VF48Hours Forum

Ant Timpson
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

AUCKLAND AUDIENCE FAVOURITES

Congratulations to all the Audience Winners.
If you saw any films then please REVIEW the films on the Review site

HEAT ONE
1st Place - YOFO - Paranormal Printivity - Horror
2nd Place - ASTA2 - Shelter - Romantic Comedy
3rd Equal - ASTA - Mr Brick - One Shot
3rd Equal - CHASING THE DRAGON - Nicky Brick: Poon Destroyer - Superhero

HEAT TWO
1st Place - 10 TRUCKS - Happy Birthday Nicky Brick - One Shot (End of the World)
2nd Place - ADHDMi - Brothers - Fantasy Adventure
3rd Place - 1001 - Dead Meat - End of the World

HEAT THREE
1st Place - Toasted Wolfgang "Infelicitas" - Action
2nd Place - Hungry Lion Prods "Zomboy" - Horror
3rd Place - LBC The Successful Leaners "Water Bout" - Fantasy Adventure

HEAT FOUR
1st Place - Battlesoup "Briefcase of Pain" - Crime
2nd Place - Band of Wrong Tights "Brave New World" - Fantasy
3rd Place - Bald Faced Cheek "Love sic" - Rom Com

HEAT FIVE
First Place - Cheval House "New Flat"
2nd Place - Problem Officer "Brinbg me Back" - Crime
3rd Place - SS Endeavour - "Mistake" - Crime

HEAT SIX
First Place - Boats & Hobos "Relationship Pending" -Rom Com
2nd Place - Brothers in Crime "BBS" - Erotic/ Superhero
3rd Place - Burn the Dog "The Catch Up" - Crime

HEAT SEVEN
First Place - Chateau Cachasa "Funerals and A Wedding" - Romantic Comedy
2nd Place - Class Act "Yogi Badu" - Urban Legend
3rd Place - Just A few of Us " Dizzy Love" - Musical or Dance

HEAT EIGHT
First Place - Dogs Breakfast " Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure
2nd Place - D.E.R.P Productions "Open, Closed Doors" - One Shot
3rd Place - Dr Jeckyl "Ratty Crack Bride: The Ballad Of Nicky Brick" - Urban Legend

HEAT NINE
First Place - Fractured Radius "Tilting at Windmills" - Fantasy Adventure
2nd Place - Fraulein, oh Fraulein "Super Urban Legendary Adventure" - Urban Legend
3rd Place - Fleet Street - "Thank you, Mr Brick" - Inspirational

HEAT TEN
First Place - Goodfellas - "Daylight Robbery" - Crime
2nd Place - Grand Cheval - "Suck My Life' - Horror
3rd Place - Half-Shell "Finger Bang" - Action

HEAT ELEVEN
First Place - Idiotvision "Love Story Confessions" - RomCom
2nd Place - Haynes Film Ow "Blackout" - Found Footage
3rd Place - Half-Full "Who Gets to Go - End of the World

HEAT TWELVES
First Place - Sandspit - "Belief" - RomCom
2nd Place - Tsuki The Stunt Chicken (RIP) "Shenannigan Six" - Crime
3rd Place - Blindvision "Leaf of Life" - End of the World

HEAT THIRTEEN
First Place - Wontree Production "Straight Edge Artist" - Inspirational
2nd Place - Kamikaze Panda "Me" - Inspirational
3rd Place - Keep It PC "Black & White" - Horror

HEAT FOURTEEN
First Place - Lense Flare "Girl With Clover Tattoo" - One Shot
2nd Place - Mind Step "it's Our Bay" - Crime
3rd Place - Lock that Down "My Parents Will Love you" - RomCom

HEAT FIFTEEN
First Place - Mukpuddy - "Love in Decay" - RomCom
2nd Place - Mother Would Be Proud - "Love Dumb" - Inspiratonal
3rd Place - Oi Girl - "Mary's Mirrors - Urban Legend

HEAT SIXTEEN
First Place - Picklethugs "Phobia" - Horror
2nd Place - Polester Reelers - "Once Upon A Gladiator" - Fantasy Adventure
3rd Place - Park Road Social - "Last Night" - One Shot

HEAT SEVENTEEN
First Place - Voltron And The Holograms "The Wiz-Nap" - Found Footage
2nd Place -Red Delicious- "Love is Green" - Musical or Dance
3rd Place - Random Head Scratch - "One Lady Owner" - Found Footage

HEAT EIGHTEEN
First Place - Sinistral - "Go Fish" - Urban Legend
2nd Place - Scratch Negatives- "12" - End of World
3rd Place - Shot Brother - "Lucky Last" - Horror

HEAT NINETEEN
FIrst Place - Snowpeas - "Dance-aholics" - Musical/Dance
2nd Place - Smoking Monkeys - "He Will Come" - One Shot
3rd Place - Sunshine Dinosaur - "Five O'Clock" - Erotic

HEAT TWENTY
First Place - Team Try Hards- "The List" - Fantasy Adventure
2nd Place - Terminal Rise - "La Piscine Thermale" - Urban Legend
3rd Place - Tenacious Turtles - "Bros Super" - Superhero

HEAT TWENTY ONE
First Place - The Viewmasters - "Battle of the Bricks" - Action
2nd Place - The Urewera Eight - "Benefit of the Doubt" - Crime
3rd Place - The Hopefuls - "The Unexpected" - Horror

HEAT TWENTY TWO
First Place EQUAL - thedownlow concept "Seed" - End of the World
- Two big Tools - "The Brick" - Superhero
3rd Place - Too E Taa Hee - "Feilaulau (Sacrifice) - Inspirational

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

brutallyhonest
Since: May 2012

in reply to themorgan:

yes that's what I meant thank you .. can't wait to see what Sinstral has in store for us this year, and Idiotvision

xpandnz

Our film showed last night at the 7pm heat. We had a good chuckle and was cool to see everyone have a chuckle too. We were so happy just to see it on the big screen. While we didn't get audience favorite, a lot of us purchased tickets to the final on the 2nd because we love watching films! Some of the stuff last night was priceless. That 'Benefit Of The Doubt' film was just so funny. Good effort on the last film too. Straight up one of the best shot films I seen in this competition. Good luck to all the finalists.

DylanReeve
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to themorgan:

I figured he was just making excuses for his short being super overexposed.

I'll take another look at the sequence in the suite and the compressed file at some point, but I'm fairly sure the exposure was fairly good, certainly not blown out. Of course the original grading plan didn't come to fruition anyway, so perhaps I messed up some shots in the rush to finish it? Don't think so though.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

themorgan

in reply to DylanReeve:

It may just have been that look of ultra-low-contrast "greyness" you get with some ungraded footage.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Bryan Byeong Young An

in reply to DylanReeve:

well same thing happend with our film (heat 13).
First i thought it was our mistake so i looked into my mac, pc, HD TV screen and
even into projection at my friend's place but no problem with exposure.

Well still i'm not sure about the settings at the screening
but well what can i say... maybe i'm wrong

CraigWB

What's all this exposure stuff? It's a commercial theater they are running the bulbs dimmer then they should do to save money lots of theaters do this (Unfortunately).

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

CaptainHook

Hey guys,

As a first-timer this year i thought i would post my thoughts on my experience in the comp and a little about myself!

I was the DOP/Cinematographer/Camera Op for Grand Cheval, and apart from Tim who i've shot a music vid and wedding with, i met the team for the first time on Friday night at the start of the competition!

My background is actually audio, and i was the Head Engineer at York St Recording Studios for almost two years but went freelance (again) last christmas and this was my first time shooting a 'narrative' like this. I've done a few music vids for friends, and the odd thing corporate shoot here and there, but nothing at ALL like this and it was a CRAZY amount of fun.

I got into photography quite a few years ago, and have been obsessed with lighting and colour ever since. I also now refer to myself as a "Frequency Wrangler" as i find the parallels between audio engineering/photography/film to be abundant and in either activity i find i love to capture and manipulate frequencies, whatever the spectrum range. And music/photography/film is all about communicating emotion and telling stories. :)

Anyway, doing this comp has definitely given me the bug for DOP work and i definitely want to try do more, so thanks to Ant and everyone involved! Was really cool to see what i had shot on the big screen for the first time. Unfortunately we didn't have time for me to grade anything so it was all straight out of camera, but i was still pretty happy with it!

I've read the reviews for the teams entry, and although i'm basically oblivious to the history of the comp and for the most part my team, i can understand some of the comments. One i would like to address though, is the amount of effort put into our film. From my point of view, it was immense! After meeting the guys friday night, i arrived back at their place at 6am sat and they had been up basically all night writing the script. From there we shot and wrapped shooting at 4am sunday(!!!!) and although i got to go home and get some rest/sleep, the guys had to keep at it. When i came back the next day they were HARD at work editing and trying to get the story right. They really busted their balls (i'm sure all teams did) with next to no sleep. Because there wasn't much i could do while they worked on the edit, i spent the afternoon working on a VFX shot for a bathroom scene we did (also tons of fun to do!). I hope this doesn't come across as too defensive, but i really had assumed anyone watching our entry would appreciate just how much hard work went into it. It was disappointing to see that didn't come across to some. :(

Anyway, back to the positive - Goodfellas - Great work. I don't think anyone could deny how well executed that was. Great steadicam work too. After our heat i looked you guys up and wasn't really surprised to see your director has done things such as jono's new show etc (coincidently i mixed the songs for my friends Jaden and Sam from The Red Sea Buoys when i still worked at York St that appeared in each episode for the jono project!)

So in conclusion, thanks again to my team and the organizers for such an amazing weekend! :D
I really hope to get along to the city finals this weekend to check out the other films!

DylanReeve

in reply to CraigWB:

What's all this exposure stuff? It's a commercial theater they are running the bulbs dimmer then they should do to save money lots of theaters do this (Unfortunately).

I believe the projector is provided by 48HOURS not the theatre's own. But I could be wrong.

Given we have possibly seem black crushing and highlight clipping, I wonder if it's calibrated for a 601/709 colour level, rather than "full swing" RGB... ie. the white level set to about 235 and black at 16 in RGB terms. It wasn't a biggie, but my film definitely seemed "hotter" than I expected it to be.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek

Craig
Since: May 2011

No Prime Rib this year? Or are they reincarnated under another name.

BrotherInCrime
Since: Jun 2011

in reply to DylanReeve:

Yeah my editor (brother (in crime)) said he thought it might be because we exported rgb.

Brothers In Crime
2019 - Some Family Business - The Secret Identity Movie - 1st Place Audience Award
2018 - Pussy Pussy Pussy Pussy! - The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years (ULTRA) - 2nd Place Audience Award
2017 - Santa's Smoko - Christmas - LATE
2016 - Tane Huata: Puppet Hunter - Puppet Movie - AKL Finalist & 3rd Place Audience Award
2015 - The Greatest Gunman - Mystery
2014 - Kevin's Journey: A Quest For Half - Fantasy Adventure - AKL Finalist & Nominee of Best use of Line & 3rd Place Audience Award
2013 - Sons of Thunder - Fantasy/Adventure
2012 - BBS (Big Black Snake) - Superhero and Erotic Thriller - AKL Finalist & 2nd Place Audience Award
2011 - Guest - Horror - LATE
Used Body Productions
2010 - The Stomping Ground - Femme Fatale
2009 - I Woke Up This Morning - Mystery
2008 - The Time Machine - Time Travel - All Teen Team - LATE
2007 - A Whole Lotta Apple Sauce - Crime - Best One Liners

BrotherInCrime
Since: Jun 2011

in reply to CaptainHook:

Thanks for the in-depth summary of your teams efforts over the weekend. I am surprised at your lack of experience in DOPing because the film was amazingly shot, and incredibly impressive that the end result was without any grading. What were you shooting on?

Am really glad to hear the ammount of effort the boys put in, and its great to know that some of the more experienced teams are still up all night editing and planning. We had a similar experience, having a sound guy and a two man crew for every other role.

I've been quite dissapointed with the feedback that Grand Cheval has been recieving, but I suppose high expectations are always going to be placed on any returning champion teams.

I thought the cinematography was simply amazing and possibly the best I have seen at the 48 hour, and the horror elements were really well done, and despite sticking to comedy they actually managed to have a more convincing horror than most pure horrors. However I do agree that it was a little disspointing to see them not steer away from comedy, and the story was a little thin, but these are only minor flaws that I think people are blowing out of proportion due to the teams status in the competition.

Brothers In Crime
2019 - Some Family Business - The Secret Identity Movie - 1st Place Audience Award
2018 - Pussy Pussy Pussy Pussy! - The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years (ULTRA) - 2nd Place Audience Award
2017 - Santa's Smoko - Christmas - LATE
2016 - Tane Huata: Puppet Hunter - Puppet Movie - AKL Finalist & 3rd Place Audience Award
2015 - The Greatest Gunman - Mystery
2014 - Kevin's Journey: A Quest For Half - Fantasy Adventure - AKL Finalist & Nominee of Best use of Line & 3rd Place Audience Award
2013 - Sons of Thunder - Fantasy/Adventure
2012 - BBS (Big Black Snake) - Superhero and Erotic Thriller - AKL Finalist & 2nd Place Audience Award
2011 - Guest - Horror - LATE
Used Body Productions
2010 - The Stomping Ground - Femme Fatale
2009 - I Woke Up This Morning - Mystery
2008 - The Time Machine - Time Travel - All Teen Team - LATE
2007 - A Whole Lotta Apple Sauce - Crime - Best One Liners

UreweraJack

in reply to xpandnz:

Thanks, "Benefit of the Doubt" was fun to make, which film was yours? We pretty much just set out to have fun and make ourselves laugh and if other people do too then that's always a huge boner! I mean bonus...

Nick Burridge

in reply to Craig:

No Prime Rib this year? Or are they reincarnated under another name.

I believe the Prime Rib lads were busy with a show in the Comedy Festival this year: 'BOMBS AWAY: A MUSICAL'

was rip-snortingly hilarious too

CaptainHook

in reply to BrotherInCrime:

Wow, thanks for the very kind words! It's a cliche, but honestly without the hard work/talent from the rest of the team/crew it would not have looked like that (good or bad). Lessons i've learnt from audio/photo production seem quite universal in that what's infront of the lens/microphone matters most. I did try to influence that as much as possible (i used adobe kuler to create a palette for the film - lighting - smoke for atmos - shot decisions, etc), but there's no way i can take sole credit. Being modest, i believe many here could have done just as good/if not better in my position with that Team/Crew behind them. Being not-so-modest, my photography has been influenced by cinema for the last few years and i guess that comes through? (captainhook.co.nz) I also watch a LOT of TV with my GF and (probably) annoyingly i quite often pause and take a screenshot (we watch on laptop) so i can reference/deconstruct it later. ;)

Our entry was shot on a 5D MKIII (my GF's - she has a real job! - i can't afford to upgrade :( ). I think the low light capability saved us in a few shots.. there's a couple at iso 3200 which looked totally useable to me and would have looked even better had i the chance to use some noise reduction! (i'm certain there's quite a bit in camera already..) To compare, i get nervous going over iso 1000 on the MK II. This is the second time i've shot with the mkIII and i think it's really great. Rather than use cinestyle or some other flat profile, i chose to get as close to the look i wanted as possible in camera as i've learnt from the audio/photo world that it always ends up better for me after additional post processing. That turned out to be a good decision seeing as there was no time for grading as mentioned. My GF and I have a few lenses together as well, we just started a wedding photog business in Jan (acoupleofnightowls.com) and are growing our kit, but i've also used my audio and photo work to fund purchases for my moving picture 'hobby' so i have a zacuto EVF, small HD dp6, and a few other accessories we used on the shoot.

The team/crew really did put in a TON of work. Tom who wrote/directed was also performing a comedy show every night over the weekend (fri/sat/sun) and i can't fathom how he managed it all as well as he did!

I can't wait to see more films by everyone. I've never had as much fun as i did that weekend (or been so stressed for the hour before the hand-in deadline!!!!). :)

Ant Timpson
Since: Mar 2011

Captain Hook.

My guess is you are going to be one busy and in demand DP for a loooong time.

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

Taunise

Cmon' heat 22! :D

I have to say it's really impressive how quickly heat results are posted. Whoever does the tallying is awesome.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

CaptainHook

in reply to Ant Timpson:

Thanks so much Ant! Appreciate the kind words and that would be great if true! And thanks again for providing this platform for all of us! The event is very well done from what i've seen so far. :)

DylanReeve

in reply to themorgan:

I figured he was just making excuses for his short being super overexposed.

I just took a look at the file I delivered, definitely not overexposed. All exposures were within a safe RGB range.... Not sure what was up with the projection - it wasn't hugely off, but certainly a bit. But given that I'm used to seeing my work displayed on any number of random shitty TVs I'm fairly used to things looking almost nothing like they should ;)

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek

Chris Tempest

in reply to Peter Haynes:

Wow, Del Sur didn't even take out a place in heat 8? I am STUNNED.

you will see when all the films get posted that Del Sur was a great film in my opinion but the heat was just too strong with a diverse range of films but i think the main reason is just that it took the serious road rather than making the audience laugh. not that u need to have a funny short, its just that, especially in a heat as strong as 8 it helps to have something really entertaining. leaving the cinema and talking to a mate who didnt go, usually the first thing that will come to mind is "you need to see this film its soo funny" rather than "this one film touched me in a way that only my uncle could... deep inside" im off topic now but u get the gist. the majority opinion wins by definition on audience votes. ENTERTAIN

shooter

in reply to DylanReeve:

Dylan...I believe the "exposure issue was the dreaded QT gamma shift.

I checked back in my suite today after seeing our film last night.

Waveforms indicated a Gamma shift.

Now-- back on track....where are the Heat 22 results?

2013 Race against the Clock : Editor: Toe Jam Productions 'Hens Night'
2012 One Shot : Editor : Toe Jam Productions 'Switch'
2011 Horror : Editor : Toe Jam Productions ' Bad Rock'

This topic is closed.