VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Kendyll_Lowrey
Since: Mar 2015

Feed for this Topic

FCPX help!

Olay guys im slightly new to this and I thought since this is only my second year doing this I should ask for some help from you guys.... so ill be using Final Cut Pro X this year to edit our film, and I was reading some threads online and people are saying that its gonna take ages to render and then export.. someone even said it took 24 hours to export... and we obviously dont have 24 hours to render and export... Someone said it'll be faster if I just export with the settings ive set it on in the begining and export it as a quicktime file, then put it into HandBrake to change to the specs I need... Will this speed up the time? and is this right? :( Please help someone, wanting to make a decent attempt this year and I dont want to let down the group as editor this year :D Thanks people!! :D

(Mod: Moved to Tech forum)

tarlen
Since: Mar 2011

It really shouldn't take any longer to export from FCPX than from any other editor. I have only used FCPX a bit some time ago, and not for a 48 Hours comp, but it always seemed fine to me.

The best piece of advice anyone can give you with regards to your workflow is test, test, then test again. Get the camera(s) you intend to use, and film 20-30 minutes of stuff with it (better if you can records 2 or 3 hours - point it at your TV! :-) ).

Try importing the footage into FCPX, chop it up and move it around until you've got 7 minutes worth. If you plan to do any FX, do some of those. Add music. Grade. Basically whatever you plan/hope to do, with whatever tools you plan to use.

Then export it to see how long it takes to export to the appropriate file format. Make sure the format meets the requirements, and test that it works on a few different computers.

If it does take too long, try exporting to other formats and converting with Handbrake.

Either way, figure out in advance what the best solution is for you, then STICK TO IT. There is always a temptation to change things at the last minute, and it seldom works out well. :-)

2010 - "Lift" (Ghost - Lighting/FX) - Late
2009 - "Omnipedia" (Religious - Producer/Editor)
2008 - "The Perfectionist" (Superhero - Producer/Director/Editor)
2007 - "Bane" (Monster - Producer/Director/Editor)
2005 - "Super Boy Meets Girl" (Superhero - FX)
2004 - "House of Raging Women" (Educational - FX)

Giles
Since: May 2011

I agree with tarlen. You're only really going to know how long it's going to take if you test properly. You can't trust anything you read about how long it's going to take. Do a proper test, just as tarlen suggests, then you'll have a much better idea.
One other thing to note is that many cameras record in a format that isn't the easiest for the computer/editing system to work with, which can slow down the editing and rendering time, depending on your system. I've used canon dslrs and sony video cameras and before I start editing I transcode the footage to a format more friendly for the editing system. In my case I use Cineform Neoscene, which you have to buy, but there are others which I think are free. Doing that cut my export time on a 7 minute video with effects from about 45 minutes to under 20, and allowed the system to preview effects in real time much better while editing. If you've got a really powerful system, this might not apply to you, but otherwise it's good to know. I'm not a Mac guy either, so I don't really know what the situation is with those machines.

2014| Noise and Pictures | Rubble | Co-writer, Director, co-D.O.P., editor.
2013| Noise and Pictures |Gift-Wrapped| Director, co-writer, co-D.O.P., editor.
2012| Noise and Pictures | Brains? | Director, co-writer, D.O.P., editor.
2011| Noise and Pictures | Super Self Me | Director, co-writer, D.O.P., editor.
2010| Noise and Pictures | Bottle o' Love Director, D.O.P., editor, music.
2008| Naked Pictures | Merely Players | Actor
2007| Naked Pictures | Happy Valley | Actor
2007| ??????? | Fear it, Want it, touch it. | Editor
2004| The Hilariafia | This Topia | 2nd D.O.P.

tarlen
Since: Mar 2011

FCPX has an option to transcode the original footage to a "native" format. If your initial footage is a less supported format (I'm looking at you AVCHD), then transcoding makes your editing/exporting process MUCH faster.

It does take time to, but you can set it up so it transcodes in the background. That way you'll have slow/jerky footage to start with, but silky smooth editing within a couple of hours.

2010 - "Lift" (Ghost - Lighting/FX) - Late
2009 - "Omnipedia" (Religious - Producer/Editor)
2008 - "The Perfectionist" (Superhero - Producer/Director/Editor)
2007 - "Bane" (Monster - Producer/Director/Editor)
2005 - "Super Boy Meets Girl" (Superhero - FX)
2004 - "House of Raging Women" (Educational - FX)

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

What I've done is built a compressor preset and then added it to the share menu in final cut pro.
Once that is done unless you've got a really old Macintosh it shouldn't take very long at all to export your film, I think last year it took around 15 minutes and I've got the first generation 15inch macbook pro with retina display.
I doubt that using handbrake would speed it up as you'd have to effectively export the video twice.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Scotty
Since: Mar 2012

Absolutely go with Tarlens advice. Test all your equipment and test again. Then download 7-8 mins footage with more music,effects, transitions etc than you expect to use and do this several time just to make sure:)) Start doing this now when your not under pressure and have time to play. If not sure about stuff find an expert near you or come on here and ask . Don't get too wrapped up in big effects.

STORY IS KING.

Work out who is doing what. If its just you then hopefully you have a several split personalities
Sort out food and beverages on the Tuesday or Wednesday. Keep it simple and easy but have food.

YOU NEED FOOD.

Alocate someone who likes making lunch/dinner/midnight snacks/ 3am snacks even if its just ham rolls.

DON'T drink too much alcohol. I LOVE wine and have a few when I get home and editing ( i work with primary school and intermediate kids and am so glad that I can't as if i could i would probably fall over - I do that on Sunday evening!

And once you have done all that.

CHECK AND TEST AGAIN ON THURSDAY

Then have the most CRAZY,PUSH YOURSELF, CREATIVE weekend you want it to be:))

If You Go Down To The Woods Today......... http://www.v48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2012/hamilton/if-you-go-down-to-the-woods-today/

9.00am BOOM! https://vimeo.com/67687469 (Contract now taken out on tech gremlins who hindered our Masterpiece. You don't mess with PONGAKAWA FILM AND MEDIA CLUB!!)
LOOK OUT for the doco on what happened next!!

Detention Room - http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2014/hamilton/detention-room/

Last Ted Standing - http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2014/hamilton/detention-room/

jrodley

As others have said, play around with it and test it. If you're after some presets, here's a link to some Compressor settings that were posted a few years ago.

I still use these from time to time (pretty sure I used the 1080p one last year). I think FCPX can read them without requiring Compressor, could be wrong though.

Further to what tarlen said, if you find that it's laggy editing then FCPX has two main transcoding options - 'Optimised' and 'Proxy'. Both use ProRes 422. The latter option creates a lower quality copy of your source media for faster editing - you can then switch back to the original media for final preview and export. If your machine's quick enough though you may be able to get away with editing the original media directly.

As stated by the others though, test it lots and check your timings. Then on Sunday give yourself plenty of extra time. I usually do a rough cut export as soon as we've got all the required elements of the film, that way if everything goes sideways later on we have something we can hand in that won't be disqualified even if it's unpolished.

videoamp1969

in reply to Kendyll_Lowrey:

Hi,

It normally only takes about 15mins using Final Cut to export to compressor using the 48Hour required coding settings.

2019TIC - Tatooed Banjos-
2019TIC - Kitty Gorls-
2019 TIC - The Thirteen-
2019 TIC - Girls-
2019 TIC - Fresh Prince of Bel Air-
2019 TIC - Round Table Productions-
2019 Editor - Nang Sun-
2018 Editor - The Reality Wizards-"Speak Up"
2018 TIC - Titanic Swim Team-"Balloon"
2018 TIC - Utopia Studios-"The Game of Life"
2018 TIC - Round Table Productions-"Death by Natural Causes"
2018 TIC - The Thirteen-"An Unfortunate Development"
2018 TIC - Tattooed Banjos-"Installing"
2018 TIC - Silver Stars-"The Black Phantom"
2017 TIC - Round Table Productions- "???"
TIC - The Three Shushes- "Damsel"
2017 TIC - Lame Name- "Logan the Bogan" (3rd Audience Favourite)
2017 TIC - Pingkee and The Pitts- "Fierce"
2016 TIC - Team Wannab- "Strings Attached" (City Winner -Spirit of the Competition Award. Nominated for; Best Make Up, Best School Team)
TIC - Af Rican Good Time- "Guess Who?" (2nd Audience Favourite, Nominated for, Best School Team)
TIC - Abra Cadaver- "Charlie's Psychosis" (2nd Audience Favourite)
TIC - The Rowing Team "Wool they wake up?"
2015 TIC - Tanfastic- "Command"
2015 TIC - The Darkest Timeline- "Walking in Pain"
2014 TIC - Vatican Daycare- "Slumber" (Audience Favourite, Nominated for;
Best Cinematography, Rialto Rising Talent, Best School Team)

2014 TIC - Proximity- "Relapse"
2014 TIC - Chookie- "The Diary of Morgan Foster"
2013 TIC - Procrasti Nation- "Joker" (City Winner - Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2013 TIC - 2 Cameras 1 Film- "The Way Forward?" (Audience Favourite)
2013 TIC - Man Over The Fence- "Drama Queen"
2013 TIC - Is That Kaiapoi?!- "Inside The Mind"
2012 TIC - JK-"Lucky in Love" (National Winner - Rialto Rising Talent Award, Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Dividing by Zero- "Shadow in the Woods" (Nominated for City-Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2012 TIC - Who Gave Us That Camera Bro- "Can You Be A SuperHero? (2nd Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Stickey Fingers- "Before the devil knows ur dead"
2011 TIC - Da Decepticons- "Kylie's Corner" (2nd Audience Favourite)
2011 TIC -The Filthy Ninjas- "Burden of our Memories"