VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

2019 Thoughts

Deathly quiet around here post-comp. So, let's have your thoughts on the 2019 weekend? Elements, genre, ULTRA, weather, timing. launch & hand-in! Anything.

I loved how the elements were left pretty open again which I believe allows for better integration than the line/prop/character did in the past. For ULTRA the fourth-wall breaking will be pretty obvious but that's a different story.

I really appreciated the set-up at the CHCH hand-in. Clear and obvious aisle to the hand-in desk and it was a super nice feeling having AJ on the mic announcing our team when we arrived. There was a great feeling in the room and generous applause for all teams.

Lots of new teams it seemed in CHCH this year and it also seemed like more teams didn't make the deadline than in the past. Maybe I just spoke to those that didn't!

Anyway...yours, thanks.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

steelpotato

in reply to LiamM:

Ah yes bingo Liam! I hadn't thought about it too hard and yes good list, it definitely is in vogue at the moment. I think also the loop to fix a personal problem is a lot easier to do because you don't need much of a budget at all :)

Andrew Todd

in reply to Rastinha:

All the "oh Jerry you're such a hypochondriac!" Moments are definitely not missed by me!

I would counter that between 500 teams, 48HOURS competitors will find ways of making ANY compulsory element grating and obvious.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Andrew Todd:

I would counter that between 500 teams, 48HOURS competitors will find ways of making ANY compulsory element grating and obvious.

"Hahaha! I, The Wind, look directly down upon you puny humans, and laugh at your ridiculous monuments in the shape of giant propellers. Don't you realise that you will never tame m-- ... What the--!"

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

steelpotato

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

That's basically what Lipstick Boys did. They might make the Wellington final :)

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Since they took out the character/prop/dialog I have found they stand out waaaaay less when watching the heats (apart from the wilhelm scream, that was the most standey outey ever!). I watched all 24 Taranaki films back to back and still had to remind myself partway through what all the elements were and to look for them, haha.

But yeah, there's always a few common uses that get hit multiple times (I'm looking at you farts) :P

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Brendon
Since: May 2011

I often didn't even notice the elements in the films this year (unless the filmmakers really drew attention to them).

TBALC / Team Moon

Captain Woodrow .F Call
Since: Apr 2014

I would like to see bamboo forest as a compulsory element next year.

Mista Teas

in reply to Brendon:

I often didn't even notice the elements in the films this year (unless the filmmakers really drew attention to them).

Personally, this is how I like it. So often in the past the character name or the line, in particular, were followed by a knowing, audible laugh from the audience - during serious films and in the more comedic when it wasn't a funny moment.

That said, if one of the old elements came back one year - all good! Keep shaking it up and this will keep things fresh.

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

themorgan

in reply to Mista Teas:

Personally, this is how I like it.

Same.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Andrew Todd

Seems to be a fundamental disconnect between two philosophies on the elements:

1. "UGH I have to put these in my FILM or I get DISQUALIFIED" - it doesn't matter how they're in there as long as they're there somewhere, and they're a necessary evil to keep the competition honest.

2. "I wonder how these can shape my story" - the elements are there to inspire the films and their clever and integral use is a big part of the competition's character.

Both approaches can lead to clumsy shout-outs AND to subtle integrations.

These are philosophies that can be exhibited by both filmmakers and the organisers. This year the competition skewed way towards #1 at the HQ decision making level, and it's consequently the first time I've done the same in my attitude.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Clayton Hiku

A bit late to this chat.

But here's my thoughts too.

I agree that this year is the most wide open and vague the elements have ever been. Although the last 2 years since ultra's introduction the elements have been noticeably easier but as we did Ultra both those years the comp still went up in intensity for us. But this year we decided to opt out of Ultra.

As a result, we were more stumped in the writing process this year than ever before! We threw out our 3rd script at 8 am on Saturday morning and started again with a totally new concept. We've never done that before. I reasoned that it was the Genre that got us on the wrong track. We had buddy movie and for the first time instead of brainstorming plot scenarios to write from we went down the rabbit hole of coming up with funny odd character pairings. When we would hit a good one we would laugh and say YES let's do that. Then instantly get stuck on.... But what are these characters doing? So that was a good learning experience for us this year. Focus more on plot-related writing than character traits.

But in hindsight, I also realize that the wide open elements were also part of the reason we were struggling. We honestly finished 4 scripts and each time would then go "OH wait. What were the elements again?" And then easily slide them in there. They didn't inspire story much at all.

Although I am happy that the heats are so much more enjoyable to watch these days as the elements don't take you out of the story after hearing "My name is and Im a _" 12 times in row.

I think that this also ties in heavily to the 7min vs 5min change as well. Both the elements being more subtle and the time change has meant that the (no offense intended) lower half of the films made each year is better for it. But for a lot of the Vet teams who can thrive off the extra time and extra direction it can be a bit harder. So I guess it's just a balancing act between the two.

Maybe next year there could be some either-or Elements. LIKE "a vague sound bite OR this line of dialogue" And then something like "A double take OR A Spit take"

This way there is the option for those who improve off vague elements and the inspiration for those who thrive off the extra direction?

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

ruth
Since: May 2011

Super interesting reading feedback on the elements. We try to balance giving teams something to inspire them in the writing process, while also not limiting them too much, or forcing them all to end up too samey. We spend a lot of time tossing ideas up on these. We did wonder about how many farts we were going to get this year and turns out not many in Wellington.

Oliver Roozen
Since: Jun 2019

in reply to ruth:

I think it probably varies based on the specific prompt people got, but the real-time-movie was something that really sparked the imagination of everyone on our team. It immediately went to the question of, do we make something that is hyperreal or do we make something that treats "real time" metaphorically? For us, the prompt (or genre or whatever you want to call it) was absolutely perfect.

Our team definitely discussed the fart idea but we thought it was a little bit of a cop out. That said, we did kinda have to shoehorn it into our film.

2019 break a leg (Real-Time) [Wellington City Finalist]
2018 Crumbling City, Tumbling Minds (Spans 10 Years)

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Oliver Roozen:

I think it probably varies based on the specific prompt people got, but the real-time-movie was something that really sparked the imagination of everyone on our team. It immediately went to the question of, do we make something that is hyperreal or do we make something that treats "real time" metaphorically? For us, the prompt (or genre or whatever you want to call it) was absolutely perfect.

For quite a while it's been the case that, in any given 48HOURS year, about half of what we nominally call the "genres" are not actually genres at all, but rather structural or thematic tropes, or in some cases simply a storytelling challenge: One-shot, Real-time, Bechdel Test, M. Night Shyamalan Twist, etc.

And I'm totally cool with this loose definition of genre in the context of the competition, cos those out-of-left-field 'genre' options have almost always been quite exciting to see revealed (and from my own experience, usually exciting to do).

But I wonder if the difference between 'genres' and genres this year might be a be more noticeable, because with the required elements being so generic and easily insertable this time round, the genre perhaps became one of the key drivers of story creation. And when you're sitting around spitballing ideas with the team at 7.30pm on the Friday night, "Real-time" is surely way more directly inspiring than a massively broad genre category like "Science Fiction".

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

CraigWB

I got Real Time in 2016 and I didn't do very well with it at all. I think it's a genre that rewards a certain kind of professional team. I think a bit in the vein of one shot in that way since there isn't really anywhere you can hide in terms of storytelling. I briefly toyed around with an action thriller time loop movie during the writing stage when I stopped it because I just didn't think I was equipped to do a good enough job of it. Turns out I wasn't equipped to do the dialogue focused movie I wrote either because I got all kinds of hiss all over the audio which killed the film.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

TheRealClose
Since: Sep 2017

Dynamic link between Premiere and After Effects has always been buggy for me.

If you have Macs, using AirDrop is the breeziest way to transfer files. That’s how we worked this year, and we copied al the footage onto a portable SSD that could move between us.

2019 // rip focus // a nipple in time
2018 // rip focus // A Slice of You
2017 // rip focus // A Ripple In Time
2016 // Bus Stop Studios // Knitting, Crochet & Embroidery

Oliver Roozen
Since: Jun 2019

in reply to TheRealClose:

Ironically I've always found Dynamic Link to work much better than the essential graphics feature built into Premiere. My desktop is a little weird. I'll do even basic credits in Ae.

2019 break a leg (Real-Time) [Wellington City Finalist]
2018 Crumbling City, Tumbling Minds (Spans 10 Years)

CraigWB

I've been having some thoughts this week so I thought I would throw this one out there. What does everyone consider a good rating on the reviews to be? I've been thinking about this because for some time now it's occurred to me that people have quite varying opinions on this and it could have quite an impact on what sort of score they give a film. Especially when you think you've been given poor reviews and someone else says no that's a good score.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Mista Teas

in reply to CraigWB:

What does everyone consider a good rating on the reviews to be?

I dunno, around 3/5?

It's not an exact science. You can get positive comments and then get 2 stars. And sometimes films have quite critical reviews yet get high stars. Doesn't always make sense.

It can be frustrating when you see your average dropping yet comments are encouraging.

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to Mista Teas:

I dunno, around 3/5?

I don't like the 7 star rating system as I think it makes it hard to pick a number... I'd prefer 5 stars but the ability to give half stars, because the way the numbers translate over with 7 nobody really knows what /5 score theyre giving but it's:

1/7 = 0.7/5
2/7 = 1.4/5
3/7 = 2.1/5
4/7 = 2.9/5
5/7 = 3.6/5
6/7 = 4.3/5
7/7 = 5/5

For example, there are a lot of films I'd want to rate 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5, but the only choices are 3.6 or 4.3. Most people go for 3.6 when they'd probably quite happily give a film a 4 out of 5.

Then there's the fun of "do I rate these films relative to each other, relative to all past Taranaki ones, or absolutely?" which makes a difference here in Taranaki. I review all the local films, and have to decide whether to benchmark them based on the best local one, or the same way I do since I review a bunch of national ones on the Pyramid thread too. But the couple of other people who review locally may just be basing it on local ones, and then my film gets reviewed by people from all the big fish cities so they're obviously basing it on the quality of all the films they've seen, haha.

Complicated kettle of fish, but I would really really really really prefer 5 stars with an accuracy of half a star.

To answer the original question I think if you manage to get around 3/5 you're doing alright, 4/5 pretty stellar, because of what I just said about the stars, lol. It's easy to float in around 2.9 because a lot of people give 4s for a decent film, 5s for a great one and 6 for an amazing one, with the very rare 7 on occasion.

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy