VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Feed for this Topic

2020 Lockdown Review Pyramid Scheme

I thought I would start one of these here as the FB page has gotten really noisy, haha. Of course this forum might be too quiet but worth a try.

I'm also missing that the films are not all listed to review right after you watch them so, although I will sift through the screening room and review ones I watch, I'd love to get some reviews too and target my review efforts a bit ­čÖé.

So, if anyone is still here, here's a link to my film and I'll definitely review yours too if you post it!

Remember ideally you review everyone before and after you.

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/tonight-on-extreme-quickfire-trivia/

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

jjosland
Since: May 2015

Yay cool idea! Just reviewed yours (My first review this year).

Here's mine!

Any Portal Will Do In A Storm

Mad Scientists
2020 Any Portal Will Do In A StormWho dunnit
2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

Emma_Wollum
Since: May 2020

Yay, keen to get in on this - and away from the Facebook comments haha! Here's mine, I'm a first-time entrant with approximately 52 hours of Adobe Premiere Pro experience...including 48Hrs :)

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/gluten-free/

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Nice work, Rastinha. As someone who has pushed these before I have an obligation to be in! Plus the Screening Room main page seems broken so this is a good way in to more than 4 films! Plus, I'm not going back to the FB page any time soon...

Here it is & thanks:

Shed

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

strtdrake
Since: May 2019

Great idea! Going through and reviewing a bunch now. Really impressive lockdown efforts from everyone involved! My contribution to my team as director ended up being scripts written on my phone, storyboards scrawled on lined paper and instructions yelled through FaceTime, really fun.

And the result:
Monday, 12:03

CraigWB

This is my first 48 hours solo project, which technically is a duo project since I had David Peterson record some lines of dialogue and send them over the internet.

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/read-are-the-tea-leaves/

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Era

Here's mine! Making my way through the list to review all others :)

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/hide-n-seek/?__requestid=dczjeak0nj6yg4gquswh&fbclid=IwAR133x9M__VqJ8r6GbeY6vMhPhNd2hPsp9GqJjzO6lkrGXnx7PcSlSlBUsg

SamHoward
Since: Apr 2020

First time entering 48 Hours. Loving all yours - got some reviews to write!

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/life-insurance/

Duck
Since: Jun 2011

Great idea, I've reviewed your one and will do for all of the above.

Here's mine "Shelter in Place"

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/shelter-in-place/

Cold Blooded
Since: Mar 2013

I like this. I'll start my reviews shortly (after the kids go to bed haha)
Here's mine - second solo effort after a Lego space mission last year.

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/the-fifth-wave/

2003 Mission from Venus [Romance] Editor
2004 Copy [Horror] best use of line, Editor
2007 The Grove [Crime] Ak finalist, Editor
2008 Lavatory Warrior [Action] Director/Actor
2009 Border Protection & You [Educational] Director/Editor
2013 Night of the Cones [Crime] Director/Editor
2019 Sure as ship [Real-time] Solo
2020 The Fifth Wave [Whodunnit] Family bubble

moneyshaker

Happy to review your films after my daughter goes to bed! I'd appreciate reviews too, if you're keen. Thank you! https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/permanent-resident/

Sarah Connor

Aww great! I've reviewed a fair few already and will continue because I think it's the closure that we all need. =)

Here's mine: https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/pray-love-eat/

olax

I'm keen to be involved! Should have time to review everyones tonight :)

Here's mine: https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/dogzilla/

LukeEarl

Jumping onto this too! Just reviewed yours and will do the rest on the forum before me throughout today /tomorrow.

Would really appreciate any reviews back on ours:

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/soul-sucking/

Thanks guys!

2020 Lockdown: Soul Sucking | Apple Fork
2019: Pop | Apple Fork (National Finalist, Auckland Runner Up)
2018: O Master, I Love Thou | Ash Street AKA Pigs Guts Films
2017: A Disabled Account 2 | Pigs Guts Films (Best Disqualified Christchurch)
2016: A Disabled Account | Pigs Guts Films (National Finalist, Christchurch Runner Up)
2015: Trollied | One-Off Productions

shaun32
Since: May 2015

Sounds good, I'm in!

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2020/lockdown-all-cities/sexy-men-behind-the-sex/

Will start working my way through and post some reviews this afternoon.

2020 Lockdown: Sexy Men: Behind the Sex - Unwanted Guest
2018: A Walk to Dismember - Splatstick
2015: Toasted - Horror
2013: Dreaming of Love - Converging Storylines
2012: W├╝nderbailout - Action
2008: The Surreal Killer - Horror
2007: Mike - Fairytale or Puppet

Rastinha

Hey folks, I've been dealing with a sick bunny over the weekend and yesterday, back and forth from vet, so I've done some reviews and will be catching up on the rest starting today. Apologies for the delay!

Great to see so many people in the scheme :)

2020 Lockdown: "Tonight On Extreme Quickfire Trivia" - Unwanted Guest - Pastafarian Productions (Solo, animation)
2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA/Animation)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

moneyshaker

in reply to Rastinha:

So sorry to hear! Hope your bunny is well now!

moneyshaker

Maybe I misunderstood the spirit of this scheme but I thought it was to uplift each other, especially since we filmed 48 Hours during lockdown? I'm saddened to see negative comments on each other's film reviews -- not just mine particularly, but everyone's in general. Some films weren't quite my taste, (some I didn't fully comprehend) but I've always been able to find an aspect I liked so I had something positive to say. #WeAreInThisTogether

CraigWB

in reply to moneyshaker:

For example? Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism, it's good to hear what people liked about your film but you also want to grow as a filmmaker.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Mista Teas

in reply to moneyshaker:

As long as it's not mean-spirited then there's nothing wrong with negative comments. Over the years I've turned a lot of those into positives; others I've ignored because I haven't agreed with them or the reviewer has missed the point. Others, have pointed out things I already knew; so fair enough! It's just feedback and by publishing your film you open yourself up to it. It's terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. Ever been to a 48HR screening where your own film is playing to a live audience? Best of times and the worst of times.

I try to be fair in my reviews - I'll point out what I liked and things that didn't work for me. I'll usually end on a positive note. I've done over 100 reviews this year (over 1000 on the old site) - usually read what others have written and I haven't noticed anything nasty. There is a flag to report anything that crosses a line.

As Craig said, if you want to grow as a film-maker then you have to receive feedback & fortunately 48HRS makes this easy. A "Loved it" review is nice but also the sort of thing your family & friends gives you and it's not particularly helpful. "It sucks" is of course just as bad. Reviewers who provide some explanation are gold. That said, with the quantity of films that have been made in this Lockdown edition it's unlikely that there will be some of the long, long reviews of the past so you might find many are pretty much straight to the point.

Not sure how many 48HRs you've done but reviews are all part of the experience. It shouldn't put you off. All (bar 2015 - forced to remove it!) of my 48HRS films are in the screening room so feel free to review away on them but also read what reviewers have written. It's not all positive & some of it winds me up but I'm grateful people took the time to do it and explain their thinking. Search for Everything Sticks. Hopefully, they show some progression!

I get what you're saying but it's also a shame if people can't express their opinion. And stand by your film and be proud. I'm proud of all my 48HR films and the team effort that went into them. And that is more important than any reviews.

It's also great that you are taking the time to review. Thanks, it is appreciated by people. There are a dedicated bunch who have done it for years and do their best to make sure each film gets at least one review. Imagine getting none; that is gutting! Cheers :)

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Rastinha

Most of the ones I've done (and I just have a few left to do now after more vet trips and a day of migraine this week conspiring against me!) the reviews all seemed pretty constructive.

As others have said, constructive criticism can sting, but if it's not nasty, it is really, really valuable for improving your craft and getting better results each time you do the comp. I always try to make a feedback sandwich - start with what I loved, offer something constructive that I reckon could improve it (which doesn't mean it was done badly, it's just much easier to be *more* objective about other people's films than your own so you can often find improvements), and then end with more encouragement/positive stuff.

If you see any that are outright nasty, do report them because that's not in the spirit of the comp. But reviews should have meat on the bones. I've been reviewing every Taranaki film for the past... 4 or 5 years and not many people have gotten into the reviewing there, so I always rely on the pyramid scheme to get valuable feedback to improve my films and see what worked for people etc.

Glad so many people made it into the scheme this year, was a bit worried the forums would be too quiet :)