VF48Hours Forum

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

2019 Thoughts

Deathly quiet around here post-comp. So, let's have your thoughts on the 2019 weekend? Elements, genre, ULTRA, weather, timing. launch & hand-in! Anything.

I loved how the elements were left pretty open again which I believe allows for better integration than the line/prop/character did in the past. For ULTRA the fourth-wall breaking will be pretty obvious but that's a different story.

I really appreciated the set-up at the CHCH hand-in. Clear and obvious aisle to the hand-in desk and it was a super nice feeling having AJ on the mic announcing our team when we arrived. There was a great feeling in the room and generous applause for all teams.

Lots of new teams it seemed in CHCH this year and it also seemed like more teams didn't make the deadline than in the past. Maybe I just spoke to those that didn't!

Anyway...yours, thanks.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

DogsBreakfast

I was surprised in heat 3 & 4 in AK that previous winning teams had opted out of Ultra this year. They both did great films and interestingly the split screen element could have worked well for both Chillybox and Chess Club but a 4th wall break in Chillybox's would have ruined it.

Just curious if they had enough of ultra or didn't want to overcommit this year?

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Bloydd
Since: May 2011

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

Idk about Chess Club, but worth noting that two-time national winners Chillybox were also too scared to do Ultra last year as well

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Paul Harrop
Since: Sep 2016

The whole reason we do this competition every year is to have a great time with our mates and make something that we'd enjoy seeing while we enjoy making it. Last year Ultra was very stressful for us, maybe we bit off more than we could chew digitally attaching a severed kingfish head onto an actor in every scene but it nearly broke us. It wasn't fun. It wasn't why we enter the competition. We have won it once and come second so I dunno the fight for the crown isn't as important to us as having a good weekend with our mates who, as we age it gets harder and harder to get together with, let alone do something creative. So this year we decided to opt out of ultra and just focus on having a good time together. Let the chips fall as the will. ( I loved you film DB, your use of the Ultra elements was EXCEPTIONAL)

Chess Club
2019: Hart & Soul
2018: Small Fish, Big City (National Finals)
2017: Morgan Foster Presents: Mindcreep Cinema
2016: Text Back (National Finals)
2015: Bread Winner (Auckland City Winner Grand National Winner)
2014: Mind Creep (Auckland City Finals)
2013: I Got Robot's (2nd Grand National Finals)
2010: The Power Of Love
2009: Alex His Kids and Miracle World (Wellington Finals, Best Script)
2008: The Hack Pack
2007: Ghost Detectives

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Paul Harrop:

Hey Paul,

Totally understand where you're coming from. I almost didn't do Ultra this year as well due to the added stress, especially being a solo/duo team. After my first film in this competition, we decided the main focus for us was to have fun, make something we liked and hand in on time. Anything after that is just a bonus.

In fact I almost pulled out of this year as I was struggling with even finding a concept for a story till Saturday morning this year but I don't like to quit once I've committed.

I've loved your guys films for years. They always look so slick and awesome and the acting is always hilarious without being over the top. Wasn't having a dig, just surprised. Not sure if they'll keep ultra going after this year or not. Seemed like a bit of a mixed bag.

2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite

Andrew Todd

in reply to Paul Harrop:

After this year I don't think we'll be entering Ultra next year either. Wasn't fun at all - though ironically, Ultra was a blessing for us last year, as we were animating anyway. Animated animals are way easier (and more fun) than animated people.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Paul Harrop

OH No dig felt! Sorry if I came across as defensive! I reckon a lot of us "veteran" teams are in the same boat re: ultra. was a great new aspect for the competition but yeah. For those who are after a challenge yes amazing, those of us who love the competition for the fun of it... yeah not so much.

Chess Club

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Paul Harrop:

Totally agree. A bit of added challenge, not so bad but I think we'll drop it next year. Having to do everything split screen this year was tough doing animation and I could have spent more time on facial expressions etc instead of having to replicate multiple scenes

Gabe Lunte
Since: Jun 2015

in reply to Bloydd:

Speaking on behalf of Chillybox, you're right - we're absolutely cowards!

But in all honesty, we tried Ultra when it was introduced in 2017, and found that the added elements meant we spent more energy trying to bend our idea through arbitrary hurdles rather than just having fun. Like Chess Club, our favourite part of 48Hours is getting out there and experimenting with mates - this means striking the right balance between prompts and free-play.

We love the idea of Ultra in theory, and have massive respect for the teams that take it on! However, we've found that for our team, creativity best thrives without the added restrictions. We prefer prompts that are just restrictive enough to get the juices flowing, but open enough to foster creative interpretation. This isn't to say other teams might not thrive under ULTRA conditions - but for us, we're not huge on it.

So yeah, we're scared shitless.

Chillybox
2018: PepTok - Auckland: 2nd Runner-Up, Best Use of Genre, Best Director, Best Performer; National: Best Performer, Best Director, Grand National Winner
2017: Time Terminal - Auckland: Finalist
2016: Time Travel Centre - Heat: Audience Favourite; Auckland: Finalist; National: Peter Jackson Wildcard & Grand National Winner
2015: Clean Getaway - Auckland: Best Use of Character, Best Makeup; National: Finalist

Mitchell's Not Here
2014: Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories - Auckland: Best Use of Character

Fail Bagel
2012: According To Plan
2011: Repressed

That's Key
2009: Under Par

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Gabe Lunte:

No harm being scared :)

I loved your film by the way. I love how you pushed the dance/musical genre, very clever.

Gabe Lunte
Since: Jun 2015

Thanks! We were big fans of yours as well! It was the first Ultra I've seen this year, and it was very well done. Nice work!

Chillybox
2018: PepTok - Auckland: 2nd Runner-Up, Best Use of Genre, Best Director, Best Performer; National: Best Performer, Best Director, Grand National Winner
2017: Time Terminal - Auckland: Finalist
2016: Time Travel Centre - Heat: Audience Favourite; Auckland: Finalist; National: Peter Jackson Wildcard & Grand National Winner
2015: Clean Getaway - Auckland: Best Use of Character, Best Makeup; National: Finalist

Mitchell's Not Here
2014: Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories - Auckland: Best Use of Character

Fail Bagel
2012: According To Plan
2011: Repressed

That's Key
2009: Under Par

DogsBreakfast

in reply to Gabe Lunte:

Thanks! I'm really interested to see how the other Ultra teams handled the split screen.

BrotherInCrime
Since: Jun 2011

in reply to Paul Harrop:

I second Chess Club on the Ultra comments. It's great for people who want that challenge, but can take away from the experience if you just want that good excuse to make a fun project.

It was deathly hard for our team trying to write animals into the lead when we had amassed a huge group of actors that we were excited to incorporated. It took a very long 3am walk to write a script, and ended up very happy with a result, but it wasn't the personal experience I wanted. Not that writing without Ultra this year was any easier haha.

I'm also a huge advocate for the old elements (Character, Prop, and Line), personally I found it much easier to write in the short time-span by optimising these elements relevance to your story. I also thought general story quality was better as well, as every team was forced to write a defined character in you would always see at least one character in every film. Whereas the last few years you see a lot of teams with people just playing themselves, and often friends who have similar personalities. I really think the Character element was a great way to keep teams focused on developing character, and helped new teams get the basics right first.

Also beautiful films Chess Club and Dogs Breakfast (we're already planning on making a film inspired by The Drop).

Brothers In Crime
2019 - Some Family Business - The Secret Identity Movie - 1st Place Audience Award
2018 - Pussy Pussy Pussy Pussy! - The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years (ULTRA) - 2nd Place Audience Award
2017 - Santa's Smoko - Christmas - LATE
2016 - Tane Huata: Puppet Hunter - Puppet Movie - AKL Finalist & 3rd Place Audience Award
2015 - The Greatest Gunman - Mystery
2014 - Kevin's Journey: A Quest For Half - Fantasy Adventure - AKL Finalist & Nominee of Best use of Line & 3rd Place Audience Award
2013 - Sons of Thunder - Fantasy/Adventure
2012 - BBS (Big Black Snake) - Superhero and Erotic Thriller - AKL Finalist & 2nd Place Audience Award
2011 - Guest - Horror - LATE
Used Body Productions
2010 - The Stomping Ground - Femme Fatale
2009 - I Woke Up This Morning - Mystery
2008 - The Time Machine - Time Travel - All Teen Team - LATE
2007 - A Whole Lotta Apple Sauce - Crime - Best One Liners

Andrew Todd

in reply to BrotherInCrime:

I really think the Character element was a great way to keep teams focused on developing character

A thousand times yes!

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

DogsBreakfast

in reply to BrotherInCrime:

I totally agree about the old requirements (character etc) - I used to use it as a springboard for the script, this year I was in a dead zone for so long as I got more twisted up by worrying about the technical elements.

Glad you liked the film and I can't wait to see what it inspired :)

CraigWB

I almost feel obligated to do Ultra now for some reason though I guess the added challenge is only a big deal if Ultra is something which becomes quite difficult for me to pull off.
I guess the biggest challenge for me has always been to put together a team that I can compete with during the competition though I've become a lot more relaxed about it than I used to be. I also find it quite challenging if I start to feel ill on Friday night since it really eats into the writing. 2016 I was ill on Friday night and I just had to go to sleep and hope I would feel well enough to come up with an idea in the morning. In any case, I wasn't able to write a good script that year so oh well.

I do miss the old elements though, it added a formula to the competition. You had an idea of what to expect but you also didn't know what to expect. Trying to work the line in a creative way and finding a good example of the item which wasn't to cliche. Working the character into the script in a way that worked and wasn't some token addition.

As one of the lesser known regulars though I am noticing something at least about the Auckland competition which is that I'm seeing less and less familiar faces at the launch and the finish line. I ran into 1 person I knew this year and I think I saw the people from Chess club but that's all I recognized.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Paul Harrop

in reply to CraigWB:

Yeah we were there... we're always there..... We love soaking in the vibe and relishing the endorphin madness of hand in.

Chess Club

Paul Harrop

Come say hey, next time you see us! We'd love to build more community with the competition!

Chess Club

steelpotato

My thoughts after 9 heats in Wellington this year...1. yes please bring character back but ONLY if the required trait is a positive one. Lord knows that the years of the negative traits (hypochondriac, insomniac and liar) made some of the most negative films.

2. Horror as a genre has NOT been missed. At all.

3. Why the fuck was almost everyone on the same wavelength who got time travel? Almost every time travel film I've seen so far this year has taken the GROUNDHOG DAY loop approach :/

LiamM
Since: May 2015

Almost every time travel film I've seen so far this year has taken the GROUNDHOG DAY loop approach

Oooooh, that's quite interesting. Possibly reflects a bigger trend of properties that rip off Groundhog Day (Happy Death Day, Russian Doll, Edge of Tomorrow, Before I Fall, Naked).

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

I think I'd only want to see the character back if it were just a trait and not a name. All the "oh Jerry you're such a hypochondriac!" Moments are definitely not missed by me!

I think the character traits are usually negative because films/stories are built on conflict.

Maybe adding something that drives narrative similar to a character, but is just a type of conflict/struggle. Like "a tough decision", or "a sacrifice" or something?

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy