VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

stephbeath
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

To all you editors out there...

Is anyone keen to meet up and share some war stories and talk editing? I don't know many people who edit film and although my older sister has won an Oscar and a Bafta for her editing capability, she lives in London and is not available for me to learn from! How frustrating that is, I just can't tell you!!

I'm keen to meet up with some people who do this stuff and get some conversation happening. I' haven't found any existing groups listed online for Wellington - but maybe there is one already?

I'm just a junior editor - currently using Final Cut Pro and starting to learn how to use After Effects. I would be keen to share and learn about those in particular but also just editing concepts and tools in general. It would be awesome to meet some more of us 'behind the computer' types :)

Been doing this since 2006. This year put together a brand new team 'Muddy Funsters', got Crime genre, created "The Grate Cheese Caper". 3rd place in audience vote. Best year ever!

DERP Productions
Since: Jun 2011

in reply to stephbeath:

Hiya Steph,
Sounds like a blast, unfortunately I'm up here in Auckland, but if you ever come up this way, I can talk with you all about editing, post prod'n, shooting and sound... and lose all track of time and space...

stephbeath

in reply to DERP Productions:

That's awesome! I do come to Auckland from time to time (up there tomorrow actually but only for the day) - so I'd be keen to catch up with you.

I'll see how many people are interested in this idea and if there are a few I'll set up a 'meet up' and post the link to the group so that there's an easy way for us to get in touch on this topic.

Been doing this since 2006. This year put together a brand new team 'Muddy Funsters', got Crime genre, created "The Grate Cheese Caper". 3rd place in audience vote. Best year ever!

c0ina

hi steph,

what'd your sister win an oscar for editing? that's pretty hardcore!

sjpbaker

Hi Steph.

Would love to meet up with you but currently in Auckland, but I'm planning a trip down to wellington in a month or so. I've got plenty of horror stories to share.

Taunise
Since: May 2011

Is this a private party for editors or is anyone invited? I'm in Auckers too :)

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

stephbeath

in reply to c0ina:

Her name is Justine Wright and she won an Oscar for editing 'one Day in September'. You'll most likely not have seen it (most haven't) but you might have seen 'Last King of Scotland' or 'Touching the Void' or... Um... Can't remember the name of the Russell Crowe film she did just recently (starts with C).

stephbeath

in reply to sjpbaker:

Fantastic! So far 3 people from Auckland- perhaps I'll have to come up for a visit :)

stephbeath

in reply to Taunise:

Certainly not private :) the more the nerdier! If not editing, what's your passion?

Ronnie

in reply to stephbeath:

Hi Steph,

I also use Final Cut. Hobby for me and spend hours at it. Also Aucklander. Great idea to get a conversation going. Happy to meet up anytime arranged.

Cheers

Taunise

in reply to stephbeath:

Im a 3D artist but I also produced this year
A horror stories and funny moments meetup wouldbe nice. We could even discus upcoming projects

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

synthopolis

in reply to stephbeath:

You'll most likely not have seen it (most haven't)

Seen it. And have it on DVD. That's, like, 2 degrees of separation from an Oscar Winner (OMG - the adverts were true!!!!)

2020 - Lockdown Movie - Details to come
2019 - "Miss Galaxy 3000" - SciFi - (School Team) - Christchurch
2018 - "Blood Red Ted" - The Splatstick Movie - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2017 - "NEXUS 2 - Redemption" - Fantasy/Fairytale - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2016 - "NEXUS" - Dystopian Movie - Christchurch
2015 - "Armabreaddon" - Other Dimension - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2014 - "Mimicker" - Horror/Splatter - Christchurch
2013 - "Best Served Cold" - Crime - Christchurch
2012 - "Love Grinds" - Romantic Comedy - Christchurch
2011 - "Taurine Rising" - Superhero - Christchurch
2010 - "Silenced Night" - Femme Fatale - Christchurch
2009 - "The Judas Strain" - Conspiracy - Dunedin

synthopolis

Sorry. Posted twice. Deleted this copy.

2017 - "NEXUS 2 - Redemption" - Fantasy/Fairytale - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)

synthopolis

Steph - I'm overnighting in Wellington on Monday 1st August. Happy to catch up and chat then if it suits.

stephbeath

in reply to synthopolis:

That'd be fantastic! Let's do that and who knows - by then perhaps another couple of editor types will have emerged from the woodwork down here :) My cell number is 027 245 5859 if you want to send me a text so we can get in touch closer to the day?

Pastor Thug

This could be an amazing opportunity for some reality TV.
We all know that editors are reclusive souls with poor people skills that never venture out into public, so a meeting of more than three editors in one venue would be an unprecedented event.
Watching them share their favorite Pokemon figurines from the tops of their monitors with each other would be an extremely rare occurrence worth capturing for future anthropological study.
Just be careful not to frighten them with any sudden movements.

2011 The Audition - dance/musical - Blue Suit Productions

synthopolis

in reply to Pastor Thug:

Ooooooo.... *hushed whisper* ... Pokemon.

;-}

stephbeath

in reply to Pastor Thug:

Possibly true I fear, but... who would you get to edit it? :)

nimlin

i could if i was allowed out of my dark little hole :)

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

Shifty

in reply to Pastor Thug:

This could be an amazing opportunity for some reality TV.
We all know that editors are reclusive souls with poor people skills that never venture out into public, so a meeting of more than three editors in one venue would be an unprecedented event.
Watching them share their favorite Pokemon figurines from the tops of their monitors with each other would be an extremely rare occurrence worth capturing for future anthropological study.
Just be careful not to frighten them with any sudden movements.

Hmm let me see, do i fit the qualifacations..

Pokemon figure, nup i got a dancing Homer Simpson doll wearing a towel and fluffy slippers, little button on his hand and he sings dances to the song macho man and he's so big he sits on my PC tower.. So i fall down there.. blast..

reclusive? sort of, a friend stayed with me for two weeks, after two days I came close to shooting him.. So that i think is half a star for me..

Poor people skills, probably one star as i instantly hate everyone i meet as they're complete aresholes with no fucking imagination what so ever, every single dipshit one of them !!!!!!!!!

Going out in public? well probably half a star as i do go and get my own groceries but everything else i do on line.. i mean who wants to stand in line to pay a bill at the post office with the great unwashed only to be served by a career dummy..

I don't mind sudden movements which is why I eat plenty of baked beans and have the bog next door to the editing room with the door permenantly open, extra benefit of a bit of exercise, the only bit of exercise.. So I guess no star there..

Ah well that gives me sod all stars but on the other hand i just got a package today from Mr adobe with Premiere 5.5, after effects, full photoshop and audition..

monday is the big ritual ceremony when 6.5 is finally laid to rest in The Grave of the Unwanted Software out in the back yard.. Full military honours of course..

however on occassion i do visit the homeland of Auckland, the site of my definately miss spent youth so to see other dungeons would be rather cool, as long as the inamte isn't at home of course...

Perhaps i should film it and post it on line.. :)

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

treefrog

in reply to Shifty:

i mean who wants to stand in line to pay a bill at the post office with the great unwashed only to be served by a career dummy..

Word.

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite