animation before, but it was great for doing quick character rigs and is vector-based, so it works well with Illustrator. 

but our first attempt at stop motion during 48hours

Lordbiggus - For a first attempt during 48 hours it was super clean and well done! Doing anything frame-by-frame in 48 hours must be a mission and a half! 

star striker

in reply to LovelyBongoDrums:

Thanks, I have illustrator photoshop and adobe flash, currently knowing nothing about this type of animation would that be a similar workflow ?

Coming from more of a camera/real world background I'm not at all familiar with this stuff,I'm still really into it, but the idea of being able to do even simple animation short films sounds quite fun.

You have to organise actors and locations, props all that stuff, but with animation it's something I could do largely in my own time.

Will have to look up some tutorials.

star striker

in reply to LovelyBongoDrums:

By the way thought you animation was really cool !

LovelyBongoDrums

Haven't personally used Flash, but the Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash combo for 2D animation is very common, and I assume they integrate with each other nicely as they're all Adobe. I'm sure you'll find a lot tutorials and information online for working between them.

This book is also super useful as a guide/reference for animation principals and goes pretty in-depth into things like walk-cycles etc.

By the way thought you animation was really cool

Thanks! Just checked out your stop-motion intro, pretty cool too! I'm sure you'll find that some of the processes/ideas you think about with stop-motion will carry over to digital animation. Goodluck!

Rachel Mann
Since: Jul 2015

Hi, good to see people doing animation!! we need so much more of it in the 48! here is our wee animation, for this year

2014's
https://youtu.be/3XzEwZItQ5g

2011's
https://youtu.be/3XzEwZItQ5g

Rachel Mann

in reply to Rachel Mann:

whoops our 2011 one is here https://youtu.be/uoWEm58k3v4

DogsBreakfast

Heres our entry from this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QWz0GIaXKM&feature=youtu.be

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Mikealois
Since: Jul 2013

Hey! Great work Everyone!! Had fun at the Civic last night!

Congratulations to all the nominees and ILOVELOOPS for the win!

Here's our entry!!

https://youtu.be/s85xPusDibY

http://www.youtube.com/michaelalois
Team
2015 | My Box is on Fire
2014 | My Box is on Fire
2013 | My Box is on Fire
2012 | My Box is on Fire
2011 | Whenua Pamamoa
2010 | Whenua Pamamoa
2009 | Whenua Pamamoa
2008 | Whenua Pamamoa

TheBaronBearded

Hi everyone, a little late to the party but here's our animation.

White Bred by Monumental Motion

Mike Glasswell

Fantastic work guys, you all have fantastic films and the animation is pretty sweet.

Im one of the animators from I love loops. I worked on both of our entries in 2014 and 2015.

here is a our 2015 entry MEATLOAF